Running in Place Question

Options
I use running in place as a warm up to loosen up and get blood flowing so it’s not the work out itself, but I ran in place for 20 minutes as my oldest was telling me about her day and I lost track of time. The Fitbit said 2 miles. If I ran 2 miles running in place what would that likely average out to if I was running outside? 1-1.25?

Replies

• ryanmichaelhorn
    ryanmichaelhorn Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Depends on quite a few factors, but this would be the equivalent 6.0 mph on the treadmill. Did you feel like you were exerting yourself this hard?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Depends on quite a few factors, but this would be the equivalent 6.0 mph on the treadmill. Did you feel like you were exerting yourself this hard?

???
    6 miles in 20 min? Highly unlikely 🤪
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I use running in place as a warm up to loosen up and get blood flowing so it’s not the work out itself, but I ran in place for 20 minutes as my oldest was telling me about her day and I lost track of time. The Fitbit said 2 miles. If I ran 2 miles running in place what would that likely average out to if I was running outside? 1-1.25?

You're right that the two miles is a bad estimate. Unless you're *really* into it, you're most likely not averaging a 10 minute mile by running in place.

It's harder to figure out what this would be equivalent to, unfortunately.

If you know your walking pace, that might give you a good place to start. Walking a mile in 20 minutes might be reasonable for you. We know that you're probably doing more work than walking, but not enough to run a 10 minute mile. So if we look at it that way, then 1.25 miles is probably a good conservative estimate, but it would depend on how much you were exerting yourself. I'm assuming a light jog, not burning up some linoleum :)
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

???

6 mph would be a 10 minute mile. That still seems VERY fast for running in place, though.
  • Nysportsred
    Nysportsred Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »

???

6 mph would be a 10 minute mile. That still seems VERY fast for running in place, though.

I’m going to say no to this one personally lol

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Is it even a thing to convert running in place to road miles?
  • Nysportsred
    Nysportsred Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Is it even a thing to convert running in place to road miles?

I figure nowadays you can convert anything or at least make it up and report it as research.

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    fitbit bases distance of arm swings so it could add distance depending how much movement you had
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    it would depend how fast you were running in place and how high you were lifting your legs, and probably depends on some other things, as well.

if you were moving your arms actively enough to be counted as steps, well, this is why i wear my fitbit on the waist of my pants. which doesn't work for all fitbits...
  • mim619
    mim619 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Personally my walking pace gets me just over 1.25miles in 20 min. I would probably give myself 1.5 for running in place for 20. But I haven't run in place since Wii fit was popular so... 🤷