Question

Options
If an item has 36g carbs but has 28g of dietary fiber, when you scan it, does it count as 36g of carbs or does it take those 28g of dietary fiber out of that number so it would be 8g of carbs? I hope this makes sense :#

Replies

• Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    It counts as 36g of carbs because those 28g do not lose their calorie content. MFP does not distinguish from where those grams of carbs are coming from, just like they do not distinguish from the different types of fat because that is irrelevant to weight loss/gain.
  • rach51086
    rach51086 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It counts as 36g of carbs because those 28g do not lose their calorie content. MFP does not distinguish from where those grams of carbs are coming from, just like they do not distinguish from the different types of fat because that is irrelevant to weight loss/gain.

ok that makes sense..thanks!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    if you are only counting net carbs then yes you would only count 8g (i.e. if you were doing keto or similar) - personally, i count all carbs, but focus on getting sufficient fiber
  • rach51086
    Options
    if you are only counting net carbs then yes you would only count 8g (i.e. if you were doing keto or similar) - personally, i count all carbs, but focus on getting sufficient fiber

I am counting all carbs as well, no keto or anything special. Thanks!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,945 Member
    Options
    okay. I have to ask...what food has 36g carbs and 28g fiber?!

:o
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options

They may not "lose" their calorie content, but fiber is by definition indigestible, so they do not contribute as much energy for your body to use as digestible carbs. Some of the fiber is fermented by bacteria in your intestines, and that produces some fatty acids that your body can digest. Best guesses apparently are that fiber delivers between 1.5 and 2.5 kcal of energy per gram for your body to use (the bacteria uses some of the remainder, because that's why it's fermenting the fiber in the first place -- it's not doing it for your benefit).

See

https://www.nap.edu/read/10490/chapter/9#349

• rach51086
    Options
    okay. I have to ask...what food has 36g carbs and 28g fiber?!

:o

I can't remember now! lol