Finding it difficult to limit carbs

Options
I was told by my doctor that I have prediabetes and that I should try to limit my carbs (i.e. have bread once a week max and eat meat, eggs, and vegetables only). I also want to lose around 100 lbs. I have tried keto off and on multiple times but I can't ever stick to it. I'm just finding it hard realistically to keep my carbs low. I feel very restricted and then when I inevitably eat carbs I feel like I've failed my body and my health.

Can anyone with prediabetes or blood sugar problems chime in on this? Is it really necessary to eat a low carb diet when you have prediabetes? I know for weight loss it's CICO, but surely I'm not doomed to a low-carb diet forever b/c of prediabetes?

Replies

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    If you are still trying, you have not failed! You just hit a bump in the road. Use it as a learning experience. Do you eat more carbs when you are hungry? When you are tired? When you are stressed? Learn to manage it. When you want carbs, reach for something else instead. Take a deep breath. Ask yourself what you really want. Sleep? Dinner? An answer to problems?
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    keto is very restrictive for me but I do low carb, 100 gr or less and log my calories . If I can do it anyone can. A friend of mine did this and lost 160 lbs. You can have right many carbs for 100 gr
  • mystgrl28
    mystgrl28 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Maybe your doctor meant refined carbs? That is bad for diabetics. But I dont see a problem with low GI carbs. Following this post as I want to have a low carb, high protein diet as well and am struggling to keep my carbs low. Im a carb monster hahahahaha.