Shortage of Broccoli!

Options

Replies

• saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Interesting info & videos on broccoli
    https://nutritionfacts.org/topics/broccoli/

About frozen vs fresh, this dr also suggests that frozen loses sulforaphane bioavailability and this could be countered by adding mustard powder.

• lesdarts180
    lesdarts180 Posts: 2,727 Member
    Options
    Well, I went shopping this morning. First to the Co-op supermarket where I do most of my shopping. The sugarsnaps were from Peru, the brussel sprouts from South Africa, even the frozen broccoli was from Portugal. They didn't have any cauli or ordinary broccoli but they did have tenderstem broccoli from Worcestershire (which is only an hour up the road) so I got that. I also got british carrots, lettuce, cucumber, and mushrooms.
    Second, I looked in the greengrocer (where I ought to shop more) and they did have broccoli but no cauli, however, they did have romanesque (have I spelt that properly?) which I do like but is a bit pricey, and anyway, I already had the tenderstem.
    Then, in the interests of research I went to ASDA - which had British broccoli, and cauli from Holland. I have to admit, I bought a cauli.
    I didn't visit Waitrose - perhaps I'll continue my research there tomorrow.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    saintor1 wrote: »
    Interesting info & videos on broccoli
    https://nutritionfacts.org/topics/broccoli/

About frozen vs fresh, this dr also suggests that frozen loses sulforaphane bioavailability and this could be countered by adding mustard powder.

Interesting. I grow broccoli sprouts. They are very high in sulforaphne in the sprout state. Great on sandwiches and salads. Very easy to grow and store.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    If I didn’t buy fresh veggies cuz they’re not locally grown, I wouldn’t have fresh veggies/fruit for most of the year. I prefer my veggies al dente, or raw, so I buy fresh. I don’t like mushy vegetables, for the most part.

I'm the same but for some greens that I buy frozen and tomatoes which I buy canned in the winter since I hate non-local tomatoes for the most part.

• ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    (...but in the meantime, I'd recommend courgette. Or maybe marrow, if anyone still sells marrows.)
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Well, I went shopping this morning. First to the Co-op supermarket where I do most of my shopping. The sugarsnaps were from Peru, the brussel sprouts from South Africa, even the frozen broccoli was from Portugal. They didn't have any cauli or ordinary broccoli but they did have tenderstem broccoli from Worcestershire (which is only an hour up the road) so I got that. I also got british carrots, lettuce, cucumber, and mushrooms.
    Second, I looked in the greengrocer (where I ought to shop more) and they did have broccoli but no cauli, however, they did have romanesque (have I spelt that properly?) which I do like but is a bit pricey, and anyway, I already had the tenderstem.
    Then, in the interests of research I went to ASDA - which had British broccoli, and cauli from Holland. I have to admit, I bought a cauli.

Interesting they are from so far away in many cases at this time of year.

I can get locally (from a green market that local farmers go to, as well as my garden and farm subscription) all the things I mentioned and more right around here, as well as broccoli and cauli, and it's been a generally bad agricultural year due to rain. I wouldn't have thought the UK was so different. I do live in a farm state, but most of that is BigAg, so corn/soybeans (where the harvest has been a disaster), so again I wouldn't have thought it was so different.

Interesting to learn things.

Of course, I do buy plenty of imported things that won't grow around here -- avocados, clementines, various frozen greens and fruit and veg in the winter/early spring.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    (...but in the meantime, I'd recommend courgette. Or maybe marrow, if anyone still sells marrows.)

Ooooh, I know a courgette is a zucchini here in the US. What is a marrow?
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

A marrow is what happens when a courgette grows up :) Essentially a slightly bitter but fairly neutral-tasting squash that's nice stuffed.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options

Note that I also am pretty sure that brussles sprouts aren't in season in the northern hemisphere. Yeah you can get them year round, but don't be surprised if they're not grown locally for most of the year.
  • MoxyLeigh
    MoxyLeigh Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I often default to cabbage if broccoli and cauliflower aren't available or are particularly pricey.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options

A marrow is what happens when a courgette grows up :) Essentially a slightly bitter but fairly neutral-tasting squash that's nice stuffed.

I hope you guys don't get the worst case scenario fresh-food-wise. I don't think people realize how specialized factory farming has become. The weather here in Virginia is conducive to all sorts of crops, but many large farms (and even some small family farms) specialize in just the crops that give them the best chance at profitability and stuff that could be grown here simply isn't.

Pretty specialized throughout the country. Here, it’s pretty much corn and soybeans, but farmers markets are very popular with a very nice variety of veggies and berries. Soon apples will be coming in.

I have to admit, I had to Google courgette when I first saw it🤷🏻‍♀️
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Has anyone seen a pomegranate? I've been busy and only checked out two stores, 40 grams really help with breakfast. I know they are imported, I should consider air miles, they can't be caught up in the promised mayhem, can they.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I’m not in the UK (I’m in NYC) but I read this on BBC the other day about produce wilting last month in the UK from extreme weather which is causing the local produce shortage. Bummer!

Link- https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-49330210

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Nope, probably not, if you’re talking about the summer produce. But it depends on what fresh vegetables you’re looking for. Long before we imported so much of our produce people did eat vegetables. Cabbages, leeks, marrow/courgette, carrots, sprouts, swede, turnip, parsnips (yuk), onions...and don’t forget long term storage has moved on since those days. Ethane filled storage facilities can keep fruit and vegetables in virtually fresh picked state until demand calls for shipment. Yes, the clock starts at that point, but that’s no different than loading a cabbage onto a truck straight from the field.

Whilst I totally agree with those above who don’t like frozen broccoli or cauliflower due to the mushy texture there are vegetables that survive the freezing process better than others. Most people will have a bag of frozen peas in their freezers as they sit and read this, I’m sure! I know I have broad beans, fine green beans, peas and spinach in the freezer at all times.

It’s also true that we import a lot of things from outside the EU anyway. Those trade agreements should not be disrupted.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m definitely a ‘remainer’ but I honestly doubt the entirety of the UK is going to slump into a malnutrition induced haze due to Brexit! I could, however, be wrong and it will be the end of the world! 😱😉

Yes, frozen peas are indeed a staple that I have on hand at all times. I also grow them in the spring. (I'm near Boston.) Haven't had much luck with fall crops, but planted a few seeds yesterday when I was planting spinach, for which I have higher hopes.

I also have spinach in the freezer.

Cabbage and carrots do keep quite well - I stock up when they are on sale for St. Patrick's Day in March and have enough for a few months.