How do I switch gears?

Options
Hello! I recently hit my goal weight as far as loosing weight is concerned and now I am wanting to start to put on muscle! I know that I need to up my carbs (I was told by 10 grams a day), and lift heavier. Any other tips? I’m concerned that my 30 minute work out a day won’t be enough, but with two little boys I really don’t have more time as of this point in my life. Tips appreciated!!

Replies

• jiujitsudad15118
    jiujitsudad15118 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    lify heavy things?
  • Slimtim001
    Slimtim001 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I would say just keep up a caloric surplus and use a lot of compound lifts (I.E. Deadlifts, Squats, Bench, Dips, Bent Over Rows ETC) and if you’re Short on time then try to Work in Super/Compound Sets too. There’s tons of videos online about quick and Intense lifting sessions so I would start there. Hope this helps
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    When you say you want to gain muscle, are you looking to gain weight or maintain to work on body composition (lose fat and gain muscle). The first will have you eating in a surplus, the second will be maintenance.

Also following a progressive lifting program will be most optimal. See this thread for a list

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I'd increase protein not just carbs, not allot of details to provide much info.

Do lots of research is the best advice I can say, don't bank opinions on here as fact or based on science. Learn about nutrition and then what workouts work best for you given your limited time. 30 minutes a day is better then 0 minutes a day no matter what, just have to make them count! Best of luck on your research remember learning can be fun!
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Carbs aren't strictly necessary for building muscle. Lots of keto-heads do just fine lifting and building on low carbs. What is necessary is protein. If you want to gain muscle mass then you need to eat 0.8-1.0 gram per pound of body weight per day.