Best diet?!

Options
Hellllllpppp?!
So I’ve been researching and researching the best diet plan to loose weight and keep it off. I’ve always struggled with my weight growing up. I keep active and have always been conscious of my diet and always struggled to obtain a nice figure. I’ve tried low carb and have short term success until I break down and get pizza or have a cheat meal. My workouts suffer as I do intense hiit workouts/weight lifting 2-3 times a week and some shorter/cardio work outs 2-3 days. Any advice on the best diet plan/ nutritional habits to help me loose some pounds. I’ve heard such mixed reviews of the keto diets and other diet plans. I’ve become scared of carbs and dk if I need to be to loose weight. What macros should I aim for if I want to loose 20-30 pounds?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    A "diet plan" sounds like a temporary project, but losing weight and keeping it off isn't temporary.....it's forever.

Find forever changes. If your other "workouts suffer" as you do Hiit, etc. then don't do those. Instead, do workouts you enjoy. Do the workouts that you would do even after you get to goal weight.

AnnPT77's post is great.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Weight loss happens primarily in the kitchen - you simply can't out-exercise your fork.

Buy a food scale - the best $20 you'll ever spend on your health. Calories rule!

Eat the foods you love, just less of them.

Deprivation didn't work for me. The above did. :)
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Eat food you like, paying attention to portion control and moderation, staying in a calorie deficit, and you will lose weight. Eating less calories than your body burns is the only way weight is lost.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I always found named diets too restrictive and annoying. What helped me was to figure out what foods fill me up the most and focus on them.

Understanding satiety: feeling full after a meal

...Tips on how to feel fuller

So how can we best try to enhance these feelings of fullness to help us control how much we eat? Here are some top tips for helping you feel fuller:
    1. Foods high in protein seem to make us feel fuller than foods high in fat or carbohydrate, so including some protein at every meal should help keep you satisfied. Foods high in protein include meats such as chicken, ham or beef, fish, eggs, beans and pulses.
    2. If you are watching your weight, opt for lower fat versions, using leaner cuts of meat, cutting off visible fat and avoiding the skin on poultry as this will help reduce the energy density of the diet, which can help to enhance satiety (see below).
    3. Foods that are high in fibre may also enhance feelings of fullness so try to include plenty of high-fibre foods in the diet such as wholegrain bread and cereals, beans and pulses and fruit and vegetables.
    4. Alcohol seems to stimulate appetite in the short-term and therefore drinking alcohol is likely to encourage us to eat more. Alcoholic beverages can make you forget about your intentions to eat healthily by making you lose your inhibitions. Alcoholic drinks are also calorific, so you should cut down on alcohol consumption if you are trying to control your weight.
    5. The ‘energy density’ of food has a strong influence on feelings of fullness or satiety. Energy density is the amount of energy (or calories) per gram of food. Lower energy density foods provide less energy per gram of food so you can eat more of them without consuming too many calories. Low energy density foods include fruit and vegetables, foods with lots of water added when cooking such as soups and stews, and lower fat foods. Click here for more information on energy density.

Read more: http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    Enter your stats in MFP and aim for 1lb loss per week.
    Get a food scale.
    Start weighing your food and log it.
    Eat within your calorie goal and be PATIENT and you'll see results.
    **Don't try and cut out your favorite foods - enjoy them in moderation and log it. You workout so I'm sure you can fit pizza in your calorie goal weekly :)