Routine. Which is best?

Options
1. cardio in the mornings 6 days a week & strength training in the evenings 5 days a week (alternating different muscle groups) with 1 full day rest
or
2. alternating cardio one day & strength training the next. for all 7 days.? or 6 days a week?

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    depends on what your goals are
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    We’d need more info, such as what you want to achieve and what your starting level of fitness is. Either plan may be reasonable for someone who already works out, but they both sound like a lot for a beginner.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    IMO, I feel cardio 3 days per week and strength 3 days per week (alternate days) is a good way to start and build a base...
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone above. I'll just add - 6 days a week, or even 5. You need a rest day or two.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone above. I'll just add - 6 days a week, or even 5. You need a rest day or two.

and if I were to reduce to 5 days I would eliminate one of the cardio days in favor of active recovery. Yoga maybe...
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Best for what?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

^^ This, your workouts should be tailored to help you reach a specific goal. Similarly without knowing what kind of cardio you're doing it's impossible to say whether or not 6 days a week is OK (I probably do some form of cardio 7 days a week but I'm alternating between biking, swimming, running & rowing - different intensities & different levels of impact)

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    What is your fitness level like? Doing two work outs a day 5 days a week is going to be a lot if you are just starting out. Your muscles need recovery time as much as anything so overworking yourself does not necessarily get the best results.

Personally I think you will probably see more success by limiting yourself to one workout a day with 1-2 days of rest a week. If as you progress, you want to add more, you can. But doing too much too quick is an easy way to get injured and then you'll fall much further behind than if you took it a bit slower.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Best for what?

And best for who?
    And what precisely does "cardio" mean? 5 minutes walking or 5 hours cycling?

No-one knows anything about you, your goals or your capabilities.
  • reesegrace1
    reesegrace1 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Best for what?

And best for who?

Oh yea, I forgot to add in details about me. I'm have not worked out in so long, I am starting over, I am like a beginner.
    I have lost weight before years ago, but gained it all back. Now I am 56 years old and need to lose weight again. I am doing this for weightloss. I need to lose 100 lbs.
  • reesegrace1
    Options
    Best for what?

And best for who?

Oh yea, I forgot to add in details about me. I'm have not worked out in so long, I am starting over, I am like a beginner.
    I have lost weight before years ago, but gained it all back. Now I am 56 years old and need to lose weight again. I am doing this for weightloss. I need to lose 100 lbs.

The cardio will be 30 minutes on the elliptical or treadmill or walk away the pounds dvd workout.
    The strength training will be full body workout 2 or 3 days a week, alternating with ab work and leg raises in the floor, and back stretches the other 2 or 3 days a week.
  • reesegrace1
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    We’d need more info, such as what you want to achieve and what your starting level of fitness is. Either plan may be reasonable for someone who already works out, but they both sound like a lot for a beginner.

I am like a beginner since i have not worked out in so long. My goals are to lose weight. The strength training will not be heavy weights, light to medium weights.
  • reesegrace1
    Options

^^ This, your workouts should be tailored to help you reach a specific goal. Similarly without knowing what kind of cardio you're doing it's impossible to say whether or not 6 days a week is OK (I probably do some form of cardio 7 days a week but I'm alternating between biking, swimming, running & rowing - different intensities & different levels of impact)

My cardio is 30 minutes on the elliptical or treadmill, or working out with a low impact dvd such as walk away the pounds. At least that is what I would begin with
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Best for what?

And best for who?

Going from nothing to exercise every day is probably a mistake - build up slowly.

Exercise isn't for weight loss - it's for health, fitness and strength. You are also supposed to eat back exercise calories to avoid an excess deficit, lack of energy but also to build the habits that help you both maintain your weight and your fitness/health once you get to goal.
  • MikeRobi81
    MikeRobi81 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Best for what?

And best for who?

If I can recommend checking out Alan Roberts at EveryDamnDayFitness.com, he specializes in extreme weight lost that you're looking for.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 2,007 Member
    Options
    I am 54...was 100 lbs overweight. I started out just simply walking 1-3 miles a day and slowly incorporated light weight training and eventually biking. I now alternate 3 & 3. You first have to start with your diet. get that under control and keep at a calorie deficit. I'm down 65 lbs on my way to 100 goal.