Seriously struggling

Options
Struggling with consistency and discipline. I'm either in a deficit, at maintainence or overeating (at parties). I've finally got a grip of my sugar addiction by eating more fat and protein. I'm relosing the weight and I've just lost my mojo. I know discipline and habits over motivation, but right now I need motivation. I've got 30lbs to lose and zero motivation yet I'm frustrated that the scale hasn't gone down, it's a double edged sword. Once I've got the motivation then I'm actually more disciplined?! I know it sounds weird. I also need to be held accountable. I thought logging my food into myfitnesspal would make me feel accountable but it hasn't helped! I also haven't been consistent because I keep having breaks during my diet. I'm good for a week and then all the family get together and we overeat...lol. Eat out a lot too. I feel like I've gotten no where. I posted about this a few months ago, and I haven't made any progress. I also went on holiday to Turkey, gained 8 lbs and haven't lost the weight 6 weeks later! I was 155 lbs before and now I'm 163lbs...

Replies

• nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,996 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Motivation for me is to look at photo of where I started and compare it to current photo. Also, HEALTH is #1 motivator since I am middle aged. Only YOU can motivate yourself and have to want it bad enough to change.
  • changeconsumeme
    changeconsumeme Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    The only person that can change everything is you. Motivation is fickle. It comes and goes. It’s self-discipline that gets you where you need and the results you want. Nobody “feels like” doing all the things all the time. In the words of Nike: Just Do It!
  • BuddhaBunnyFTW
    BuddhaBunnyFTW Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I concentrate on mental hygiene. Be kind, compassionate, loving, patient, and forgiving of yourself. Even just ten minutes a day of loving who you are and what a wonderful person you are can have a profound effect. The most important part of any change is a foundation of compassion and love. The more positively we make an initiative the greater chance of success. I believe in you! Be well!
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Motivation for me is to look at photo of where I started and compare it to current photo. Also, HEALTH is #1 motivator since I am middle aged. Only YOU can motivate yourself and have to want it bad enough to change.

Thank you, I guess I can look at pictures when I was 130lbs and use myself as a motivation.
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    Step back. You sound to me like you need what I think of as a look at yourself in the mirror moment. Are you going to do weight loss or not? Weight loss is a set of things to do. It’s a lot different than just going around wishing we weighed less.

I found discipline in the gym. It took me by surprise. Like most guys, I’d been in the gym before. But for whatever reason, for once I stuck around past the second week. Then, seemingly out of nowhere I could feel it working. Suddenly it was obvious, keep showing up and doing basic sets and reps and it would work. That was the foundation of discipline- belief that the system would work. In fact, it couldn’t not work, it was the way my body was designed. It was science.

The same thinking can be reverse engineered into weight loss. Stay in a calorie deficit long enough and it will work. But a problem we encounter is we have to live with it. And since we aren’t on Biggest Loser, we have to live our lives in the real world. Then “the struggle” everyone talks about isn’t so much losing weight, most of us can figure that out, the tricky part is living with it.

I think the most helpful response to most weight loss problems starts with a food diary that we keep no matter what. Never give yourself an out from logging. Blow up your number? Log it. Don’t really know how to count something? Make a good faith estimate and keep going. If you are losing weight week to week, your estimates are sound. If not, you need to find a better way to estimate. Use a food scale whenever possible. Control the things you can control.

All that said, you raise a particularly vexing problem- the parties/family get togethers. Going into someone’s home to eat is tough. It just is. People in our family knew I was trying to lose weight, but I never expected a bit of help. Good thing, because I never got any. They just fixed what they were going to fix and ate the way they were going to eat. I had to work around it. Some days were just difficult.

But difficult is not the same as hopeless. Plan a menu, use a food scale to crunch numbers and control the things you can when you can. When you are out just remember that when you reach for the chips or wine or cake, its going to get recorded in your food diary. Keep trying to problem solve around the difficult situations. If you eat in a calorie deficit long enough you will achieve your goals. It may take more time than you’d like but it will work. It’s science. Good luck.

I hope it gets easier! I’m much better with results when I’m strict with myself. I’m not good at relaxing with my diet because I have IR issues and PCOS. I won’t let myself overindulge at parties then.
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    The only person that can change everything is you. Motivation is fickle. It comes and goes. It’s self-discipline that gets you where you need and the results you want. Nobody “feels like” doing all the things all the time. In the words of Nike: Just Do It!

I know motivation is fickle but the discipline had dwindled and I felt like I needed a boost of motivation if you get me?
  • jim_pipkin
    jim_pipkin Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I go through periods where I just want to give up, but I get emails from Aadam at Physiqonomics that give me good honest info and an occasional kick in the butt. Maybe sign up for his emails? It is free, of course he sells a training course, but the regular emails cost nothing.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Pictures like this one motivate me to keep going.

This woman ran the worlds hardest marathon. How much motivation and self discipline do you think it took for her to go from losing her leg to completing that marathon.

Now think how much motivation and self discipline will it take you to just to weigh and measure all your food and eat to your calorie goal? .

Whenever you think "I can't do this it's too hard" Picture this woman and imagine what she had to do, what she had to go through, how much pain she had to conquer to get to where she is now.

Doesn't seem so hard to refuse that extra piece of pizza now does it? :)

Your welcome <3

6fknbkr1uf6k.png
  • unicorngems
    unicorngems Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    jim_pipkin wrote: »
    I feel your pain. I go through periods where I just want to give up, but I get emails from Aadam at Physiqonomics that give me good honest info and an occasional kick in the butt. Maybe sign up for his emails? It is free, of course he sells a training course, but the regular emails cost nothing.

That's nice but you can get that here anyway.....confused