Looking for friends on a lot fat diet

Options
savannahs21
savannahs21 Posts: 364 Member
My name is Savannah and im 22 years old. Feel free to add me, I am hoping to lose 80- 100 pounds.

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Did you mean to say you were on a low fat plan or a plan with a lot of fat in it?

I am sure you can find decent friends in either case but it you are looking for people with helpful suggestions it might be helpful to know.

Anyway... good luck.
  • savannahs21
    Options
    I am eating a low fat diet. So about 20-25 grams of fat a day.
  • changeconsumeme
    changeconsumeme Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Fat does not make you fat. Fat is good for you. Fat protects your organs, particularly your heart and your brain. Fat helps satiate you and keep you focused.

My doctor was worried about me when I wasn’t getting enough fat in my diet doing Weight Watchers. She demanded I take fish oil and eat nuts or avocado every day to fix my cholesterol levels. Just sayin’.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    I am eating a low fat diet. So about 20-25 grams of fat a day.

why?

Fat isn't what makes you fat, it's too many calories. Fat is really important for good body functions. Are you on a medically supervised food plan?

• savannahs21
    Options
    I enjoy eating low fat, i am aware that i need fat to survive which is why i eat at least 20 grams. I am not hungry when i eat low fat. I also dont need to count calories when i eat low fat!
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    I enjoy eating low fat, i am aware that i need fat to survive which is why i eat at least 20 grams. I am not hungry when i eat low fat. I also dont need to count calories when i eat low fat!

I wish that bolded bit were true for me! I could eat absolutely no fat in a day (unhealthy as that would be) and still go over calories on carbs and protein alone! Well, actually, let’s leave protein out too...carbs could do it on their own! 😂

What is it about low fat that means you don’t need to count calories? This is essentially a calorie counting app/website by the way...are you just planning to use it to keep track of what you’re eating and the fat numbers?
  • cmriverside
    Options

Oh, that's different! I've never heard anyone say they like low-fat.

Well, obviously you know yourself. Good luck. :flowerforyou: We do tend to jump in these type of "restrictive diet" threads to make sure everyone reading along knows it isn't necessary to restrict entire macros, so expect to have some discussions around that. :)
  • savannahs21
    Options
    @cmriverside, I honestly don't find it more restrictive then any other diet i've done in the past. In fact i can eat a lot more stuff now that im not counting calories. But that's just me.
  • savannahs21
    Options
    @BarbaraHelen2013, I don't have to count calories because i'm doing "low'' fat. I am aware that this is a calorie counting app/website but people use is to track there macros as well. I started out as calorie counting. I am using MFP now to count my fat to make sure i am eating enough fat.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    @cmriverside, I honestly don't find it more restrictive then any other diet i've done in the past. In fact i can eat a lot more stuff now that im not counting calories. But that's just me.

But you're still eating way under the recommended amount of fat for a woman.

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/articles/11208-fat-what-you-need-to-know
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Hi, and welcome to MFP.

Lots of the plant-based or mostly plant-based approaches promote low fat, and the idea that you lose without counting cals. I ate like that one Lent (wasn't trying to be low fat, but looking back I was), and lost weight without trying to. So I can see it working if you find it easy to stick to and like it.

I tend to prefer somewhat higher fat (30% or so) just to feel satisfied with my overall diet, it makes it more pleasurable and sustainable for me, so I don't do it. But I don't find it any more weird that it would work than that very low carb does for some.

This (and the second part) are pretty interesting: https://deniseminger.com/2015/10/06/in-defense-of-low-fat-a-call-for-some-evolution-of-thought-part-1/
  • savannahs21
    Options
    Im not to worried about it. @cmriverside
  • savannahs21
    Options
    Thank you for the article. @lemurcat2