Mini Challenge - Last week rewind. 16 miles + a recipe

Options
Hi all!

For those of you that are new, Welcome!

For those that have been with us since the beginning, lets keep it moving! :)

We are going to have a bit of a rewind for last week. It seems like this was a tough week for a few of us. So the challenge is 16 miles (run, walk, roll etc.) before next Sunday and two strength training add-ins. In addition I'm asking that everyone post their favorite "skinny" recipe.

Perhaps its the dessert that tastes indulgent but really isn't, or your go to healthy dinner option, whatever you want to share. Let us know your favorite and maybe we can all add to our healthy eating options.

As always post your progress and let us know how you are doing! :)
Have a great week and keep it moving!!
Hi all!

Replies

• reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    I am in as always!!!
  • kelseywray
    Options
    Here's my favorite low fat chocolate chip cookie recipe. They are super soft and filling.

Chocolate chip cookies will never be declared a health food, but you can make them less unhealthy by tweaking the ingredients a little. Here's a recipe for a lighter chocolate chip cookie that still manages to satisfy a sweet tooth, but perhaps with a little less guilt.

Prep Time: 10 minutes
    Cook Time: 12 minutes
    Total Time: 22 minutes
    Ingredients:

* 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
    * 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
    * 1/4 tsp baking soda
    * 1/4 tsp salt
    * 4 tbsp butter, melted
    * 2 egg whites
    * 1 tsp vanilla extract
    * 3/4 cup firmly-packed light brown sugar
    * 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Preparation:
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two cookies sheets with parchment paper or a silicone mat.

In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt. In a large bowl, whisk together the egg whites, butter, and vanilla; stir in the brown sugar until smooth. Gradually add in the flour mixture and mix well. Stir in chocolate chips.

Drop dough by the tablespoon onto cookie sheets about 2 inches apart. Bake one cookie sheet at a time for 10-12 minutes.

Yields 24 cookies.

Per Cookie : Calories 92, Calories from Fat 30, Total Fat 3.4g, (sat 2.6g), Cholesterol 6mg, Sodium 45mg, Carbohydrate 14.5g, Fiber 0.7g, Protein 1.2g
  • reese66
    Options
    Here is a recipe that I like

Roasted Garlic
    Ingredients
    4 cups cauliflower florets, about 1 1/2 inches in diameter (from 1 medium cauliflower)
    2 to 3 sprays of garlic oil spary
    4 cloves of roasted garlic, give or take depends on your taste.
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
    Chopped chives, for garnish
    Directions
    Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.

Place the cauliflower florets in a large saute pan or a roasting pan.Drizzle the olive oil over the cauliflower, and season with the garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Place the saute/roasting pan in the oven and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure even roasting. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the Parmesan. Garnish with chopped chives and serve immediately while still warm.

Adapeted from Emeril Lagasse's recipe

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/oven-roasted-cauliflower-with-garlic-olive-oil-and-lemon-juice-recipe/index.html

Serves 4

Calories 45

Carbs 5

Fat 1

Protien 4

Cholestrol 3

Sodium 339

Nutritional counts are based on brands used so results may vary...
  • LCDMomma
    LCDMomma Posts: 67
    Options
    I'm in for the strength training part but I'll have to hold off on the miles until my hip feels better. I will post a recipe later. Can't wait to try all the ones posted!
  • ydeemar
    ydeemar Posts: 44
    Options
    i was not able to finish last weeks challenge, had my period and got too lazy to go out.. :cry:

but i'm back for this week, i'll try to walk/run more.. i'll try to post a recipe later..:smooched:
  • mom2nate08
    mom2nate08 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Welcome back everyone! I'm so glad you are all sticking with the group even if you wern't/aren't able to get the miles in. I will get a couple of my favorite recipes posted later!
  • njfitnessgirl
    Options
    I'm definitely in on this challenge. I'm back from vacation and now it's time to get back on track with my 10k training.
  • firemama
    firemama Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Aloha All,
    I'm back in the game this week! Last week life was just a bit hectic, but ready to kick butt this week.

Aloha,
    Firemama
  • reese66
    Options
    Monday 4.75 miles walk/run
  • ydeemar
    ydeemar Posts: 44
    Options
    4.15 miles monday 29/08/11
  • reese66
    Options
    Monday 4.75 miles walk/run
    Tuesday 4.90 miles walk/run
  • firemama
    Options
    Aloha All,
    Here is my current mileage:
    Monday: 2.4
    Tuesday: 3.1
    Only: 10.5 miles left.

Thanks to everyone for keeping me motivated.

Aloha
  • Skinny_foodie
    Options
    Look at you guys! Doing GREAT!
    I'll get in 5 miles tonight, I've been sick but I'm feeling better and back on track! :)

Loving the recipes! :) I'll check back in tonight after my run. Way to keep it going!
  • sillyheart
    Options
    Thank you for this recipe. Looks great and I will make it soon.
  • ydeemar
    Options
    4.15 miles monday 29/08/11
    3.81 miles wednesday 31/08/11
  • firemama
    Options
    Woohoo!!! Another 3.1 miles down! Only 7.4 miles left. I'm still thinking of a recipe. I'll share one tomorrow.

Aloha,
    firemama
  • mom2nate08
    mom2nate08 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Good Morning All! It's been a bit crazy this week, but things seem to be settling down.

I got in 2.6 on Tuesday, and 3.0 yesterday. I'm not too worried yet. I'm shooting for 5 miles over the next three days, and I will make up the rest on Sunday.

Still need to post a few recipes...I will try to do that tonight. Keep up the great work!
  • Skinny_foodie
    Options
    5 Miles down! More tonight! thanks for keeping me motivated ladies!
  • firemama
    Options
    Woohoo!!! Another 3.1 miles down! Only 7.4 miles left. I'm still thinking of a recipe. I'll share one tomorrow.

Aloha,
    firemama

Another 3.25 miles down only 4.15 miles left. I am hoping to get a one mile walk in to shave off another mile. Thanks guys for keeping me moving.
  • reese66
    Options
    Last two nights no miles accomplished, been 100 and a little over, hopefully it will cool down.

You all are doing so good!!!