Low Carbs and never hungry, is this normal

2»

Replies

• kimondo666
    kimondo666 Posts: 194 Member
    edited August 2019
    sounds like you can be on under ketosis, thats why you are not getting hungry. Under 50g carbs is required. So you are getting fuel from ketones, from fats in food and yours own. Brain is "eating"(ketones) instead of glucose under ketosis.
  • Psaksenatovris
    Psaksenatovris Posts: 13 Member
    Hi again,

I am even more curious now. Because I am overweight is it still a problem that I am consuming very little calories. i.e my energy consumption is coming from my own fat isn't it?

I imagine this would be more of an issue once the weight has dropped off?
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Hi again,

I am even more curious now. Because I am overweight is it still a problem that I am consuming very little calories. i.e my energy consumption is coming from my own fat isn't it?

That’s not how weightloss works. Your body needs nutrients not just energy to survive.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Okay, come do my best Ace Ventura impression. To backup my statement I'll say these things. First off, when one looks inside the studies of high protein diets, one sees a spontaneous reduction of calories in obese individuals by 600 to a thousand calories a day. That is when protein is around 30% of total calories. If one looks inside of bland liquid diet studies, there is a reduction in calories to near starvation level diets with no hunger. Inside Kevin Halls most recent study on processed vs. Unprocessed diet, people on an unprocessed diet, the lower reward value, ate an average of 400 calories a day less than people on a process diet. N equals 1 experience, as well. I also work in a highly controlled environment, where food and activity are controlled as close as one can get, outside of a research setting. I have seen men go from 400 lb to 240 lb with little hunger issues. The diet that get is actually very healthy. It's high in fruits vegetables beans lean meats with some added fats. It does not taste very good, so far less rewarding than what they had on the outside. Most of the people, have to get jobs that require activity. Is all this coincidence? Possibly. I think it lines up with many of the Rat and monkey studies I've seen as well.

I think some of that is just a benefit of being quite large. When I first started I wasn't watching my macros much at all. I was eating all kind of processed foods because I was still resistant to cooking just for myself. I had no hunger issues and I ate 1200 calories per day several times a week. On Sunday I would eat substantially more and that eventually became my maintenance day when I my plan started to formalize more.

After the first 6 weeks throughout my first 150 pounds I started cooking for myself and watching my protein more. I seldom felt hungry except right before lunch which has almost always been the only full meal I have eaten. On a normal week my diet is fairly tight and packed with nutrient dense foods for 4 days a week with looser eating on Friday and over the weekend.

I have learned that my hunger has only 2 rules. 1) I cannot eat in the morning. 2) I have to eat 1 protein for every 2 carbs. If I follow those rules I am almost always okay.

I have struggled a little more recently because I am on a medical deadline but I am also shockingly close to your 240 guys. Even still most of my problems have been mental not physical. I still skip breakfast and dinner is still optional for me.

I like your story, I am a believer in bf settling ranges. It's a place where diet, activity, weight history, and genetics all line up. What we see in the research is you can make a rat obese on a "SAD" and then put them back on a whole foods rat pellet diet with free access... funny, they lose weight rapidly. They eventually come to a place that they just stop. Sometimes over 1/2 their body weight. They are never as lean as the always lean control rats, usually 30-40 higher bf, 12 vs 19, but they then maintain that weight. Put them back on the "SAD" diet... boom right back up. I believe I undershot my settling range. Hopefully it also works in reverse. Several experts think it will.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited August 2019
    Hi again,

Theoretical conversations aside, you are not overweight enough to assume you can get away with a very low calorie diet. And even if you were very obese your body needs fuel AND nutrition. There is a reason MFP won't let you choose a goal of more than 2 lbs per week.

Eat the calories MFP gives you plus some of your exercise calories, this will help prevent muscle loss, malnutrition, and lower the risk of hitting the proverbial wall and having to quit.

Check out the Most Helpful Posts threads pinned to the top of each sub-forum, lots of great info there.

This isn't a race. Unless you are morbidly obese, there's no reason NOT to take the time to learn how to eat at the right calorie level for the rest of your life. Don't aim for what you might be able to get away with, aim for setting yourself up for the best chance of long term success. Best of luck.
  • Psaksenatovris
    thanks all, so 1500 Calories a day is the absolute minimum for me?
  • Hannahwalksfar
    thanks all, so 1500 Calories a day is the absolute minimum for me?

Put your stats into mfp and it’ll tell you exactly what you need
  • Psaksenatovris
    ok, one more question if I could.

If I eat 1500 calories a day and burn off 300 calories, is it the same (nutritionally) as eating 1200 calories a day without exercising?
  • Hannahwalksfar
    You eat back your exercise calories so you would eat 1800 but net 1500
  • Hannahwalksfar
    If it’s the same nutritionally depends on what you eat on those days.