exact science question

Options
adross3
adross3 Posts: 606 Member
The idea is to keep the fire burning and not to go into starvation mode. So, if you tested your glucose level with a diabetes tester 90-140mg and waited for it to go down into low levels 90mg to eat again. Wouldn't that be an exact science and optimal.

Replies

• portexploit
    portexploit Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Assuming starvation mode exist. Glucose will only go down to a certain level. I think it's 80mg/mL Think of what you're saying...
    You eat, wait for your insulin to go down, then you eat again, then wait for it to go down. All you're doing is just "yoyoing" your insulin, which isn't too good.
  • adross3
    Options
    Assuming starvation mode exist. Glucose will only go down to a certain level. I think it's 80mg/mL Think of what you're saying...
    You eat, wait for your insulin to go down, then you eat again, then wait for it to go down. All you're doing is just "yoyoing" your insulin, which isn't too good.
    Isn't that what everybody does eating 3 square meals a day.
  • adross3
    Options
    So, where is the optimal level of glucose mg to eat again.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

Those of us that eat a high fat, moderate protein, low carb way of life have stable blood sugar with low insulin output all day long.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    this sounds very interesting... mostly because i would be curious to see where i was throughout the day. kind of a data junkie.
  • melph3
    melph3 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think the object is to keep your glucose from spiking and dropping. It is good to have it steadily rise in the morning and then stay within a target range. When you let your glucose drop too low and then you eat, the glucose will spike back up, then your body will overwork your pancreas(which done often enough it may lead to Type II Diabetes.)
    Like you said it is good to keep feeding the fire...
    I would just add that it is important to eat foods that are low on the glycemic index...otherwise ones' glucose will spike.
  • adross3
    Options
    cam you get ripped and muscular on this diet.

Those of us that eat a high fat, moderate protein, low carb way of life have stable blood sugar with low insulin output all day long.
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as exact science when it comes to the human body - that's why doctors are called "practicing physicians."
  • girlypop
    girlypop Posts: 80
    Options
    I'm not sure if that would work or not. Your insulin levels will naturally 'yoyo' after meals even in healthy individuals, of course those with diabetes may have more severe cases of their actual blood sugar 'yoyoing'. To the point your blood sugar remains relatively constant throughout the day, unless you have a disorder. That's the whole purpose of insulin; to keep your blood sugar 'constant'.

I wouldn't really think it a good idea to wait for your blood sugar to drop a certain amount before eating your next meal because that would likely be while. Your blood sugar generally speaking rises a little throughout the day and is lowest first thing in the morning. Besides a concern if glucose levels are fluctuating too much; it's not that important. Scientifically speaking the more important issue will always be calories in versus calories out. If you are measuring your blood glucose to guide your diet, depending on your particular trends you may notice that after breakfast it takes hours before your blood glucose is back to what it was before, but believe me you'll be hungry by than. This is why I wouldn't use this technique.

If you want to be scientific count calories. If you don't, only eat when you are hungry and try to make healthier choices.
  • adhillman01
    Options
    Once your blood glucose gets low enough from using all of your carbohydrates from food, your liver starts breaking down glycogen to release glucose or even starts making glucose from other substrates. As long as that energy source is around your blood sugar won't get very low unless you're injecting insulin or taking other anti-diabetic medications. I like the idea of this, but I don't think it's going to work. It might be interesting to monitor your glucose for a day, but the test strips are VERY expensive and probably isn't feasible to monitor this for a long period of time.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Ok, here is a science primer. When you consume carbohydrates they are broken down into glucose and absorbed into the bloodstream. Excess glucose in the bloodstream can lead to severe consequence (think of diabetic comas as an extreme example). To prevent this from occurring, healthy mammals have an enzyme called insulin which removes glucose from the blood and stores it (as glycogen in muscles or the liver). In addition, glucose is converted into fatty acids and stored that way as well.

What you are proposing might sound like it makes sense, but biochemistry is not on your side. This is because the blood sugar decrease does not mean your body is actually using that energy, it decreases because your body is storing it for use later in the day, week, year or decade. So essentially what you are talking about is building fat - probably not your goal.

If you want to lose fat, you have to choose the right foods. Avoid refined carbohydrates that spike your blood sugar and lead to the production of excess insulin (as this will cause your blood sugar to plummet creating a new sensation of hunger). Whole grains, beans and fruits are good sources of carbs.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Eh, just stay in positive nitrogen balance so you remain anabolic.
  • adross3
    Options
    Ok, here is a science primer. When you consume carbohydrates they are broken down into glucose and absorbed into the bloodstream. Excess glucose in the bloodstream can lead to severe consequence (think of diabetic comas as an extreme example). To prevent this from occurring, healthy mammals have an enzyme called insulin which removes glucose from the blood and stores it (as glycogen in muscles or the liver). In addition, glucose is converted into fatty acids and stored that way as well.

What you are proposing might sound like it makes sense, but biochemistry is not on your side. This is because the blood sugar decrease does not mean your body is actually using that energy, it decreases because your body is storing it for use later in the day, week, year or decade. So essentially what you are talking about is building fat - probably not your goal.

If you want to lose fat, you have to choose the right foods. Avoid refined carbohydrates that spike your blood sugar and lead to the production of excess insulin (as this will cause your blood sugar to plummet creating a new sensation of hunger). Whole grains, beans and fruits are good sources of carbs.
    great explaination. Now who can tell me what is best for my bio and objective. Any suggestions?
  • Grokette
    Options

Yes, you can. It is a fat burning eating plan.
  • adross3
    Options

I want a fat burning muscle plan. One that keeps glucose stable. Show me someone ripped and buff on your plan.
  • Grokette
    Options

I want a fat burning muscle plan. One that keeps glucose stable. Show me someone ripped and buff on your plan.

The second link is our group before and after photos.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/116409718456748/?notif_t=group_activity

http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/?set=oa.116619021769151&type=1
  • portexploit
    Options
    Also we're friend's as you know. I know you, you kind of remind me of myself a few years ago. I used to make all these fancy charts, workout plans, set and rep ranges through the month with pyriodization. I told my friend and he was like "Are you training for the olympics or something?" I think you go overboard, the best method is "KISS" (keep it simple stupid). IF you want to be ripped and lean that's a good goal, that's my goal too. The thing is you don't want to be stuck on the weekends making up plans and doing things for the week. You want to sit back and enjoy life but also be at the best you can be, you have to find a balance.

You can have perfect insulin levels and be fat if you sit on your butt all day. The key to all this is really exercise. There are people out there who eat 7,000 calories a day and are lean.
  • adross3
    Options
    Also we're friend's as you know. I know you, you kind of remind me of myself a few years ago. I used to make all these fancy charts, workout plans, set and rep ranges through the month with pyriodization. I told my friend and he was like "Are you training for the olympics or something?" I think you go overboard, the best method is "KISS" (keep it simple stupid). IF you want to be ripped and lean that's a good goal, that's my goal too. The thing is you don't want to be stuck on the weekends making up plans and doing things for the week. You want to sit back and enjoy life but also be at the best you can be, you have to find a balance.

You can have perfect insulin levels and be fat if you sit on your butt all day. The key to all this is really exercise. There are people out there who eat 7,000 calories a day and are lean.
    tell me why.instinctivly I don't want to this eat more fat diet.
  • portexploit
    Options

tell me why.instinctivly I don't want to this eat more fat diet. Low fat diets have been linked to depression. All of our hormones run on fat. Fat help keeps us full. If there is any macro nutrient you should reduce, it is carbs, if your goal is to get lean.

Here is the "truth" about macro nutrients. Carbs spike insulin, which can cause you to gain weight. Protein lowers insulin, fat has no direct effect on fat. I'd perfer fat over carbs anyday.
  • adross3
    Options
    First of all...Thank you everybody for your input. I can tell you that I am learning so much.

THANK YOU.