Inaccurate calorie burn

It says I burned 1,232 calories in 59 min walk. There is no way. How can I fix this?

Replies

• slimdownt
    slimdownt Posts: 105 Member
    Bump
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    How did that number get logged? Did you manually enter your exercise or do you have a fitness tracker synced?
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Erase it and try again. Every once in a while the calculator screws up my calorie burn as well - either ridiculously high or way too low. Starting over usually works.
  • slimdownt
    slimdownt Posts: 105 Member
    Erase it and try again. Every once in a while the calculator screws up my calorie burn as well - either ridiculously high or way too low. Starting over usually works.

Thanks that did the trick.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    MikeRobi81 wrote: »
    slimdownt wrote: »
    It says I burned 1,232 calories in 59 min walk. There is no way. How can I fix this?

I recommend not counting burned calories.

We all know that we need to be in a caloric deficit to lose weight, not counting your workouts is like reaching the bonus level.

This might be okay, if you aren't at bare minimum calorie intake, or working out more than 100 calories. For more active people, they will not be fueling those workouts properly if they don't eat at least a portion of them. There are plenty of stories around here of people not consuming their exercise calories and then hitting a wall due to over exercising while under eating. It's not a bonus level when your hair starts falling out, or your libido tanks.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member

We all know that we need to be in a caloric deficit to lose weight, not counting your workouts is like reaching the bonus level.

This is not how MFP works. MFP gives you a goal that does not include intentional exercise. You still hit your projected weight loss calorie deficit if you eat your exercise calories back, because they were not accounted for in the original projection.

A person should choose the rate of loss that is appropriate for them based on how much they have to lose. Creating a bigger calorie deficit through exercise isn't "reaching the bonus level", it's creating bigger than necessary deficit to hit your goal. It obviously depends on how much you exercise, but creating a bigger deficit than your goal is not recommended, as it can have a lot of negative side effects.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member

On average I currently burn 800-1500kcal a day when I workout. I eat approx 50/75% of those back. I’m on 1200 cal sedentary so I would be quite ill if I didn’t eat some back.
  • nelja
    nelja Posts: 282 Member

Just eat back a portion of it
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    nelja wrote: »

Just eat back a portion of it

Disagree, that might work for estimates that have some semblance of being proportional but wildly inaccurate estimates like the example given should be discarded and replaced with a better estimate, not adjusted.

Always start with a reasonable estimate and for walking that's not at all difficult to achieve.