Stinky gym clothes

What have you found to get the stinky bacteria smell out of your gym/yoga clothes? I’ve tried Tide, Persel and Norwex to no avail. I can still smell underarm bacteria. I am rewashing now with vinegar and baking soda added. Thanks!

Replies

• Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    I find the dry fit workout gear does hold onto smells more so than cottons, probably because of the moisture wicking properties 🤷🏼‍♀️.
    Anyway, I use dreft and wash soda and sometimes end up throwing the dry fit work out clothes in with the next load a time or two before putting them in the dryer. Don’t dry stuff if you think it still stinks though because it’ll make it harder to get the smell out next time.
  • frksfrau
    frksfrau Posts: 108 Member
    I read an article which gave the suggestion of using baking soda in the wash, as well as keeping the clothes turned inside out. This has helped my clothes quite a lot.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    I think you're on the right track with vinegar and baking soda. A cup of vinegar in the was is usually my go to if we forgot a load and it got stinky. I would imagine it would work for sweat.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    I use Dettol laundry cleaner. It has helped a fair bit with older stinky stuff, but I have bought some new tops and using it on them from the get go to see if it stops the smell developing. I have also read somewhere that drying the clothing out in direct sunlight helps.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,321 Member
    For really stinky stuff I soak the armpits in neat white vinegar before washing - it works but it can fade dark fabrics. I also wear merino T-shirt’s where possible; they never ever seem to smell and they do wick away sweat a lot more than cotton. Probably not as dry next to my skin as artificial fabrics.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Merino and some of the more expensive synthetics are stink proof.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Stop wearing plastics and change to 100 % linen and cotton. Smell gone!

Ways in which to get clammy and far more uncomfortable than necessary at best. Also cotton production isn't exactly environmentally friendly, especially if it's organic cotton. Wool would be a far better option.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Oxyclean in the wash, vinegar in the rinse. No fabric softener ever. Don't heat dry unless all smell is gone. Lysol also makes a laundry rinse that might work well.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    MPDean wrote: »
    If you perspire prolifically then wicking fabrics feel even worse than cotton.

I do perspire prolifically and I much prefer artificial fibers that wick moisture over cotton. Much prefer.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Oxyclean
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    4b1l82j6vtmm.png

I soak mine in this for an hour. Then into the wash with laundry balls (bio-ceramic technology).
    FRESH!
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Cheap way is add a bit of Borax to it (but it might stain if you're not careful) or Tea Tree Oil, which does kill all mildew and bacteria.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,799 Member
    Snickervc wrote: »
    What have you found to get the stinky bacteria smell out of your gym/yoga clothes? I’ve tried Tide, Persel and Norwex to no avail. I can still smell underarm bacteria. I am rewashing now with vinegar and baking soda added. Thanks!

Borax.
  • ThatJuJitsuWoman
    ThatJuJitsuWoman Posts: 155 Member
    Washing at a high temperature kills the bacteria and gets rid of the smell. 60 degrees C (140F) is high enough. I know that’s higher than recommended for some fabrics, but it hasn’t damaged any of my clothes.