How do you find time?

Options
I recently started eating healthier (June). I have this workout plan to workout from HOME! and I still cant find the time
I'm a mom to a toddler with a commuting husband. I'm up at 6am and leave our house 745 and home at 530 and then supper and hanging out with our toddler until bed. And I dont have a support system
I'm exhausted after I put my toddler to sleep

How do you find the time? Is it okay to workout first thing in the moring? Or right before bed? Half an hour in the morning half an hour at night?
I'm so new to healthy eating and am keeping on track and I feel amazing and have lost 7 lbs so far. I want to continue this lifestyle but I'm at a lost how to add exercise to my life

Replies

• frksfrau
    frksfrau Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hi! Your life does sound full and chaotic. I have been a morning workout person for 2 years and I love it. My toddler is now in college so I don’t have the time issues you have. I’m up at 4:30am and get to my 5:30 am workout classes. I go 5 days a week. I like getting the workout done so I don’t need to worry about it. It also gives me lots of energy all day. I recommend it. Plus I get in 20 oz of water first thing in the morning. So that’s a bonus.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Of course it's ok to workout first thing in the morning...why wouldn't it be? I mostly cycle and in the summer I ride first thing in the morning with the sunrise. My kids are 9 and 7, but when they were very young I used to put them in the bike trailer and tow them on my rides if my wife wasn't available to watch them...my wife is a runner and she would also take them on runs in a running stroller.

I can't workout before bed because I would get too amped up to sleep.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    What is your job like? I work from a desk. I keep weights next to me. I work in 50 minute blocks and take 10 minutes off. Research has proven your mind works better if you focus for 45 to 50 minutes solid then take a mental break. I get water or coffee and do 20 pushups, 15 military presses (one arm) and 15 or so KB swings are Goblet squats 2X a week. I also workout at lunch (I assume you do get a lunch). I used to take a walk at lunch before I worked from home and eat in 10 minutes at the end of the lunch hour. 40 minute walks are wonderful at lunch.

It's always tough to find time to workout. That never ends, even after kids! My kids are grown now but I have three dogs, two cats, a wife with Fibro that can't eat gluten or dairy (I do all the cooking), I have a business that demands 9 hours to 10 hours a day plus now I'm doing Probono work with the local university helping startups ramp up. Oh yeah, I also feed the animals homemade food and help with the house chores. My animals act like todlers! I also do chores to help my wife because she has physical limitations.

Working out doesn't have to be going to the gym or sitting on an elliptical for an hour. I used to play soccer with my son starting at around age 3. It was exercise and fun for us. He ended up getting D-1 schools interested in him after playing for years. Play outside with your kids when they are old enough.

Desk jobs that entail 8 hours of sitting require one hour of movement to stay healthy. You want to stay healthy especially for your young one over the long term.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4am to workout or run. On my rest days, I go on a walk during lunch. It took a while to bake it into the routine, but once I realized I wanted to run, I made it the first thing I did every day for ME. I actually had to put myself first, and once I did that, it made everything else easier.
  • SarahGilfach
    SarahGilfach Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    There's ways you can add exercise in without it being an actual exercise session. Take the stairs at work. Go for a walk at lunchtime, as @MikePfirrman suggested. Park as far away from the shops / workplace as possible to make you walk a bit further. Take a break every hour to walk somewhere; when you go to the loo, if there's a choice of more than one, go to the furthest one away. When you have to talk to someone at work, go and see them face to face instead of sending them an instant message (if you're in that sort of workplace). March in place while watching TV, do jumping jacks during the commercials - your toddler will probably think it's hilariously funny and try to join in. When you go to the loo at home, do lunges all the way to and from instead of just walking there. Do squats while waiting for the kettle to boil, or for something to heat up in the microwave. Do squats while reading MyFitnessPal!

Or alternatively, get up half an hour earlier and do a workout session. :) I often go out for a run first thing before my body realises what I'm up to, after grabbing a quick glass of squash. You don't actually need to eat before exercise unless you're planning on a really marathon session, and even then you only want something light so that it doesn't sit awkwardly in your stomach. Just go for it. :)
  • keithwp99
    keithwp99 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Yes. Get in your exercise however it fits in your schedule.

The process that helps me is preparation. I am a trail runner. So, I set my gear out the night before so all I have to do is put them on and go. I make my and my wifes breakfast and lunch the night before. Pre run banana and water layed out. Car keys, Garmin ... check. For me it helps to save time and I am more likely to get out the door if I can just zombie thru prep. I do similar for my weigth training too.

Some folks like flexibility, me doesnt work.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    When my son was little, I worked out on my lunch break. It was the only time I could make it work.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest to start in small steps. Maybe you can find a way to squeeze in 15 minutes, even a few times a week. Once you adjust to that, you will likely find ways to add a little more. It doesn't have to be all or nothing.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Single mom of 3 checking in here. I get up at 5am and get my workout in before I do anything else. If I don't get it done first thing, it won't get done because I'm WAY too tired at the end of the day.

There are lots of good suggestions here to try out. I'd suggest trying a few different things and figuring out what works best for you.

Really, there are no easy answers or tricks. It's just something you choose to make time for or not.
  • Snwkat
    Snwkat Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've been biking for 45 mins everyday at my desk..... I do sprints and up the tension... but I've had to rest for 2 days due to I busted up my knee when I got into a disagreement with a sidewalk and parking lot.

So I'm trying REALLY hard to get back into it and NOT loose motivation.... I have to be at my desk for 8 hours every day...so I might as well put that time to use for me
  • bamarshall02
    bamarshall02 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It's hard with work and children. I work out at home using Jillian Michaels dvds. I do a 40 minute workout on Saturday morning and Sunday morning before kids wake up. Feels great to work it in that way early and have some extra calories those days. But the exercise wont matter for weight loss if you are not in calorie deficit.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Can you go for a walk with the toddler? Go to the park together?
    Dance around the kitchen to music, do a yoga video in the sitting room while they wander around and 'help'?

Do you know any other local mum's that you can swap with? Take it in turns to watch the children while the other goes for a run or whatever.

It doesn't have to be hours at a time to be effective.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I get up before everyone and get it done. Meal planning and food prep helps save time. We also just got a multipot and hubs likes trying new recipes(win for me since he'll cook) but it's also faster.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    In your shoes I’d start with walking as the weather permits. Put the toddler in the stroller and create the habit of a 15-20 minute walk nightly after dinner at first. Add more as you establish the routine. Maybe look for 15-20 minute strength training or yoga videos on YouTube for the mornings before work. I often walk laps around the house indoors in small segments. It all adds up
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Hi Momma! Morning exercise is the ONLY time I have to exercise right now. I wake up at 5 a.m. while the rest of the house is asleep (husband and 3YO and 2YO) and get in my run and then start getting ready for the day. my husband gets in the shower so he's done by the time I get home. after my shower and routine, get the kids ready and out the door. I don't have time or inclination to exercise after working all day, cooking, cleaning and putting kids to bed.
    Morning is my time. Take what you can, when you can.
  • cayenne_007
    cayenne_007 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    It's so hard when you add in other people's schedules to the mix - but you can do this! My typical day - Up at 4:45 and I go ride my horses until 6:30. It keeps me sane and I start the day with a bit of exercise. 7:00 - leave for work. I do Yoga Burn in my office for 30 min at lunch or go for a walk - have a protein bar or cookie instead of a real lunch. I try to sneak in 20 min bike ride in the evenings 4x a week. It's not easy with the kid's activities. I try to keep evenings free for family time. Just work in bits during the day - walk, take the stairs, do some squats - it all adds up! You got this!
  • maybe1pe
    maybe1pe Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I think this is interesting and I have a friend who often asks me how I find the time and motivation to do my workouts and quite frankly.... I don't FIND the time to do them.

I have to make the time to do them... and I had to make a commitment to doing them even when the motivation isn't there. Once my routine was set up that from x time to x time was gym time. I just had to keep showing up even on days I didn't want to...

There's really not a great answer to your question.... Make the time when you can commit to doing it. Whether that's 5 am or 10 pm or on lunch breaks or whenever... you just have to make the time and the commitment to getting it done.
  • VeganMamaSunshine
    VeganMamaSunshine Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Single mom to a four-year-old here, also with no support system. Like others, I am up at 5-5:30 to get that workout in. It's the only way, friend. Ya gotta just suck it up and get out of bed early, sorry to say. Beachbody On Demand is awesome, there are short 20-30 minute workouts that slay. No travel, no fancy gym clothes, no worries. Sometimes I go skidding downstairs with mismatched socks, no hair tie and yesterday's exercise pants on ... I kick the toys and laundry out of the way and give 'er. I've worked out with no shoes on. Take those 20 or 30 minutes to yourself and your body will thank you! You can do it!