New and Frustrated

Options
Hey guys. So I am currently floating around 254 and I have my goal set to lose 2lbs per week so it is giving me 1330 calories. I have been exercising and have my Fitbit connected to track my steps and activity. I have not eaten any of the "exercise calories" and I haven't cheated and I am gaining weight. I don't know what to do differently. Anyone experience this or know why this could be? TIA

Replies

• maureenseel1984
    maureenseel1984 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    You might try a lower goal...maybe 1 lb/week.
    1330 is awfully low for calories. It seems very counter-intuitive. I make better progress with like 1500 instead of 1200. Plus I'm not as grouchy/mean. :/
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    how long have you been logging? If it's been less than 2 weeks it's too early to tell if it's working, things don't always happen immediately.

Also if you have increased the exercise (or it is new) then your muscles may be retaining water to repair themselves masking weight loss temporarily
    http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/

are you using a food scale for all foods?
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1

you should be eating back a reasonable estimate of those exercise calories, a rate of loss of 2lb/week is already aggressive without increasing the deficit.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • Natalietia
    Natalietia Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Stick with it. You will see results eventually it just takes some time and your body will be adjusting. As long as you're truthful with logging your calories and keeping up the exercise there's no reason why you shouldn't begin to lose weight soon! :)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    carder323 wrote: »
    Hey guys. So I am currently floating around 254 and I have my goal set to lose 2lbs per week so it is giving me 1330 calories. I have been exercising and have my Fitbit connected to track my steps and activity. I have not eaten any of the "exercise calories" and I haven't cheated and I am gaining weight. I don't know what to do differently. Anyone experience this or know why this could be? TIA

How long have you lost no weight for?

How much weight have you lost so far and about how long did it take?

Are you using a food scale?

Are you verifying that the entries you are choosing in the database have the correct calories?

Sorry for all the questions :smile:
  • dlbohl1991
    dlbohl1991 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I agree with above I had to mess with my activity level on here and eat more to burn weight. The other side is, how long have you been exercising because water weight always fluctuates make sure you’re being consistent with your weigh ins
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,276 Member
    Options
    It takes a while and sometimes gain somethings lose you have to hang in there.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing your stated routine of using the tools wrong?

At a couple weeks your body could be getting stressed enough from badly undereating that cortisol is increasing, and that will increase water weight gain - that can easily mask the fat loss on the scale, as well as increase scale weight.

Now, if your activity level is set higher than sedentary and your workouts barely push you over that - you could have low adjustments of 50 or less - no big whoop.
    But if hitting 300-500 extra deficit - could be bad.

Because to overcome a 1000 and that much extra daily deficit such you would gain fat weight, would require almost dishonest food logging. (which of course can happen, but betting not)
  • ProgressShowing
    ProgressShowing Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Keep your motivation, the reason(s) that you're on this journey, out in front of you every day; it'll give you strength during tough times. Stay consistent and be persistent and you'll do great!
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,276 Member
    Options
    Happy weekend
  • hunhun57
    hunhun57 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    @carder323 Trust the process. On a scale when losing it’s not a straight line it’s a bunch of ups and downs. The scale doesn’t show what all is coming off . Your clothes will get looser as you keep moving forward on your weight loss journey. Don’t expect the weight to come off fast because then your setting your self up for failure . It takes time , weeks, months , years . But trust the process . Each day you exercise is going to help and diet plus lots of water . What you pour into is what you get out of it.
    Remember food is fuel like filling up a gas tank in a car.
    You got this and don’t lose hope. Muscle is heavier . Fat will burn off .
    Believe in you!! Have a great weekend .