Ribs

Options
This is kinda a weird question, As you’ve lost weight, do you still have “fat person ribs” that poke out at an angle over where your big belly would have been, and will they eventually flatten out?

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    you are just not used to how a body, and YOUR body, is SUPPOSED to look.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I know what you’re talking about - having a huge belly will change the shape of your ribs. In particular your Xiphoid process (the part that joins your ribs below your sternum) may pop out. After two years at normal BMI my xiphoid process looks normal, but my rib cage is and probably always will be flared. However it looks somewhat better.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    ZoneFive wrote: »
    . . . darn, and I came in for the barbecue. ;)

Haha I was hovering clicking seeing if I could guess which kind of ribs :D
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I know in dogs ( excuse the analogy but I work with dogs) morbid obesity/obesity for a prolonged period can change the anatomy including the ribs so I would assume it can do that to people too. Some return to normal after a few years and others remain the same. It could be that or it could simply be that you are not used to seeing your body yet and once you build muscle etc your body will change again. Weightloss is a sometimes confronting and always interesting process.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options

Everyone here has given you good advice. You're learning how a lean(er) body is supposed to look -- congratulations on your success!

I was ready to take a stand for pulled pork with a North Carolina vinegar-based sauce.

And I'm with everybody saying that seeing your ribs, and having a hollow (concavity) below them is what a lean body looks like.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options

Everyone here has given you good advice. You're learning how a lean(er) body is supposed to look -- congratulations on your success!

I was ready to take a stand for pulled pork with a North Carolina vinegar-based sauce.

And I'm with everybody saying that seeing your ribs, and having a hollow (concavity) below them is what a lean body looks like.

That is the only acceptable form of BBQ. I had to re-educate my husband, who is from canada, on what BBQ IS. He has come to the light (right) side ;)