Reached goal weight but can still pinch fat - now what?

Options
whmscll
whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
I am 59 years old, 5’4.5” tall and just reached my goal weight of 122 pounds. I have been lifting for almost a year (progressively heavier but verrrry slowly adding weight). I eat 100-122 grams of protein a day. I look good but still have 2 inches of fat I can pinch on my waist and back, “bat wings” on my arms and a bit of dimpling on my thighs. I got a dexa scan when I weighed 136 (May 2019) and it showed 28.9% body fat. No idea what it is now. I would really like to lose the fat on my back, arms and thighs.

Should I continue to maintain a slight deficit while continuing to lift? Or should I eat at maintenance and recomp?

Replies

• cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    I wonder if you lost say 5 pounds it might make quite a big difference to what you see in the mirror. How do you feel about bulking and continuing with your lifting?
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else, this really ends up being a "what do you want" kind of situation. If you're not happy with your bf%, then go ahead and lose a little more and see if it helps. If you would like to put on more muscle (regardless) then a recomp may be a great option.

Personally, if I'm at my goal and still have more fat than I'd like, I'm more likely to recomp, but my situation is a bit different too. I did more of a recomp for the better part of two years, and this year decided to start dropping the weight (I had a badly atrophied leg after an injury and wanted to build back what I could on that). Due to all the lifting, I think I *may* have more muscle mass than I used to when I was previously at my "goal" so my goal weight right now is pretty flexible once I'm down another ~15 pounds. After that, how my body looks and feels will determine my goal weight.

For reference, I'm 41, F, 5'7" and my goal is 128-132 (ish, give or take).

Nothing wrong with adjusting your goals as you go!
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    As long as you're focused on fat loss and not just weight loss, you should be fine doing either. Now that you're at your goal weight, do you have an image in mind for how you'd like to look? If so, use that to determine what the next phase should be.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering about this last night. I’m a year younger than you and about 4 inches shorter and I’m aiming for 8st 3lbs (115lbs), so that’s probably a similar height adjusted weight, if that makes sense. It’s a weight I stayed at through my late twenties and all through my thirties and I was comfortable and looked acceptable, (even to me, and we’re all harsher critics of ourselves than anyone else!).

But now, 20+ years later, is that still going to be a weight I feel ok at, or am I going to be disappointed and have to go lower to get rid of the last lumps and bumps? I pretty much figured that I’ll look ok with clothes on at that weight and really, at almost 60, how many people are going to see me undressed! So I decided that if/when I get there I’m going to be ok with it!
  • Anabirgite
    Anabirgite Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I am the same height as you and as I was reading the general BMI charts and was wondering why I felt so pudgy at 123-129 though this should be normal. Then I read the General Fitness stickie, "BMR and TDEE Explained for Those Needing a Guide" I went to the website http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/. I was 114/115 most of my life until 7 years ago when I gained 10-15 pounds. Well, honestly I knew this instinct-fully but I am small boned and when I went to that site and provided additional measurements it confirmed I should be 114-118.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I got to my goal weight in my 50's too.
    Except I found that the goal weight that was right for the younger me wasn't appropriate for the older me.

I’m curious to know which way that worked? Was the ideal ‘older me’ lighter or heavier than the ‘younger me’?
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on arriving at your goal weight, you must be proud of yourself and rightfully so.

My body fat declined post maintenance. I ate at a slight deficit while continuing to train as I have and still do. I’m a big fan of running and workouts that are timed and I’m always trying to beat the clock, over time, so the workouts tend to be anaerobic. This works well for me. I continue including walking for 60 minutes when I can because they’re effective too.

Do as you’ve done and keep marching forward.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I got to my goal weight in my 50's too.
    Except I found that the goal weight that was right for the younger me wasn't appropriate for the older me.

I’m curious to know which way that worked? Was the ideal ‘older me’ lighter or heavier than the ‘younger me’?

@BarbaraHelen2013

My original goal was 175lbs (my favourite adult weight but that was in my 20's, I got fat in my 30's).
    I cut in a series of small steps and reassessed each time I got to the new goal and settled on roughly 164 - 168lb range although that's changed over the years as I added muscle and/or changed fitness goals
    That relatively small change had a very marked change on appearance and body composition.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    How much weight did you lose in total? Excess skin could also make you look flabbier than you actually are.

I only lost 18 pounds. Some of what I’m seeing might be loose skin, since skin loses elasticity with age, but there is definitely fat under there as well. I appreciate all the feedback. I think I will try recomp (eating at maintenance and continuing to lift), as I don’t really want to get much smaller (it’s already a bit sad that some of my favorite clothes that I’ve worn for decades, like my leather jacket, are now too big).
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    (it’s already a bit sad that some of my favorite clothes that I’ve worn for decades, like my leather jacket, are now too big).

It's a good problem to have :)
    Lift heavy and carry on
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    How much weight did you lose in total? Excess skin could also make you look flabbier than you actually are.

I only lost 18 pounds. Some of what I’m seeing might be loose skin, since skin loses elasticity with age, but there is definitely fat under there as well. I appreciate all the feedback. I think I will try recomp (eating at maintenance and continuing to lift), as I don’t really want to get much smaller (it’s already a bit sad that some of my favorite clothes that I’ve worn for decades, like my leather jacket, are now too big).

Well, you can wear a sweater under it and make it a colder-weather jacket :)
  • Lolalikeslolagets
    Lolalikeslolagets Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I’m by far no expert but lifting weights completely changes everything- I mean like a good/frequent/consistent hypertrophy program (heavy enough to go 2-3 from failure but 8-20 reps in increasing sets- with a scheduled deload). Give yourself at least a year, eat at maintenance or slightly above- see what happens. I bet you’ll be pleasantly surprised.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    @Lolalikeslolagets what programme are you using?

I have been running AllPro which is in the 8-12 rep range and have had nice results. (They would be good but life keeps interrupting)

Cheers, h.