Cheat Meal

Options
Couple questions related to this. Do you guys train on cheat days? How about before/after cheat meals? Do you train fasted the day after a cheat day/late cheat meal to utilize the extra glycogen? Also I read everywhere that's it's like 1000x better. Not really but significantly better to do a cheat meal right after your workout aka it's important to workout before an enormous cheat meal. Probably like 10,000 calories+.
And somewhere else I read that if you worked out yesterday or 24-72 hours before, the Muscle protein synthesis would still be active and therefore it would somewhat negate you not working out before the cheat. Thoughts? What's your routine for before/during/after cheat day/big meal(s)

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    It's highly unlikely you'd eat 10k plus calories in a meal. Sure 2-3k maybe but getting much more than that takes a whole lot of work.

The few times I've gone up that high (2—5k) since I have been on my weight loss journey has been for special occasions (birthdays, weddings, etc), and I don't alter my routine around it. Ultimately the much better option is to have those days be a rare occasion and not try to develop a whole training plan around it.
  • tec9goo
    tec9goo Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Don't you already have another thread on this? You're really overthinking the timing issue - how many calories you eat and how many calories you burn, consistently, over a period of time (weeks) is way, WAY more important than what time you eat or workout on a given day.

I'm not sure I do but I'll see. Also i know that consistency is key but i was just wondering because there are articles that gives guides on how to get the most or how to best utilize cheat days. I'm just trying to get that little "boost" ya know
  • tec9goo
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Don't you already have another thread on this? You're really overthinking the timing issue - how many calories you eat and how many calories you burn, consistently, over a period of time (weeks) is way, WAY more important than what time you eat or workout on a given day.

This. You are way overthinking it. I do refeeds and most of my workouts are the day of or after, honestly I just go with the flow.. in a bulk my calories are so high so my "cheat day" is everyday so it doesn't matter.

How has your progress been the past few months?

Do you fast and train the day after?(since you have all that glycogen in your system)
  • tec9goo
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    It's highly unlikely you'd eat 10k plus calories in a meal. Sure 2-3k maybe but getting much more than that takes a whole lot of work.

The few times I've gone up that high (2—5k) since I have been on my weight loss journey has been for special occasions (birthdays, weddings, etc), and I don't alter my routine around it. Ultimately the much better option is to have those days be a rare occasion and not try to develop a whole training plan around it.

If you read my salad thread Haha you would know my stomach capacity is superb! The last time I ate at an all you an eat sushi, it was like 33 or 36 rolls in addition to appetizers and some ramen, sides etc...
  • tec9goo
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    I don't believe in cheat meals or days. Why put a negative label on something you choose to eat?

Eat it. Enjoy it. Log it. 💚

I was wondering how to best utilize the cheat day or BIG meal
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    tec9goo wrote: »

If you read my salad thread Haha you would know my stomach capacity is superb! The last time I ate at an all you an eat sushi, it was like 33 or 36 rolls in addition to appetizers and some ramen, sides etc...

Do you mean 33-36 pieces of roll, or 33 full rolls, which would be about 200 sushi pieces?
  • tec9goo
    Options

Do you mean 33-36 pieces of roll, or 33 full rolls, which would be about 200 sushi pieces?

Full. I know I'm a maniac but I do IF and eat big before workout then eat way bigger post.
  • tec9goo
    Options

I dont know if it's from my fat kid days but my stomach capacity is enormous. I weighed myself after i got home that sushi night and the scale said 9 pound increase. Then I drank water and 13 pounds. I felt like a king haha
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,144 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    @tec9goo

What is the purpose of having a cheat day? I never understood that, or what it is coming from when we are talking about our diet. If you want to eat something different or higher in calories, just do it Log it, exercise more and/or eat less the following day. If a cheat day carries you to a cheat week or month and you gain weight, then you know what the problem is.

Do you know the definition of cheat; does it apply to an eating behavior?: Here it goes, and think if this is what you want to do with your diet (as a way of eating). Don't complicate things.

cheat
    [CHēt]

VERB
    act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage, especially in a game or examination.
    "she always cheats at cards"

avoid (something undesirable) by luck or skill.
    "she cheated death in a spectacular crash"

synonyms:
    avoid · escape · evade · elude · [more]

NOUN
    a person who behaves dishonestly in order to gain an advantage.
    "a liar and a cheat"
    synonyms:
    swindler · cheater · fraudster · [more]
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    I don't believe in cheat meals or days. Why put a negative label on something you choose to eat?

Eat it. Enjoy it. Log it. 💚

I was wondering how to best utilize the cheat day or BIG meal

I stand by my response. It was my answer to your question.

Have a pleasant evening.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options

Full. I know I'm a maniac but I do IF and eat big before workout then eat way bigger post.

If you're on a typical workout schedule, that means you're eating "big" at least three times a week and "way bigger" at least three times a week
    Those aren't "cheat meals." That's just your WOE.
  • tec9goo
    Options

If you're on a typical workout schedule, that means you're eating "big" at least three times a week and "way bigger" at least three times a week
    Those aren't "cheat meals." That's just your WOE.

What's a WOE?