What would or do you eat with 1000-1200 banked calories for the week?

Options
2»

Replies

• RedAbilty
    RedAbilty Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Anything vegan 😋🍓
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Wine. Then more wine again the next day, as 1000 calories worth of wine would probably land me in hospital.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,804 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Pizza ... garlic knots ... beer ... Maybe since it's summer I'd skip the knots and have an ice cream cone after.

The last place I tried garlic knots, they brought me ONE that probably had twice the number of calories you're asking about (and yes, those are garlic cloves that got stuffed inside along with olive oil before they baked the thing)
    garlicknot.jpg?format=1500w
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    A really fun place for Sunday brunch with a couple of mimosas.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Home-made ice cream. All the store brands are Way Too Sweet for me.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    figyello wrote: »
    Cap'n Crunch.

OMG, my husband was addicted. 😀

When I was a student at Berkeley decades ago there was a mini-riot in one of the dorm cafeterias when they ran out of captain crunch one morning.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,981 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I personally do not believe in banking.

It's not that I don't think you can't continue to lose/maintain wt by doing it. A lot of people say that they've done it successfully for years.

I just think it's better to treat each day as a separate event w/the same dietary goal each day. Some days you'll do better or worse than expected but that's no reason to reward or punish yourself the next day (or week) by eating more or less than your specific goal each day (or week).

If over the long term, you are more successful than not, you will achieve your goal w/o the need to resort to banking or any other compensatiry dietary technique.

At least that's how I lost 40# in 6 months, maintained that loss for 3 yrs and lost another 5# in the past 3 months.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    lkpducky wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Pizza ... garlic knots ... beer ... Maybe since it's summer I'd skip the knots and have an ice cream cone after.

The last place I tried garlic knots, they brought me ONE that probably had twice the number of calories you're asking about (and yes, those are garlic cloves that got stuffed inside along with olive oil before they baked the thing)
    garlicknot.jpg?format=1500w

I would be willing to trade a limb for that.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »

It's not that I don't think you can't continue to lose/maintain wt by doing it. A lot of people say that they've done it successfully for years.

I just think it's better to treat each day as a separate event w/the same dietary goal each day. Some days you'll do better or worse than expected but that's no reason to reward or punish yourself the next day (or week) by eating more or less than your dpecific goal each day (or week).

If over the long term, you are more successful than not, you will achieve your goal w/o the need to resort to banking or any other compensatiry dietary technique.

At least that's how I lost 40# in 6 months, maintained that loss for 3 yrs and lost another 5# in the past 3 months.

That is a personal choice. It would not work for me. I don't consider it rewarding or punishing I just call it my normal life. My hunger is not consistent and while it once worked against me I now manage it properly and use it to my advantage.

I tried an experiment doing the everyday calorie goal thing. I thought it might be easier. It was not. I hated it. Perhaps at some point things will change and I will evolve into that pattern but for now I do not find it sustainable.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »

I just think it's better to treat each day as a separate event w/the same dietary goal each day. Some days you'll do better or worse than expected but that's no reason to reward or punish yourself the next day (or week) by eating more or less than your dpecific goal each day (or week).

I don’t know that I consider it compensatory rather than a way that I align my intake with what works for my life.

I eat the majority of my daily calories after 8PM-because that’s when I’m hungry. That means eating fewer calories early in the day. Is that a punishment/reward or just aligning intake with when It works for my life.

I align the majority of my weekly calories around the day I do my long run. I need more fuel to complete the runs, and the runs make me very hungry. Is it reward/punishment to move calories to when I will need them the most? Or is it a matter of aligning intake with what works for my life?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Smoked mixed nuts. One of the few things where 1000 calories doesn't even look like much.

As for banking, I absolutely do use that concept. Even healthy weight people who don't actively manage their diet have days where they eat less and days where they eat more. They aren't being less successful when they eat more because they end up balancing low and high days without thinking. I certainly don't consider myself less successful on higher intake days, that's even more harmful to my mental state than the concept of reward (which isn't how I see higher days). It's all part of my overall plan and I'm being successful all the way because I'm keeping to my desired calorie level over time. I refuse to think of enjoying more food when I want/need to as "worse", it's just called being flexible and eating like a normal person.
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    figyello wrote: »
    Cap'n Crunch.

The roof of my mouth is sore just reading this :D
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Why don’t you eat them back if you have them?

I typically end up with around this much saved up through the week to use on weekends. I don’t usually spend them on anything specific, just tend to have more high cal meals on weekends - pizza and beer on Friday nights, maybe grilling on Saturday and want to walk up and get ice cream from the neighborhood gelato shop, and then donuts or a big breakfast on Sunday mornings. Spread out over 3 days that’s one small extra treat each day.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I have learned over the years that I do not put a lot of priority on food Mon-Thurs. I want to eat something decent but I am eating mostly because I am hungry and need food. I use these days to fill myself with nutritionally dense food and it usually creates a higher deficit. I have explored the amount that I don't care and it is quite minimal. The way I eat those 4 days is likely not something that most people would find sustainable. Many would consider it pretty joyless. I still like eating potato chips those days though... weird. Anyway I like that I don't care much those days. It makes it very easy on me for the days I do care.

Fri-Sun I want food that is more interesting. This usually involves at least one restaurant meal and I like having more of the menu available to me. I like cooking and using slightly more caloric ingredients. This is when I switch from leaner proteins to something fattier.

This is what is normal for me now. This is my lane. It is my easiest path forward.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I don't "bank" calories particularly, in that if I have a larger deficit I don't deliberately splurge on something. However my lifestyle involves a fair bit of eating out so inevitably there are days when I may not have any deficit at all. So long as I have at least some weekly deficit I'm good with that.