Low Carb Diet

Options
I've noticed that majority of my diet has been comprised of carbs so I wanted to try something new. Most of the time I try to stay away from meat and dairy but I'll be willing to try out a keto-like lifestyle for awhile. In addition to this diet, I'll also be doing omad (hopefully I don't get too hungry). If you guys have any recipes please feel free to post them in this discussion. :)

And before I end this post, I wanted to know if you have to get enough calories on a keto diet? I know it might seem like a dumb question but, after coming home from work I'd normally eat oatmeal and fruits and stuff, but I just don't see myself getting full off of meat.

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Look for a keto group and a OMAD group.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/120682-omad-diet-one-meal-a-day-diet

You will find most members here use a more moderate approach to losing weight (like eating at a calorie deficit).
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    just made this today for lunch. Ingredients: 1lb Ground Beef, 3 oz light cream cheese, 1/2 cup heavy cream, 1/2 cup low sodium beef broth, 2 cans of drained green beans no salt, topped with 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese of your choice (I used a mexican blend). Salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste. Directions: Brown ground beef, drain, add cream cheese and melt, then add heavy cream and broth, bring to boil and thicken. add salt, pepper and garlic powder, top with beans, and finally with cheese....bake in 350 F oven for 25 min.....Delicious! One 245 gram serving = 582 calories, 38 g Protein and only 9 g Carbs.
    9axn5bie2mgj.jpg
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I'm also curious to know why you are making such a big change. Are you no longer losing weight? Do you believe carbs are bad?
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Try keto for a week and see what you think. Google "keto flu" before you do. If it makes it easier for you to stay in a calorie deficit then great. If not, you learned what doesn't work for you.

I would encourage you NOT to try OMAD in the same week though. That is just begging to be highly fatigued.

I am not sure what you are asking in your calorie question. You do need to eat enough calories to fuel your day and remain in a calorie deficit if you wish to lose weight. Because keto is a high fat diet if you do not find fat satiating you could end up eating in a surplus and gaining weight.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Honeyacid wrote: »
    I've noticed that majority of my diet has been comprised of carbs so I wanted to try something new. Most of the time I try to stay away from meat and dairy but I'll be willing to try out a keto-like lifestyle for awhile. In addition to this diet, I'll also be doing omad (hopefully I don't get too hungry). If you guys have any recipes please feel free to post them in this discussion. :)

And before I end this post, I wanted to know if you have to get enough calories on a keto diet? I know it might seem like a dumb question but, after coming home from work I'd normally eat oatmeal and fruits and stuff, but I just don't see myself getting full off of meat.

Good news! Despite the hype, you do not need to do keto or OMAD to lose weight. I know plenty of healthy and fit vegans who eat upwards of 60% carbs. They however, make legumes the staple of their diets. Perhaps you would find rice and beans more filling than oatmeal and fruit.

What is your current protein goal and how well do you hit it?

h27zjawgvyoy.jpg
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Try keto for a week and see what you think. Google "keto flu" before you do. If it makes it easier for you to stay in a calorie deficit then great. If not, you learned what doesn't work for you.

I would encourage you NOT to try OMAD in the same week though. That is just begging to be highly fatigued.

I am not sure what you are asking in your calorie question. You do need to eat enough calories to fuel your day and remain in a calorie deficit if you wish to lose weight. Because keto is a high fat diet if you do not find fat satiating you could end up eating in a surplus and gaining weight.

I feel as though I have to do omad because I have a really bad binging disorder. If I don't do some sort of fasting, I'm sure that I'd start binging.

I asked the calorie question because on a low carb diet, I know that I'll only be able to consume around 500 - 900kcals per day. So I was wondering if it's required to get enough calories in on this diet. I know that it's probably a stupid question.

No question is stupid, unless you already know the answer. However, some ways of eating are pretty stupid, and underfueling yourself because you don’t like eating the foods provided by your chosen diet would be an example of a dumb way of eating. Very low calorie diets put your health at risk - long term effects include hair loss, muscle wasting, and nutritional deficiencies. Even short term, starving yourself can mess up your electrolytes and cause heart rhythm problems. It’s better to eat what you need to eat. These aren’t just theoretical problems either - I unintentionally ate too little when I first started dieting, and ended up losing a lot of my hair six months later. You won’t notice hair loss until far, far too late.

Have you seen a doctor about your binging disorder? I have a couple of friends who found medication was very helpful in controlling their binging.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Good news! Despite the hype, you do not need to do keto or OMAD to lose weight. I know plenty of healthy and fit vegans who eat upwards of 60% carbs. They however, make legumes the staple of their diets. Perhaps you would find rice and beans more filling than oatmeal and fruit.

h27zjawgvyoy.jpg

My protein goal is around 60 grams. but I rarely ever hit that goal

Instead of focusing on eliminating or greatly restricting your carbs while you seem to prefer not to eat meat or dairy, it might be more productive to focus on ways to work more protein into your diet, whether that be from eggs, legumes, soy milk, seitan, higher-protein grains like quinoa, whatever meat/poultry/fish/dairy you do like or at least don't mind, or protein powders.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

I feel as though I have to do omad because I have a really bad binging disorder. If I don't do some sort of fasting, I'm sure that I'd start binging.

I asked the calorie question because on a low carb diet, I know that I'll only be able to consume around 500 - 900kcals per day. So I was wondering if it's required to get enough calories in on this diet. I know that it's probably a stupid question.

When I suggested you should experiment I assumed you were approaching it from a solid foundation. I realize now that is not the case and you should absolutely not experiment unless directed by a healthcare professional.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

h27zjawgvyoy.jpg

My protein goal is around 60 grams. but I rarely ever hit that goal
    Instead of focusing on eliminating or greatly restricting your carbs while you seem to prefer not to eat meat or dairy, it might be more productive to focus on ways to work more protein into your diet, whether that be from eggs, legumes, soy milk, seitan, higher-protein grains like quinoa, whatever meat/poultry/fish/dairy you do like or at least don't mind, or protein powders.

@Honeyacid I will eat and eat and eat and never feel satisfied if I don't get enough protein, so I suggest the first thing you do is to up your protein, which you can do with the plant-based and other suggestions above.

I used to think there was something wrong with me - turned out all I needed was more protein.

What's your goal weight?