Need binge advice

Options
Anyone here have binge episodes? Do really good for three weeks then binge? I am trying conquer this part of my personality. I can’t afford therapy... but if anyone has some good advice then I would appreciate it.

Replies

• emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    How does your protein look on your current eating style? Also does your current calorie goal seem restrictive? Are you able to fit in foods that you enjoy daily?
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I should also add that I often ask myself whether the calories in the food worth the enjoyment I'll get from eating it. There have been many a time when I have made different decisions because I realised that I would get the same enjoyment out of a different choice that had significantly fewer calories.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    When you binge, start the next day fresh and on track, without trying to do anything special to “make up” for the overindulgence of the day before. Unless you binge often (every three weeks may be a bit often), one binge day every so often will slow you down only slightly.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I’m very lucky in that my drive way is 40 miles long and the nearest store is over two hours away so when we go into town every two weeks I get myself a chocolate bar and a small packet of chips and enjoy it. I make sure nothing else is bought so I can’t eat it when I get home.
    Binging is really difficult to combat because those foods are just so great and so satisfying. Try adding it regularly into your diet within you cals so that you aren’t denied. That can work.

I’m currently staying at my mum’s in town and am working out extra every day so that I can justify the extra sweets. Another month and I’ll be without the struggle haha
  • shrinkingweez
    shrinkingweez Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I let myself have one day every week eating at a maintenance level of calories (so I get 2500 calories to play with rather than 1500), which lets me have some of the stuff that I'd usually binge on (maybe a small pizza, or a McDonalds) as long as I don't go mad. It helps to keep it in the plan, because then when I go I stick to what I planned to order rather than going mad and eating way too much out of a sense of guilt/must eat it all NOW.

I've found that eating one day at maintenance hasn't hindered me so far. I've lost 17lbs and counting. It also helps me stay on track the rest of the week, because I can look forward to Sunday. This week I had a roast dinner with pork belly and cauliflower cheese, it was well worth the other six days of effort!

Allowing myself controlled access to the foods I crave is honestly the only way I've found that works. Restricting my access completely, or telling myself certain foods are forbidden, always leads to a massive binge in my case.
  • koalathebear
    koalathebear Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I've been on a fitness regimen since early January and the only way I can cope is to make sure I factor food I like into my day. I plan my meals ahead of time and factor in treats/sweets - I love cake, chocolate, biscuits, ice cream, fried food, bread, pasta, rice etc so I will have two smallish meals and one largeish meal. I will let myself eat more on the weekends when I can exercise more. I've never exceeded my daily budget although there have been days when I have come down to the wire with almost no deficit ... I supplement my daily budget with a lot of exercise so have often been able to rein myself in by entering the food into MFP and then realising that I need to walk the dogs for an extra two hours / be on the elliptical an extra hour / do 1.5 hours worth of zumba to work it off. Then I decide if it's worth it or not. If it is, then I leave the food entry in there and eat it. If not, I take it out.

Sometimes, entering it into MFP makes me realise that it's not worth it and perhaps for the same amount I can eat something else equally yummy but more of it. I love food, so it's not easy for me but by not depriving myself too much, I have managed to get through the last 8 months and am 2kg away from goal weight. I also always have low cal jelly/jello in the fridge and I also drink carbonated mineral water to fill up a bit and deter myself from too much additional snacking. Good luck - I know it's hard!!!
  • angiesjourney
    angiesjourney Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thank all of you so much. All of you have given some great advice