foods that a good for lowering bad cholesterol?

Options
Looking to help my dad with different foods to help lower his bad cholesterol. He just had one of his arteries unclogged which was 90% clogged. They put in a stint and should be good but want to help him. His doctor provided him with info but as an old guy he doesnt listen.

any tips and ideas of different foods that can help.

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Use the doctor's advice or ask for a referral to a registered dietitian.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

This ^^^^^
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Do you mean he doesn't know what his doctor advised because he doesn't listen?
    Or that he knows what the doctor advised but isn't listening to it?

If he doesn't know what the doctor told him to do, can you call the doctor's office? Many offices will give after-care instructions to a family member.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

^^^This...
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    yes the doctors advice is one but i wasnt there. i can call and i will. Just wondering if anyone has tips that worked well for them. I know all is different but maybe something i dont know as well.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    raven56706 wrote: »
    yes the doctors advice is one but i wasnt there. i can call and i will. Just wondering if anyone has tips that worked well for them. I know all is different but maybe something i dont know as well.

Well, I had to lower my cholesterol when I took a blood test for health insurance. I did it by going vegan. It dropped like a rock. Total went down, LDL went down, HDL stayed in range but dropped a little as well. Not advising on what your Pop should do, just telling you my experience...
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Ya, going vegetarian had the same effect on my husband -- fast lowering of cholesterol levels, basically within 4 or 5 months.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options

For my dad, eating oatmeal, losing 15 lbs, and getting more active helped. They were all done together, so no idea which parts of the plan had the biggest impact. In general though, I believe weight and activity level are thought to have far more to do with cholesterol levels than diet, but I'm no expert.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Giving up cheese was the worst part of it evidently.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

For my dad, eating oatmeal, losing 15 lbs, and getting more active helped. They were all done together, so no idea which parts of the plan had the biggest impact. In general though, I believe weight and activity level are thought to have far more to do with cholesterol levels than diet, but I'm no expert.

Great point. Forgot to say that for me, possibly the reason it worked so fast (3 months) was that I am very active...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Weight loss and exercise generally have the biggest impact.

But fish (especially fatty kinds) and other foods high in Omega 3s (chia seeds), fibrous fruits and veggies and olive oil

What is also important is reducing or eliminating added sugar, reducing Omega 6s and replacing saturated fats with unsaturated fats is helpful.

Overall, a Mediterranean style diet has been regarded as one of the most effective diets for health.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

Well, I had to lower my cholesterol when I took a blood test for health insurance. I did it by going vegan. It dropped like a rock. Total went down, LDL went down, HDL stayed in range but dropped a little as well. Not advising on what your Pop should do, just telling you my experience...

Also not saying what your dad should do, but my dad had to lower his bad cholesterol a while back. He was already a healthy weight and active, and he gave up (but for special occasions) red meat and cut way back on non skim dairy, and his went into the approved range. He also already ate some kind of high fiber cereal with fruit for breakfast, and kept that, just changing his milk source.