Help with a calorie estimate please?

Options
thanos5
thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
7zhvkbkhgval.jpg

This was dinner...can anyone please help estimate the calories? Regular pasta, beef meatballs, pork Italian sausage, Italian bread. Thanks!

Replies

• thanos5
    Options
    Heh I guessed 876. Thanks!
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I agree with the 800.
  • thanos5
    Options
    thank you @LyndaBSS !
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    You're welcome. ☺
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Having no idea who made the bread, what's in the sausage or in the meatballs, there's no way any estimate given here is going to have much chance of being reliably accurate, especially considering that even if we knew all the ingredients, inaccuracies in estimating your portion sizes could result in being off by 100s of calories.
    We don't know how much pasta that is or how much those meatballs weighed even if we did know how they were made.
    Your guess is as good as mine.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    I guessed 800 before I looked at the replies.

We're on the same wavelength at least. :)
  • Basketballandfitness
    Options
    Is there a website or an App to calculate the calories in your food?
  • duskyjewel
    duskyjewel Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Having no idea who made the bread, what's in the sausage or in the meatballs, there's no way any estimate given here is going to have much chance of being reliably accurate, especially considering that even if we knew all the ingredients, inaccuracies in estimating your portion sizes could result in being off by 100s of calories.
    We don't know how much pasta that is or how much those meatballs weighed even if we did know how they were made.

I honestly thought the estimate given was really good. Sometimes close enough has to be good enough.

When I eat something at a work potluck, I estimate the best I can, but I have no idea what recipe they used. But I accept that it's never going to be 100% accurate because there is a certain level of insanity to which I refuse to descend.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    duskyjewel wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

I honestly thought the estimate given was really good. Sometimes close enough has to be good enough.

When I eat something at a work potluck, I estimate the best I can, but I have no idea what recipe they used. But I accept that it's never going to be 100% accurate because there is a certain level of insanity to which I refuse to descend.

I do that all the time too at potlucks, other people's homes, non-chain restaurants, etc. But then I'm seeing it in person (and lifting it up on a spoon or fork), so I have some way of estimating volume or weight. Most of the photos I see in threads like this put nothing in the frame that has a known standard size (ruler, deck of cards, coin or dollar bill) to use for a frame of reference. Plates, glasses, even utensils to some extent come in a wide range of sizes.

Also, is there some serious foreshortening going on in this photo? It doesn't look like it to me, but IMO, contrary to the first post, if that's a 120-cal slice of bread, that's less than a standard 2 oz. dry serving of pasta. If that's 4 oz. dry pasta, as the first post suggested, that's at least a 300 calorie slice of bread.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Is there a website or an App to calculate the calories in your food?

I think there’s one called MFP. 🤪