Carbs!!

Options
Opinions? Is it necessary to cut carbs to loose weight?!

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Absolutely not.
    Calorie deficit is all you need.
    How you spend your calories is a personal choice.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Probably. If you cut calories, you're probably going to reduce your carb intake a bit. Most people's "dieting" caloric intake does not include the same number of grams of carbohydrates that their "maintaining" calorie intake contains. Do you have to "go low carb"? Likely not.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    No. Not an "opinion". It is a fact. Many people here have lost significant weight (myself included), without reducing the percentage of carbohydrates they intake as part of their overall calorie intake.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    It is not "necessary" but it may be "advisable".

For weight loss, a carb calorie counts the same as a protein or fat calorie. Makes no difference at all.

That said, a lot of people find protein, or protein and fat, more "filling" than carbs and therefore easier to remain satisfied while eating a restricted calorie diet.

Also, there are high fiber carbs like broccoli, and empty calorie carbs like white bread. Refined carbs provide little fill and just lead to craving for more carbs -- when's the last time you ate 5 Doritos and stopped? Replacing those empty calories with fiber, protein, or fat can do wonders for a diet.

Personally, I much prefer higher protein/fat meals to carby meals; I find it easier to stay full and satisfied, and of course, a chicken breast with a side of broccoli is way healthier than a bowl of refined white pasta.

All that said, no, it is not necessary to cut carbs. The only thing you must cut is calories to lose weight. If you love carbs, have at it ... up to your calorie limit for the day and no further.
  • savannahs21
    savannahs21 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Nope! I am doing high carb low fat. Still losing weight!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    No. Not an "opinion". It is a fact. Many people here have lost significant weight (myself included), without reducing the percentage of carbohydrates they intake as part of their overall calorie intake.

Percentage, no. Overall number of grams, yes.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    carbs are yummy
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    camie_13 wrote: »
    Opinions? Is it necessary to cut carbs to loose weight?!

My opinion is no, you don't have to cut carbs to lose weight.

It's also scientific fact, you don't have to cut carbs to lose weight.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    plus, 1 g of carb = 4 calories, 1 g of fat = 9 calories. I know what I'd rather be eating!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options

This is what I was thinking too.

Do you have to in order to lose? No. But will most people (just as they will also reduce fat)? Yes.

Personally, I kept my protein about steady and cut back on fat and carbs just because the foods that I found easiest to cut were higher fat and carb (and I cut portion sizes of starchy sides and added fat).

But absolutely you don't need to go low carb or worry about carb percentage in order to lose.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I eat porridge and fruit every day and am in a steady weight decline. As long as you stay within your deficit you can eat what you like
  • ShayCarver89
    ShayCarver89 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 pounds eating whatever I wanted as long as I stayed within my calorie limit.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options

Yes but that is kind of splitting hairs over semantics in my opinion. You need to reduce your overall calorie intake to lose weight. Likely you will reduce the physical number of carbs as part of this (although you theoretically don't have to, you could keep the same and reduce other macros, but again, that's semantics). But when people talk about "cutting carbs", that is not what they are talking about. They mean removing "carb" foods from their diets or going low carb. And that people do not need to do.