Exercise is not helping me lose weight. Am I doing something wrong?

2»

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    edited August 2019
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Maria_FFM wrote: »
    OP what are your stats?
    Height.
    Weight?
    Age?

69kgs

At your height, weight, age and activity level I have you at...
    1845 calories per day for 1/2 pound loss per week and or,
    1595 calories per day for 1 pound loss per week.

To be sure, I have you as 5'5", 152 pounds and 38 yrs and you're looking to lose probably about 25 or so pounds...

she is 5'7" not 5'5" 170 cm = 56.92 inches, or 5'6.92" that 2" at that weight does make a difference on where the OP is for healthy weight range for height.
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    edited August 2019

Athlete here. I did the yo-yo up and down. In fact I was on a recent podcast where it was apparent exercise wasn't helping me lose weight at all. this fact was featured and highlighted during the podcast. In fact many of my training pics I am a bit thick and it wasn't all muscle. I had to change the way I ate.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    erickirb wrote: »
    OP what are your stats?
    Height.
    Weight?
    Age?

69kgs

At your height, weight, age and activity level I have you at...
    1845 calories per day for 1/2 pound loss per week and or,
    1595 calories per day for 1 pound loss per week.

To be sure, I have you as 5'5", 152 pounds and 38 yrs and you're looking to lose probably about 25 or so pounds...

she is 5'7" not 5'5" 170 cm = 56.92 inches, or 5'6.92" that 2" at that weight does make a difference on where the OP is for healthy weight range for height.

Ah good catch! Ty...
  • J72FIT
    So OP you are on the high end of normal. How much are you looking to lose?
  • Maria_FFM
    Maria_FFM Posts: 25 Member
    OP what are your stats?
    Height.
    Weight?
    Age?

69kgs

I'm the same as you!! I'm 5''4 69kgs and 30 years old!

Very slow loss for me, exercising and tracking everything. Figured I was expecting results too quickly...it wont be as we are considered only slightly overweight.
    Don't give up!!

Somehow reassuring reading im not the only one :)
    I will not give up. Hope you wont too!. Whats your goal?
  • Maria_FFM
    edited August 2019

I would like to be around 60-62kgs.

Edit: in fact, more towards 62 than 60..I dont need to go that far. A couple of years ago at 62kg I was very happy with my shape.
  • J72FIT
    edited August 2019

Edit: in fact, more towards 62 than 60..I dont need to go that far. A couple of years ago at 62kg I was very happy with my shape.

Then I would go with the higher 1845 calls per day for 1/2 pound loss per week. I mistakenly said you were 5’5” tall but I used 170cm in my calculation so the numbers are correct.
  • Maria_FFM

Then I would go with the higher 1845 calls per day for 1/2 pound loss per week. I mistakenly said you were 5’5” tall but I used 170cm in my calculation so the numbers are correct.

Forgive me for being skeptical, but I wont lose weight on so many calories. Maybe my body functions in an odd way?! :)
    The only time I saw real weight loss was when I was around 1000 calories /day.
    But because now im exercising so often and for some peace of mind ( as I read that wouldnt be good for me), Im keeping to 1200-1300 day, hoping something will change on the scale.

Im still on 69kgs...200g up or down, controlling my eating and exercising 5 times a week.

I hope sooner or later I will see a result. So far I see Im more toned. At least that!

• J72FIT

Forgive me for being skeptical, but I wont lose weight on so many calories. Maybe my body functions in an odd way?! :)
    The only time I saw real weight loss was when I was around 1000 calories /day.
    But because now im exercising so often and for some peace of mind ( as I read that wouldnt be good for me), Im keeping to 1200-1300 day, hoping something will change on the scale.

Im still on 69kgs...200g up or down, controlling my eating and exercising 5 times a week.

I hope sooner or later I will see a result. So far I see Im more toned. At least that!

Your BMR comes in at 1395. With activity factored in it bumps up to 2090. For a half pound loss per week you reduce by 250, for a 1 pound loss per week you reduce by 500. That gives you a range of 1840 - 1590. You could try the lower number, 1590 calories per day and see how that goes. Change it up to 1/2 pound per week numbers once you are 10lbs from goal weight. Up to you what you decide to do. IMO, eating under your BMR while training at the volume you do is not a good idea...
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Exercise has very little to do with weight loss. The diet helps you lose weight, exercise is for health benefits.
  • changeconsumeme
    changeconsumeme Posts: 229 Member
    No, you do not choose sedentary and then add exercise calories to it. That’s why it gives you other options for activity level. Even with a desk job, you could choose at least Lightly Active.

Anyway, the other people’s advice here is dead on. You don’t have that much to lose. You don’t need to starve to lose weight and be in a calorie deficit, but reign in your expectations. A slower rate of loss is absolutely okay.
  • Maria_FFM
    Thank you for everyone’s input so far.
    Scale hasnt still moved much, Im 500grams down: 68,5kgs.

However, I just did the body scan at the gym and Im happy with the numbers. While the scale is not moving much :(, I saw progress here. And well, Im one cup size down.... I wish I was reducing my belly/thighs size..not my breasts.

Below are my results from August 6th and from today, Sep 1st:

Weight
    69,5kgs - 68,5kgs

%Fat Mass
    34,4% - 29,6%

BMI
    24,2 - 23,8

BMR
    1,392 - 1,447

Body Fat Mass
    24,1kg - 20,4kg

Bone Mass
    2,3kg - 2,5kg

Fat Free Mass
    45,9kg - 48,5kg

Muscle Mass
    43,6kg - 46kg

Total Body Water
    32,8kg - 34,7kg

Total Body Water %
    46,9% - 50,4%

Visceral Fat Level
    5 - 4

While I havent read much about what should be the trend for these numbers, in such amount of time, common sense and intuition is telling me this is good 🙃🙃🙃

Im feeling motivated and wanted to share it 🤗

Wish you all a lovely Sunday!