According to MFP my HIIT session only burned 200cal!?!

Options
So I did 30mins of non-stop running, burpees, high knees, jumps and squats and mfp has that at 200cal. I don’t have a watch atm. I feel like it should be at least 300 but maybe I’m overestimating? I worked my butt off and almost puked lol.

Replies

• Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I only eat 50% back and am losing steadily but figured I would have burned more. I eat literally the exact same thing every day so food isn’t generally something I look forward to. I’m just interested in what burns more calories. I did hill hiking today and burned double what I did for hiit
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    HIIT doesn’t really burn a lot of calories. It’s very taxing on the body, but the “work” periods are very short duration. And because the number of calories burned depends on the amount of “work” done - the overall resulting calorie burn is not very high.

Depending on your weight and what specifically you did and how long your rest periods were, 200 might be a little high. I certainly wouldn’t go any higher than that.

From a straight calorie burning standpoint, moderate intensity sustained cardio will be the biggest bang for the buck because it can be sustained for a long period of time and doesn’t tax your body such that you can’t workout “normally” the following day.

If you’re training for something and/or working to improve fitness for certain things, you will probably want to include a number of different types of training (intensity/duration) regardless of whether or not they burn a lot of calories.

This^^
    MikePTY wrote: »
    So I did 30mins of non-stop running, burpees, high knees, jumps and squats and mfp has that at 200cal. I don’t have a watch atm. I feel like it should be at least 300 but maybe I’m overestimating? I worked my butt off and almost puked lol.

BTW what you described is not an "HIIT" workout, which is probably one of the most overused terms for exercise. It sounds like it was vigerous calestenics.

400 cal an hour is a pretty sizable burn for execise for a moderately sized woman. You are realistically not going to burn much more than that regardless of what you do. But "working hard" and "feeling tired" do not always translate to calories burns.
    And this.
    Not HIIT and not a high calorie burner despite the rate of perceived exertion.

While exercise burns a few extra calories, weight loss is driven by diet not exercise. Fitness is driven by exercise. As @NorthCascades points out, HIIT is a protocol for increasing Vo2 max for athletes in certain kinds of sports. There is a lot of marketing hype around HIIT but, for calorie burn, you'd have been better off taking a 4 mile walk.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Ok so my stats are 5’4” female 75kg aiming for 65kg. Pretty fit cardio wise but very little upper body strength. Lower body better but not great. I’m off work for another month so my week looks like this atm mon - 10km uphill hike then yoga and HIIT using weights, tues - 10-15km hike uphill then this class, weds 10km flat walk, rpm, core and self- defence, thurs trx then horse riding, Friday boxing then 15km uphill hike. This is all around general farm work. Sat is generally a 20km hike and Sunday is a complete rest day. I’m on 1200/day and log accurately. I’m wanting to increase fitness now and am conditioning myself for comps next year.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Options
    Yeah I eat back 50-75% of my calories 50 if I’m not hungry and 75 if I am.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Options
    I just adjusted my goals to say I’m very active and get 1530 per day. That makes me happier
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Burning calories is hard work. Most people don't realize how much effort you have to put in to burn even a moderate number of calories. It's generally far easier for weight control purposes to watch what you eat.

Here's a useful page for giving you an idea of calories involved in certain activities: https://choosemyplate.gov/physical-activity-calories-burn