Under estimating calories in meals

Options
I'm not here to name names, or point fingers...but I've seen a few peoples diaries...where I think they are severely under estimating calories, especially when eating out!!! Is it just me who has made this observation??

Replies

• hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I don't worry too much about it.

What they do with their bodies is their own business.

But at the same time if I did it on accident, I would hope someone would point it out to me.
  • 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    agree....and then wonder why they're not loosing weight!!!
    Oh well....live and learn:blushing:
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    this always happens.
    what i find more than anything is over estimating calories burned..i mean really..burning a thousand calories from walking on a treadmill for an hour..please
  • Jade1x
    Jade1x Posts: 166
    Options
    this always happens.
    what i find more than anything is over estimating calories burned..i mean really..burning a thousand calories from walking on a treadmill for an hour..please

Haha i love this lol. So true tho
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    this always happens.

Agreed...
  • crobinson53
    Options
    I completely agree. I assume the worst when putting in restaurant foods. I normally have to substitute what I ate with things already in the database.

I think it's out duty as friends to point out inconsistencies in each others diary. The same goes for the exercise logs too. 1100 calories getting the mail? Come on! :)
  • MelC2564
    MelC2564 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    So perhaps a nice polite convo with the culprits would be good, rather than scoffing at it here.. Aren't we meant to help each other?
  • futurefitgirl88
    Options
    I could run for an hour on the treadmil and the max burn I would get is 650 ....this is on an incline of 4 and really busting my *kitten*!!!
    And I also love how people add all these random chores to their exercise calories.....lol it all adds up to giving them like a 3000 calorie eating allowance!!! That's just poor sense!!! Plus all the so called 'low calorie' take out foods....

1 cup potato wedges for 100 calories.... are u freaking insane!!!

Off course what a person eats is their own business,but when someones diary is private it kinda makes it OK for other people to comment on ....
  • PhilipByrne
    PhilipByrne Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I completely agree. I assume the worst when putting in restaurant foods. I normally have to substitute what I ate with things already in the database.

I think it's out duty as friends to point out inconsistencies in each others diary. The same goes for the exercise logs too. 1100 calories getting the mail? Come on! :)

Hmmm.... So maybe I was right to doubt the:- 2,000 cals, searching, really hard, for the T.V. remote.
  • hstallings13
    Options
    I think it needs to be their deal unless they ask for help or your advice. We are here to support each other. We are adults and can make our choices, but unless someone asks for opipion I'm not going to point fingers at what I see as a fault, it may work for them, it's a personal choice we are just here for support and encouagement.
  • cherrieruns
    cherrieruns Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    So perhaps a nice polite convo with the culprits would be good, rather than scoffing at it here.. Aren't we meant to help each other?

this is what I was thinking. Pretty sure none of us is perfect.
  • Jade1x
    Jade1x Posts: 166
    Options
    They are only cheating themselves anyway :)
  • futurefitgirl88
    Options
    I'm not pointing my finger at ANYONE...I'm just saying I've seen a LOT of people doing this....its just hindering their weight loss. Maybe this will get a message across and people will lose weight to their potential and discover their inner athlete instead of counting "cleaning the dishes" as exercise- cause quite frankly, it isn't.
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    People only cheat themselves so it is them that its hurting! I read somewhere where you underestimate your calories by 40% and overestimate your calorie burn by 20%.
    I do know that calories burned depends on your weight as I burn about half what I used to when I first started this journey so I don't tend to judge others calorie burn.

4925355.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Page2777
    Page2777 Posts: 91
    Options
    you only cheat yourself if you lie i have to admit tho i find it hard sometimes to work out exactly what i have had for my food diary i just hope that i over rather than under estimate would rather be hard on myself than go to easy and not see any results
  • futurefitgirl88
    Options
    you only cheat yourself if you lie i have to admit tho i find it hard sometimes to work out exactly what i have had for my food diary i just hope that i over rather than under estimate would rather be hard on myself than go to easy and not see any results

Exactly what I try to do :) !!! Also if I don't know how much calories that kung-paw-wow chicken has from Chinese take away I'd rather not eat it....and opt for a home cooked meal or a Subway instead!!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i kind of agree, but at the same time, its each to their own.

i throw stuff i eat on the scales to get an accurate weight as much as i can, but not everyone does this and i see some estimates that i know are WAY out, and if it was effecting their weight loss and they asked for advice i would point it out, but until then i will just worry about my own cals, not everyone elses!
  • futurefitgirl88
    Options
    I'm not talking about minor discrepancies........ I'm sure we all do that...but logging foods that are way over (+500 cals) is a major diet disaster....hopefully people will be more aware of this in future.
  • jamhamster
    jamhamster Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    They are only cheating themselves anyway :)

Totaly agree :) as for the calorie burning people have mentioned, do bear in mind the cal's you burn does depend on the weight you are, a heavier person will burn more doing less Me and my friend logged the same amount of walking at the same speed but cause she's lot lighter than me she burnt alot less. I tend to try over est my calories if I do ever eat out which has been once :) and I tend to under est my burns and only log if I do a work out or go for a long brisk walk, not just gonna add every little thing cause at the end of the day I want to loose this weight not disillusion myself and I must be doing something right as have lost 25lbs so far and only been on here for just over 45 days
  • mandysjourney
    mandysjourney Posts: 260 Member
    Options

Hmmm.... So maybe I was right to doubt the:- 2,000 cals, searching, really hard, for the T.V. remote.

pmsl. Hey I reckon you could burn quite a few looking for it.
    and the checking the mail. Well myh sisters mail box is about 5km from her house so a return trip of 10km. But statring the car up doesnt really count