Dinner ideas for 7

Options
Help I looked on Pinterest and no luck. I have a ham what can I make to go with it like sides or make it in casserole. Thank u

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I could've helped had it been anything other than ham. Sorry, I hate the stuff. I would serve it directly to the trash. 😀
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to think back to what my mom served with ham.

Potatoes au gratin
    Pineapple
    Green beans
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Scalloped potatoes and ham.
    Fresh fruit salad.
  • cnjg6677
    cnjg6677 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Pinto beans and a tortilla with a fruit salad
  • sadiebot
    sadiebot Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Roasted romaine salad - cut romaine hearts in half and roast them cut side down for 7 minutes or so in a 400 degree oven, until they start to brown on the edges of the leaves. Flip them over on each plate and drizzle with a vinaigrette and goat cheese crumble or Caesar and grated Parmesan.
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,821 Member
    Options
    Mac and cheese
    Some sort of green vegetable- green bean, cabbage and asparagus
    Stuffing
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Scalloped potatoes and green beans and a good bread and green salad
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,613 Member
    Options
    If it is a festive meal and you wanted to add an extra vegetable I would add something with a bitter note such as charred cabbage, roast brussel sprouts or roast endive.
    https://www.thinknourished.com/example-recipes/roast-hispi-cabbage-recipe/
    https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1015377-roasted-belgian-endive
    http://www.foodnetwork.co.uk/recipes/roasted-brussels-sprouts.html?utm_source=foodnetwork.com&utm_medium=domestic
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Publix Potato Salad and spiced up Pork & Beans or asparagus casserole.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    We're Irish. My mom did scalloped potatoes with ham. If you want a potato dish less labor intensive, baked or mashed. Or you can buy premade potato salad.

Mac and cheese is also nice with ham, but if it's a big ham, might want to save that for the leftovers.

For veggies, green beans would indeed be nice, or the big tub of premade salad from a store with different salad dressings on the side mentioned above would be easy.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    The choices of side dishes that go with ham are endless which is why there is probably nothing on whatever pinterest is. You can just google side dishes and just about everything will go.

I would not make the ham into a casserole though. Casseroles are not a good idea for a dinner party and especially not one with 7 people.

I would go with a warm beet and goat cheese salad, roasted red potatoes, yeast rolls, and asparagus.
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    are you looking for fancy or just dinner? If it's just dinner then there are plenty of crock pot options.

There is also the option of cooking the ham beforehand, and slicing cold. Then you can concentrate on the sides on the day. Not a bad idea if you want to spend time with guests instead of slaving in the kitchen.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    The choices of side dishes that go with ham are endless which is why there is probably nothing on whatever pinterest is. You can just google side dishes and just about everything will go.

I would not make the ham into a casserole though. Casseroles are not a good idea for a dinner party and especially not one with 7 people.

I would go with a warm beet and goat cheese salad, roasted red potatoes, yeast rolls, and asparagus.

I can conceive of getting inspiration from pinterest, but I'm not convinced that it is a great medium for learning.

https://www.infront.com/blog/the-blog/what-is-pinterest-and-how-does-it-work

Pinterest is a social network that allows users to visually share, and discover new interests by posting (known as 'pinning') images or videos to their own or others' boards (i.e. a collection of 'pins,' usually with a common theme) and browsing what other users have pinned.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »

I can conceive of getting inspiration from pinterest, but I'm not convinced that it is a great medium for learning.

https://www.infront.com/blog/the-blog/what-is-pinterest-and-how-does-it-work

Pinterest is a social network that allows users to visually share, and discover new interests by posting (known as 'pinning') images or videos to their own or others' boards (i.e. a collection of 'pins,' usually with a common theme) and browsing what other users have pinned.

Seems like a good way to torture criminals into confessing crimes.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I make a ham feast every Christmas.

Typically, the sides I do are:
    Baked beans
    Au Gratin potatoes and/or roasted sweet potatoes
    Green beans
    Dinner rolls
    Green salad

It's a super easy dinner for a group.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I grew up in a house of 7. My mother cooked every meal we ever ate in our lives. We never went out to eat. So, I'll share some other ideas on meals as well.
    As far as the ham I'd add green beans and rolls, maybe corn.
    Weekly ideas:
    spaghetti with garlic bread and salad
    ham, turkey or large chicken with baked beans, broccoli and roasted potatoes
    pork chops, rice and beans
    tacos/fajitas/burritos- any variety
    salmon patties (canned salmon) with fried taters
    roast with onions, potatoes (cooked in crock pot) and green beans
    chicken and rice in crock pot with rolls and something green
    one dish meals- like sloppy joes, turkey biryani, chicken verde, SOUPS
  • violetgipson79
    violetgipson79 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Let us know what you decided and how it went!