Grad Students!

Options
So, today is my first day of class! (I am a 2nd year master's student). Last summer, I lost 20 pounds, this summer I lost an additional 20 pounds....unfortunately the semester keeps me busy and I am afraid I will gain the weight I lost back! Last year I only gained 8 pounds of the 20 I had lost (Thank goodness!). But this year, I want to keep up with my good habits and not gain ANYTHING back! I worked so hard to get it all off! I am looking for some grad students to motivate/keep me motivated!!

Replies

• CrazyAdventure
    CrazyAdventure Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    My orientation started yesterday and I am soooo worried about the same thing! Add me if you like! Hopefully we can keep each other motivated even through all the craziness!
  • skylar1907
    skylar1907 Posts: 156
    Options
    2nd year masters student who starts classes again in 3 weeks. graduating in June and hoping to be done with the major overhaul (ie at goal build/weight/BF%) by graduation. started this journey beginning of spring quarter last year and lost 40lbs so far... want to lose another 30-40. glad to help you if you're serious about kicking each other's butts and being healthy...
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm a PhD candidate, so I completely understand your situation! I actually gained about 20 pounds the year I did my MA (it was a one year program). I lost the weight pretty quickly the following summer (mostly by working out), but then fell back into my old ways once I started my PhD course work and again during comps. What I have found helpful is forcing myself to go to the gym first thing in the morning. I know it's hard if you have early classes (I teach in the afternoons during the school year, but I prefer to write in the mornings, so sometimes it's hard). That way though, I can't tell myself later on in the day that I need to finish up whatever I'm working on before I can go to the gym. Anyway, that's been my biggest problem. Feel free to add me if you want!
  • Charlotte012
    Charlotte012 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I feel you! I also gained some weight in my first year of master, but then I forced myself to include workouts in my routine. It helps me to concentrate at some point, but not if I workout too much... then I just become dizzy. Now I'm in my first year of PhD, in a new school, a new town... a new country! And I'm worried about the outcomes but I know my health has to be my first priority, right after my study. It's not always easy in the end of therms.. Anyways, feel free to add me (and any other graduate student reading this post!)
  • daram05
    daram05 Posts: 80
    Options
    Hey Soontobemrswhit!

I'm a grad student in my last quarter of classes (TYJ!!!) and I am not sure if you are on a physical campus or completing an online course program, but the following should still apply.

As we tend to cram in the wee hours of the morning, don't reach for chips or a few oreos....grad some trail mix, a granola bar or some good old trusty nuts. All curve that sweet/salty tooth you crave in the middle of the night and they have plenty of protein.

Also, if you are on a campus, where you may be taking evening classes that do not dismiss until 9PM, 10PMish, don't feel overwhelmed if the gym closes at this time and you feel you can not get a work-out in. Most cable companies have an exercise channel that allows you to do various workouts, and some in just 20 minutes! If cable is not something you have, incorporate a 20-30 minute circuit of your own that includes jumping jacks, squats, push-ups and walking in place.

Lastly, take advantage of everyday activities we do, that are considered exercises, but don't feel like it. For instance, taking the steps instead of the elevator, parking farther to get a nice walk into the office, standing every hour to give that body a stretch and maybe evern small exercises at your desk. I know that since I am watching my figure and that I am in school, I use my 15 minute breaks and 30 minutes of my lunch (I have an hour) doing a small pace walk, which kills a lot of calories.

I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck :-)
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I'm on my last semester of classes before I start writing my thesis. Feel free to add me. I know what it's like to try and plan a day of eating/exercising around a schedule that is crazy hectic! :tongue:
  • sweetsapphire85
    Options
    I'm starting my last year today as well! I'm trying to pre package things on a Sunday each week so I can pop them right into my cooler and carry them with me all day if i can. I'm nervous about gaining as well! I couldn't yesterday because we couldn't grocery shop and our power was out all day due to Irene but that will be the plan.

Today i'm bringing celery and peanut butter, a banana, and cheese and peanut butter crackers because prepackaged is all i have in my house for right this second and no time to hit the store and then unpack it at home.

I hope I'm skinny and fit for graduation this year.!