Eating too fast.....Road Runner of Eating...

Options
I eat entirely too fast. I can gobble up my meal without even really enjoying or tasting it. My mom eats like a turtle. Actually so slow its annoying! I want a happy medium. However, even telling myself to slow down................................does nothing.
Give me some tips to slow my eating. The idea of chewing 50 times is not a good idea to me. So give me something better than that.

Replies

• QueenofCaffeine4Life
    Options
    I am trying that. I have no idea why this is so hard. LOL>
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Since I lost out on the chopstick battle...

Bring two plates to the table. One with your food and the other empty. Remove a bite from the food plate and place it on the empty plate before eating it.
  • QueenofCaffeine4Life
    Options
    I like all your suggestions. You wouldn't think it was a big deal. But it really is. I can't stand smacking, crunching, and other noises. When I lived with my parents, gosh 25 years ago, my dad had bad teeth. He smacked and it drove me crazy. So I would gobble my food so I could leave the table. You would think 25 years ago or more I would have retrained myself...NOT!!.

I realized the other day that very seldom do I taste any food after the first bite. I also realized that I ate large bites rather than dainty girly bites. I love apples, carrots, and other crunchy items but when I eat them I have to eat them in a hurry because I can't stand the sound of my own crunching.
    I'm a weirdo...............I KNOW THIS! hahah.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    Another take: Are all meals like this? Or just when you're super hungry? If it's due to being hungry, maybe eat a low cal snack an hour or so before your meal to avoid getting too hungry and wolfing your food down.

If it's every meal, then the other suggestions are stuff I would have come up with as well, lol. Savoring each bite, stopping and assesing how you feel, taking smaller bites, etc.
  • tracybear86
    tracybear86 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Another take: Are all meals like this? Or just when you're super hungry? If it's due to being hungry, maybe eat a low cal snack an hour or so before your meal to avoid getting too hungry and wolfing your food down.
    Good point here! If I wait until I am super hungry to eat, all bets are off! My husband once said I eat like a ravenous hyena when I am really hungry! :p
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I have same problem only my issue is with my good getting cold. My family jokes that making my food "magically" disappear is my super power. :D

But here's a question: does it matter if you eat fast? If you premeasure and log your food then it's still the same number of calories going in so from a weight loss perspective it's same same.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Mindful eating is a learned skill.

I had my chopsticks engraved with the words "be mindful".
  • tracybear86
    tracybear86 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    jelleigh wrote: »
    But here's a question: does it matter if you eat fast? If you premeasure and log your food then it's still the same number of calories going in so from a weight loss perspective it's same same.

For me it's a question of whether my head knows that I am full and also how long before I am hungry again. If I eat 400 calories in 10 minutes my brain most likely won't acknowledge that I am full as for most people I think it can take up to 20 minutes for the brain to catch up to the stomach. If I eat those same 400 calories over an hour my brain will know for sure if I am full. N=1 for me is that I also don't feel hungry again as soon so I don't snack between meals or feel overly hungry by my next meal (which leads me to overeat). So overall I have an easier time sticking to a calorie deficit when I eat more slowly.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Practice mindful eating. It sounds stupid but I’ve heard of people making themselves slow feeder bowls like dogs have and apparently it worked and it’s fun.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I scarf my food down, think it’s a carryover from mom saying “you can’t leave until you finish” and I wanted to be doing other things. I REALLY try to sit quietly, no distractions, and pay attention. But that fails 99% of the time.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    I'm a proud fast eater. Think it's hard to change behavior unless using electric shock method. Eating fast, I believe, can lead to overeating because the gut isn't given the time to tell the brain it's full. I achieved my ideal weight range will still eating fast but I did close the mouth before exceeding my calories to eat budget.