I thought I was taller.

Has anyone else randomly found out they are shorter than they thought? I have always thought I was 5'5", but today I found out I am 5' 3.75". This means that I was initially more overweight than I thought, and I can actually lose a couple extra pounds and still be healthy. A healthy weight for my height is 107 lbs - 144 lbs (for 5'5" it is 112 to 115 lbs).

For over the past decade I thought I was taller than I am. Anyone else experience something similar?

Replies

• Pricklypineapple422
    Pricklypineapple422 Posts: 52 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Has anyone else randomly found out they are shorter than they thought? I have always thought I was 5'5", but today I found out I am 5' 3.75". This means that I was initially more overweight than I thought, and I can actually lose a couple extra pounds and still be healthy. A healthy weight for my height is 107 lbs - 144 lbs (for 5'5" it is 112 to 115 lbs).

For over the past decade I thought I was taller than I am. Anyone else experience something similar?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

There may, possibly, just maybe, be an old thread around here about me discovering I am not, in fact, 5'4. Or even really close to it. I was not impressed :laugh:

Once the shock wears off and the short jokes taper off it's not all that bad ;)

Lol I'm definitely still in the shocked stage. And it's humorous because I started receiving "you're too skinny" comments right when I got to the "healthy" weight range, but really I was still overweight lol. I'll be looking up your post!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Mine was the opposite. A health screening had me at 5'6, a couple of months later the doctor's office measured me at 5'5. I have been 5'4 since I was 10. Even my mother was in shock.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    When I was in my 30s I discovered I was a half-inch taller than I thought. I hadn't had my height measured since I thought I had stopped growing in high school (I had hit 5'3" by junior high, and 5'3 1/2" by high school and when that held steady for a year or so, I figured I was done). So it goes both ways.
  • Pricklypineapple422
    Pricklypineapple422 Posts: 52 Member
    Your spine compresses as you get older.

For me years of pack marching and running and running with weight saw me lose 2 cm.

I'm 27 years old, I hope I'm not shrinking too much yet!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    edited August 2019
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    Mines reversed...I measured as 5 ft 4 after always being just short of 5 ft 3. It occured to me it may have been my 110lb weight loss depressuring my spine a bit. Win :p

I was at my heaviest when I was measured as taller!

I did almost ask for a recount at my last visit because it feels like the yoga has stretched my spine... Plus, an extra inch would have meant that I was no longer obese.
  • hmhill17
    hmhill17 Posts: 283 Member
    This made me go measure myself. I came out at my expected height. Possible I did it wrong, but since I put myself in as an inch shorter than that anyway, I’m good.
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    I had two different nurses at two different doctor's offices tell me I was 5'7 1/2" when I always thought I was 5'8".
    I said to both at the time "so basically 5'8 " and they both said emphatically no. I think five foot seven and a half inches is literally the most awkward and monotonous height to be.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    Mines reversed...I measured as 5 ft 4 after always being just short of 5 ft 3. It occured to me it may have been my 110lb weight loss depressuring my spine a bit. Win :p

I was at my heaviest when I was measured as taller!

I did almost ask for a recount at my last visit because it feels like the yoga has stretched my spine... Plus, an extra inch would have meant that I was no longer obese.

I'm not sure when I reached my adult height of 5'6.5", but it was before I turned 18. In at least 35 years, I haven't lost any height. Perhaps it is the yoga, perhaps it is because I have not yet gone through menopause with acceleration of bone loss.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    I had always thought I was 5’7” in my 20s but when I was first pregnant with my son the doctor confirmed that I was in fact 5’8”...of course by the end of my pregnancy I was back down to 5’7.5” which is my current height. My arches completely collapsed leaving me flat footed and making me a little shorter.

I think posture and bone density changes over time affect our height give or take up to an inch.
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    edited August 2019
    You get shorter as the day wears on - try measuring yourself again first thing in the morning! I had the opposite, always thought I was 161 cm, turns out I'm 163 cm woop woop!
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    I feel like everyone is shorter than they think. Have you ever seen the listed heights for actors or athletes? Chop 2 to 3 inches off their listed height and maybe you get an accurate reflection of reality.

I go by 5'11, although I'm probably legitimately around 5' 10.5". I tend to be taller than most " 5'11" guys I know because they are legitimately like 5'9". I've considered telling people I'm 6 feet and feel like I could get away with it, but it doesn't quite feel right to me.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Sometimes my doctor’s office rounds up to 5’.

I once had a nurse tell me I was very good and standing up straight and stretching really tall. Gotta earn every one of my 60 inches.