Back again

Options
I have lost and gained weight my entire life. I really need for my health to lose it and keep it off this time. I have approximately 120 pounds to lose and the amount is overwhelming. I started introducing very small changes the past two days, including simply tracking my food and walking daily for 20 to 30 minutes.
I keep seeing people talk on and on about KETO and Vegetarian and Vegan and all the other healthy ways to lose weight. Years ago I got to my goal weight on Weight Watchers by the simple calorie in calorie out theory, Carbs and Fat be damned (kind of). And it does work.
I really could use some advice on ways to lose the weight and not lose focus. I could also use some friends in my area to support me, so St. Louis folks, let me know you're out there and with me :)

Replies

• J_NY_Z
    J_NY_Z Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    "I started introducing very small changes the past two days, including simply tracking my food and walking daily for 20 to 30 minutes."

This is a fantastic start. If you stick to that and adjust as necessary you will be surprised how well it works. MFP is a good resource. Welcome.
  • gscruiser
    gscruiser Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Good luck in your journey
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Welcome to the community! <3

If you haven't already, read the stickies at the top of the getting started forum. Very informative and helpful.

Eat the foods you love. It doesn't require a trendy name. Stay in a calorie deficit and lose weight. Be sure to weigh your foods on a scale.

The only thing you need to remember, as a former WW'er, is that there is no such thing as a free food.

Good luck with your journey!
  • Lynnew83
    Lynnew83 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Being vegan isn't a diet. There are crazy amounts of vegan junk food. Maybe you mean whole food plant based. That would help you lose weight. Good luck however you decide to lose it.
  • aracely2224
    aracely2224 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Welcome! MFP has helped me achieve my goals with the calorie count. You can do it! 🌺
  • jagrag2
    jagrag2 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Lynnew83 wrote: »
    Being vegan isn't a diet. There are crazy amounts of vegan junk food. Maybe you mean whole food plant based. That would help you lose weight. Good luck however you decide to lose it.

I know what you mean, I know being Vegan is not a diet in an of itself, but many friends have sworn that swearing off meat and animal products has assisted them in feeling healthier and introduced them to more veggies in their diet. I was looking more for advice if those types of things have helped anyone with their overall health. Thank you for your response and encouragement!
  • jagrag2
    Options
    J_NY_Z wrote: »
    "I started introducing very small changes the past two days, including simply tracking my food and walking daily for 20 to 30 minutes."

This is a fantastic start. If you stick to that and adjust as necessary you will be surprised how well it works. MFP is a good resource. Welcome.

Thank you for the warm welcome!
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I switched to plant based with seafood, eggs and some dairy. I've noticed my skin is much softer. I also had recent bloodwork and the results came back in normal range. I don't get as many headaches either. 👍
  • karl05_
    karl05_ Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hi , good luck on your journey , I'm starting again on here too
  • dulinh
    dulinh Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I've been transitioning to a vegan diet over the past 6 weeks or so as I've struggled with some stomach issues. I have other personal reasons that made this diet shift a good choice for me too. I'm not quite there yet - I have a real yogurt habit that I'm pretty close to kicking - but I'm making amazing progress with my stomach issues so giving up most animal products has been worth it to me. It isn't easy.

I think there may be some truth to what your friends have already mentioned for some people. There have been many days that I have struggled to eat enough calories because I am feeling so full. I inadvertently lost 3 pounds even though I am not trying to lose any weight. I use a weight trend app so this is legitimate weight loss not fluctuations. Some people find fiber very filling, my body seems to think so but that won't be true for everyone. I went from apx 20-25g fiber/day to 40-50g fiber/day (don't try that overnight!) on 2000 cal/day.

Removing animal products (meat, dairy, eggs) leaves lots of room for veggies and whole grains (fiber). As someone else mentioned, there is all kinds of vegan 'crap' food out there too. Heck, I'm planning a vegan brownie for snack today and I had one for dessert last night.

At the end of the day weight loss is all about eating less than you are burning, regardless of what types of food you are eating. I lost the weight I wanted to eating an omnivore diet so, sadly, no magic happening here.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    jagrag2 wrote: »
    I have lost and gained weight my entire life. I really need for my health to lose it and keep it off this time. I have approximately 120 pounds to lose and the amount is overwhelming. I started introducing very small changes the past two days, including simply tracking my food and walking daily for 20 to 30 minutes.
    I keep seeing people talk on and on about KETO and Vegetarian and Vegan and all the other healthy ways to lose weight. Years ago I got to my goal weight on Weight Watchers by the simple calorie in calorie out theory, Carbs and Fat be damned (kind of). And it does work.
    I really could use some advice on ways to lose the weight and not lose focus. I could also use some friends in my area to support me, so St. Louis folks, let me know you're out there and with me :)

You're on the right track with the bolded. In my mind there are two basic keys to staying on track:
    1. Make the track super easy to stay on. No unnecessary rules. No forcing dietary changes you simply don't like.
    2. Understand that no one actually stays on track all the time, and when you fall off just shrug your shoulders and get right back on.

Make logging a habit. Log everything all the time, even if it doesn't seem necessary. Now that I'm in maintenance, I still log because it became such an ingrained habit that it requires very little thought or time. And that one simple habit keeps me mindful of my eating - not obsessed, not worried, not stressed - just aware and mindful.

I also find pre-logging really helps. I plan out my day, tweak serving sizes in my diary to make my numbers look good, leave room for a snack. But even if you just log stuff right before you eat it, you see it in black & white, and sometimes just that can flip the switch and realize that snack you HAVE TO HAVE isn't really worth the numbers you see in that diary.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Good luck!
  • jagrag2
    Options
    dulinh wrote: »
    I've been transitioning to a vegan diet over the past 6 weeks or so as I've struggled with some stomach issues. I have other personal reasons that made this diet shift a good choice for me too. I'm not quite there yet - I have a real yogurt habit that I'm pretty close to kicking - but I'm making amazing progress with my stomach issues so giving up most animal products has been worth it to me. It isn't easy.

I think there may be some truth to what your friends have already mentioned for some people. There have been many days that I have struggled to eat enough calories because I am feeling so full. I inadvertently lost 3 pounds even though I am not trying to lose any weight. I use a weight trend app so this is legitimate weight loss not fluctuations. Some people find fiber very filling, my body seems to think so but that won't be true for everyone. I went from apx 20-25g fiber/day to 40-50g fiber/day (don't try that overnight!) on 2000 cal/day.

Removing animal products (meat, dairy, eggs) leaves lots of room for veggies and whole grains (fiber). As someone else mentioned, there is all kinds of vegan 'crap' food out there too. Heck, I'm planning a vegan brownie for snack today and I had one for dessert last night.

At the end of the day weight loss is all about eating less than you are burning, regardless of what types of food you are eating. I lost the weight I wanted to eating an omnivore diet so, sadly, no magic happening here.

Thank you for the insight!! I have started with a vegetarian - not vegan this past week - some fish. I have a lot of weight to lose and i figured more vegetables and less red meat can only help. I look up to you for the weight loss :)
  • jagrag2
    Options
    karl05_ wrote: »
    Hi , good luck on your journey , I'm starting again on here too

Thank you !! You too! I'm going to add you as a friend, I can help with accountability.
  • jagrag2
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    jagrag2 wrote: »

You're on the right track with the bolded. In my mind there are two basic keys to staying on track:
    1. Make the track super easy to stay on. No unnecessary rules. No forcing dietary changes you simply don't like.
    2. Understand that no one actually stays on track all the time, and when you fall off just shrug your shoulders and get right back on.

Make logging a habit. Log everything all the time, even if it doesn't seem necessary. Now that I'm in maintenance, I still log because it became such an ingrained habit that it requires very little thought or time. And that one simple habit keeps me mindful of my eating - not obsessed, not worried, not stressed - just aware and mindful.

I also find pre-logging really helps. I plan out my day, tweak serving sizes in my diary to make my numbers look good, leave room for a snack. But even if you just log stuff right before you eat it, you see it in black & white, and sometimes just that can flip the switch and realize that snack you HAVE TO HAVE isn't really worth the numbers you see in that diary.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Good luck!

thank you so much for your advise. You really have no idea how much all of you can help someone who is feeling hopeless - especially advice from someone who has gotten to goal weight!