Which mileage app do you use

Options
This morning I had three apps going at once, Nike, MapMyRun, and RunKeeper. I got 3 different run times, 3 calorie counts, and 3 different distances. I know Nike pauses automagically if I stop, haven’t checked the other 2.
Which apps have you tried and which seems to be the most accurate?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    Strava
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Garmin.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Garmin.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Garmin
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I use Map My Run to map my runs (ha ha) and my Garmin Forerunner to track my actual runs and monitor my miles.
    BTW, how far off are your three systems in the miles run?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Do you have all the apps set up the same with your ht wt stats etc?
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    garmin
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    If you want an app that you'll be using while you work out, Strava. If you want a device, Garmin.
  • hmhill17
    hmhill17 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    All of them have the same height and weight numbers. All started within a span of 3 seconds. Mileage is within a 10th of a mile. Times are 40 seconds different. Calorie counts differ by about 30 and I always use a lower number than the apps give me. It's mostly just academic/curiosity/OCD at this point.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i personally don't think it matters -just pick one and stick with it - every device has some error rate - so its more about the consistency
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    hmhill17 wrote: »
    All of them have the same height and weight numbers. All started within a span of 3 seconds. Mileage is within a 10th of a mile. Times are 40 seconds different. Calorie counts differ by about 30 and I always use a lower number than the apps give me. It's mostly just academic/curiosity/OCD at this point.

Can't imagine why time would be so far off, unless one program stops when you are not moving. My Garmin reports this separately, total time/moving time. Mileage is probably just inaccuracies in the device, which is why I get a different distance for the same route. Calories are pretty much guesswork from any device or program. The mileage and calorie differences are pretty minor.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Garmin.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I have a garmin 735xt that then automatically uploads to strava. Appears to be pretty much on point with what I've plotted out on mapmyrun create before I start
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    App = Strava
    Device = Garmin Edge for cycling.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    My Garmin bike computer
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I use runkeeper because of the audio prompts and the live tracking is considerably more reliable than the LiveTrack on my expensive Garmin.
  • hmhill17
    hmhill17 Posts: 283 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    Can't imagine why time would be so far off, unless one program stops when you are not moving. My Garmin reports this separately, total time/moving time. Mileage is probably just inaccuracies in the device, which is why I get a different distance for the same route. Calories are pretty much guesswork from any device or program. The mileage and calorie differences are pretty minor.

I did discover the other two apps do have an automatic pause function so I turned that on. I had to stop and retie a lose shoe and pace at 4 intersections, so that might have impacted time.

Like I said, just my personal OCD.
  • kirstymn
    kirstymn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Garmin which is linked to Strava
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    For a phone app (if I didn't have a Garmin), I would go with Strava (but mostly because segment alerts would be nice and it's the app I mostly check for data afterward). Apps usually give you some choice of whether to auto-pause int he settings (or will report all of elapsed time, activity time, moving time).

Like the majority of those above, I use my Garmin, and Strava, ridewithgps, etc auto-pull the data from the Garmin server as soon as my phone sends the info over from my watch.

My personal preference for Strava (and probably most who use it) is based on the social/group aspects (rather than increased accuracy or anything like that).
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    hmhill17 wrote: »

I would say that is definitely from differences in the auto-pause settings. Some apps also default to displaying "Moving Time". If memory serves, for my Garmin watch, you actually specify a threshold speed at which it will assume you are stopped and auto-pause if enabled. 1 app may not auto-pause, and another may trigger quicker than the other one that auto-pauses.