Storm prep... Non perishable only

Options
helpers1
helpers1 Posts: 98 Member
edited August 2019 in Food and Nutrition
As our state prepares for a hurricane, I'm reminded of how we've stocked up on horrible food choices in the past to prepare for up to a week with no electricity (no fridge or freezer) or running water.

What are everyone's ideas, other than meal replacement bars? My doc has me on 1200 cal/day.

Would have access to camping style tabletop burner.

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Jerky. Canned goods. Packaged dry foods. Beans, rice, grains, oatmeal. Cooler with ice could keep some perishables, at least for a couple of days.
    Hope it will miss you like it did Puerto Rico.
    Stay safe.
  • helpers1
    Options
    Thanks @missysippy930 I would not have thought of the jerky! And the other ideas on the camp stove are great too...I do love carbs. Lol!
    We are on the gulf side of the track, so we shouldn't have the winds, but flooding here is already a problem we haven't recovered from yet from 2 weeks ago. My prayers are with all our friends on the Atlantic coast
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    helpers1 wrote: »
    Thanks @missysippy930 I would not have thought of the jerky! And the other ideas on the camp stove are great too...I do love carbs. Lol!
    We are on the gulf side of the track, so we shouldn't have the winds, but flooding here is already a problem we haven't recovered from yet from 2 weeks ago. My prayers are with all our friends on the Atlantic coast

I'm in Lake Wales - East and South of you - I have canned food - chilli - tuna fish etc - fresh fruit -You have a reprieve from your diet for a few days
    I also have a generator so I can run the refridge & freezer. I looks like we will get wacked - or maybe it will go more north
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Everyone living in areas that are frequented by storms should have authentic military MRE's on hand. They are usually about 2000 calories per container and for a person sheltering in place. This is maybe two days per. Certainly one day each.
  • helpers1
    Options
    Well, if the electricity runs out, I'll def be sweating off the extra calories 😂
  • skelterhelter
    skelterhelter Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    Tuna packets :)
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Oatcakes, peanut butter, tinned soup/stew
  • helpers1
    Options
    @skelterhelter hey.... Canned chicken! I honestly abhor tuna.... But great idea for my husband!

@littlegreenparrot1 Oooooh peanut butter on my fav popcorn cakes!

Y'all have my creative juices finally moving! Thanks so much! 👍
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    I think natural disasters qualify as grounds for a temporary diet break.

yes this. If you have no power, calorie goals shouldn't be at the top of the worry list.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Ideas from my backpacking trips...

Flour tortillas...you can roll them up with peanut butter or salami and cheese. Hard cheeses can stand to go unrefrigerated for at least a few days.

For the canned chicken/tuna...eating these on their own would be kind of bland. I would make some mac and cheese or rice pilaf on your camp stove and mix it in.

Instant oatmeal...you can get some nuts/dried fruit/spices to mix in.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Other thoughts, we can get packets of pre made curries easily, things like tarka dhal, chana dhal ( lentil and chickpea curry) which are very tasty.

Noodles/ cous cous, anything that just needs hot water.

Don't forget the stuff that is good for the soul, biscuits, boiled sweets. I would need the odd great in those circumstances.
    Fingers crossed for you.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Canned salmon, tuna, crab meat.

Fresh potatoes, apples, pears, bread, avocado, carrots, nut butter.

Canned veggies and beans.

Let us know how you make out, please. We'll be thinking of you.
  • floofyschmoofer
    floofyschmoofer Posts: 209 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I'm in GA on the coast-- We shopped for this last night.

I'll just list what we bought in case it helps.

Bread (2 loaves, 1 to freeze to keep freshness as long as possible), peanut butter, canned veggies, soups, Vienna sausage, tuna. Jerky, whisps cheese snacks, applesauce cups. We bought some shelf stable milk as well. Potatoes and onions do fine on the counter top. Avocados and bananas, too. We bought several packs of the Ready Rice and canned beans to conserve water in the event of an actual emergency.

If we lose power, any meat in the freezer gets cooked on the camp stove ASAP.

Swiped some condiment packets from my GrubHub gig months ago over time so those will come in handy.

We also bought an epic ton of water, plus extra dog food and dog snacks.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    helpers1 wrote: »
    As our state prepares for a hurricane, I'm reminded of how we've stocked up on horrible food choices in the past to prepare for up to a week with no electricity (no fridge or freezer) or running water.

What are everyone's ideas, other than meal replacement bars? My doc has me on 1200 cal/day.

Would have access to camping style tabletop burner.

In addition to the great ideas already mentioned:
    • Lots of fuel for the camp stove
    • Batteries
    • A big cooler
    • Lot of ice in the freezer
    • Drinking water
    • Water for flushing the toilet (fill up the bathtub)

It's probably too late to get this from Amazon in time for your storm, but I have a battery or crank radio/flashlight that can be used as a charger for devices that can charge via USB (not this exact model, but same idea): https://smile.amazon.com/Upgraded-Esky-Portable-Emergency-Flashlight/dp/B018I4BPNU/

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    are you not native to hurricane land?

a grill and/or camp stove will be your BFF, aside from coolers and plenty of ice (and depending on how hard hit it may be hard tome come by or get to, even).

We keep on hand:

extra propane tank- always
    Extra charcoal if you have a charcoal grill
    canned meats - chicken, tuna, even spam (barf)
    canned fruit and veg
    canned soups of all varieties- think about it, meat and veg and carb in one can.
    peanut butter
    crackers
    protein bars
    beer
    toilet paper
    enough batteries to power all of NASA
    many many many cases of bottled water
    many many buckets of water for toilets and dishes (we have a well so if we lose power, we lose water). ahead of a known storm we will fill bathtubs but we keep it on hand always just in case (and beleive me, there have been many cases of 'just in case' !)
    Battery banks for phones
    Fuel up vehicles and move them to safe spot before storm hits (for us its the backyard and even then a tree could reach it it fell right). If you dont have a charger in your car for phones, get one.
    Cash (atms or card machines in stores may not work if you can get to them)
    I keep all our important documents (insurance, birth certificates, passports, my husbands immigration stuff) in a waterproof bag in my purse/bag ahead of a storm
    Photos on a flash drive (both personal and for insurance)
    Dog and cat food stocked well before hand
    (if applicable) get refills of your meds and keep them in a safe spot that you wouldnt forget if you had to evacuate in a hurry (ie purse)

Theres probably more (and way more storm prep than you asked for) but thats what came to the top of my mind LOL

and dont forget a can OPENER if you usually/only have an electric one lol

i also would not worry about staying in a deficit in situations like this
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky here in CT. The worst thing that can happen is a blackout or being snowed in. I keep a few fondue pots and cans of sterno for that.
  • helpers1
    Options
    Sorry if I wasn't clear.... I've been through many-a storms and know how to prep for them . But I need to keep my eating under control... I know I will use any excuse I can to break my will to stay at 1200/day.

I was just looking for non - perishable suggestions. Sorry I apparently misled many!
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    We worry and we get overenthusiastic sometimes. Please let us know how you come through this.