Personal safety when hiking alone

Options
So I’m a female who loves hiking alone. I tend to hike in pretty remote areas where there’s either no one or one or two cars in the lot. After a creepy incident I have started photographing the cars and plates then sending them to a designated ‘safety friend’ before going any further. I also no longer hike where I cannot get service and have recently taken up self-defence classes.

What do you find yourself doing? Am I overreacting?

Replies

• Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Guns are almost impossible to get here unless you go through all kinds of courses and assessments. I sometimes take my dog but he’s so friendly and not intimidating lol
  • Hannahwalksfar
    edited August 2019
    Options
    That’s fabulous. Didn’t think of pepper spray thanks
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Options
    Never mind. It’s illegal here.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Options
    oxxh9ihncerp.png
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Options
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    @Hannahwalksfar

I used to hike/walk for miles every day but I had a dog. Even then, there came a time when it just wasn't wise to go alone. There are millions and millions of tourists who wander through my neck of the woods and some of them are on the 'loose' if you know what I mean. They are literally on the run. There's those kind of predators along with the big wild kind and they're expanding their territory, moving right in amongst the people. I don't even empty my trash when it's dark outside like I used to because I might run into one of them.

As my father says, it's not a matter of if but a matter of when. So I stopped going alone. Your life is valuable and I know theres all kinds of sporty gurus who advocate for women to go hiking alone, it's all this and that. If you have that unction not go alone, then don't do it. Listen to yourself.

Yes, a few times I’ve just gone home or changed my walk location due to shifty looking characters. I just have no one to walk with and love adventuring so much. It’s tough.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Truthfully, I would choose to hike in less remote areas, or go with a friend.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Options
    I’m currently studying Muay Thai.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Options
    Definitely the truth. The run like hell
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    @Danp Correct. Here, everyone is packing heat. You don't need a conceal permit, it's legal. Sprays of any kind are no match for that and more than one person.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Options
    Soon I’ll be back living on millions of acres and will have all the space in the world. Will just have to watch out for wild dogs and snakes but for now I’m limited with my options. I guess I’ve always lived very rurally and have always felt safe on my walks but the world is changing it seems.