Personal safety when hiking alone

Replies

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    edited August 2019
    Double post grhhhh
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Well I have been bitten by a snake before so Im not taking my chance with being alone in a remote area and unprepared. I think it depends on the remote area though. Around here we have recently had a massive hike in meth and crime so it’s suddenly not as safe. Where I will be shortly it’s pretty much wild dogs, snakes, wild camels, feral pigs and cattle that pose the biggest risk. And the heat.
  • Lillymoo01
    Well I have been bitten by a snake before so Im not taking my chance with being alone in a remote area and unprepared. I think it depends on the remote area though. Around here we have recently had a massive hike in meth and crime so it’s suddenly not as safe. Where I will be shortly it’s pretty much wild dogs, snakes, wild camels, feral pigs and cattle that pose the biggest risk. And the heat.

I am a wee bit jealous. I'd like nothing more than to get away from it all for a while. Which state do you live in? I am in South Australia.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    I’m currently in NSW but live in The Pilbara
  • Lillymoo01
    I'd love to visit the Pilbara and Kimberly regions. My husband much of his youth in Carnarvon.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    I'd love to visit the Pilbara and Kimberly regions. My husband much of his youth in Carnarvon.

It’s a beautiful and unique spot. Definitely visit when you can
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    Does Australia have some kind of organisation (like the Ramblers Association here in the UK) that does organised hikes, or through which you could meet other people who also like walking?
  • Hannahwalksfar
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    Does Australia have some kind of organisation (like the Ramblers Association here in the UK) that does organised hikes, or through which you could meet other people who also like walking?
    Not in rural areas and not every day. I legit hike 6 days a week. No one has the time but I’m off work for a month so can go for hours every day. Plus I love hiking alone.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    You might want to talk to the local police to see what they recommend. You might get useless advice like "hike where it's more populated," but there's also a chance that they'll have good suggestions. And they'll know what's legal and what's not, of course. And it can't hurt to have them be aware that you're out hiking 6 days a week.
    Yeah I have had this chat recently and got the “you should be pretty safe but just be smart”. Which is fair enough as it’s rural and still in phone service where I hike.
  • HilTri
    HilTri Posts: 378 Member
    I take my dog and a big knife. I text someone and tell them where I am going and text again when I am out. Nothing better than hiking alone!
  • jnomadica
    jnomadica Posts: 280 Member
    Are any animal sprays legal there? I don’t think there are bears in Australia, but here in the US I carry a giant can of bear spray. It has a reach of over 20 feet. I’m more worried about bears than people, but I believe the spray would be quite effective against any bad guys. And even though the dog I bring hiking isn’t large, I think she’s a detterent.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    No sprays are legal
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Good idea!
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    I would always take the dog even if it was a friendly dog...I'm sure if a situation escalated, most dogs would become defensive of owner...and strangers don't know your dog and may be avoidant of any dog. I'd probably consider getting a second, intimidating looking dog. Your dog might like a friend.