2»

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Bean salad

Nuts

Freeze dried veggies

Precook rice or quinoa, they keep well and are good room temp.

Turkey sticks

Canned fish and/or meats

Canned vegetables like green beans, beets and spinach can be quite edible at room temp, as well.

I bet hummus would keep.

Apples and oranges keep well.

Broccoli and cauliflower keep pretty well, as do tomatoes.

Sudoku puzzles or something else to keep you from eating from boredom!
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I don't usually bump my own comments (above), but MRE's are the only sensible choice. No one knows when a power loss and access to fuel and food will occur. That is why preppers choose MRE's. They are stable for years, provide variety and are self contained. You don't need a frig or a stove. Stored in a cool basement they will last a decade. And, I like them.

Just look at all the stuff that comes in the MRE packet (which is, incidentally almost indestructible).

https://www.mreinfo.com/mres/mre-menus/mre-menus-2019/
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    helpers1 wrote: »
    Sorry if I wasn't clear.... I've been through many-a storms and know how to prep for them . But I need to keep my eating under control... I know I will use any excuse I can to break my will to stay at 1200/day.

I was just looking for non - perishable suggestions. Sorry I apparently misled many!

Your thread gave me a flashback to when I lived in South Florida during the 2005 hurricane season and was without power and water for a week ;)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    helpers1 wrote: »
    Sorry if I wasn't clear.... I've been through many-a storms and know how to prep for them . But I need to keep my eating under control... I know I will use any excuse I can to break my will to stay at 1200/day.

I was just looking for non - perishable suggestions. Sorry I apparently misled many!

My staples for either camping or emergencies include canned chicken, peanut butter, low sodium soups and stews (to get some veggies in). I have a regular camp stove and a single burner backpacking stove but I can't use them indoors. I live in Wisconsin so our emergencies are usually snow and/or ice related so cooking outdoors is not practical. Decent fruit and veggies are hard to come by in non-perishables but I have found that green beans aren't too gross and a can of sauerkraut can make any meal better. Canned fruit in juice rather than syrup isn't too bad.

One thing I try to avoid are the freeze dried backpacker meals. They are so salty I cannot eat them, they hurt my mouth.
  • itsme4444
    itsme4444 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, avocados , etc will do okay on the counter and are all yummy raw! Cup a soups (Lipton packets) are around 50 cal and a filling snack.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Some veggies can do well without fridge, cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, beets, peppers etc. for a few days. You can make slaws with broccoli and cabbage, i plan to chop them into big veggie salads. I make dressing for it from couple of different kinds of mustards, apple cider vinegar and red wine vinegar. Plus spices to taste. Potatoes and tomatoes, avocado, apples don't need refrigerator. And then all the the above mentioned canned food. I like canned sardines, oysters are ok too, salmon, chicken, tuna. Sardines you can find in various sauses, so some options here. Hard boiled eggs are easy to keep in a cooler with ice.