Not many calories in maintenance!!

So, this morning I have adjusted my settings to maintenance and the adjusted calorie target is only 1560. This is not much more than I had when I was losing weight. It’s not a problem- i just wanted to moan that I assumed it would be more!

Replies

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    edited August 2019
    Well done on reaching your goal weight!

If you were losing on average 1/2 pound a week towards the end you will only get an extra 250 calories for maintenance which isn't really much more than a snack really.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,958 Member
    If I actually had to eat only the amount of calories I am supposed to to maintain my weight, I'd soon give up tracking and go back to being fat. Fortunately, my TDEE is a bit higher than normal for my age (1600 vs. 1400, approximately) and I do a lot of exercise so ATM I can eat more than 2200 a day and still maintain.

This!
  • snuff15ee
    snuff15ee Posts: 99 Member
    At 42 years old, 6'4, and 180 lbs I've managed to get my maintenance up to around 3000-3100 calories a day. I go high intensity in the gym 5 days a week and I road/mountain bike about 100 miles a month. I was around 2400 when I was cutting.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    edited September 2019
    With my stats, when I select "Maintain Current Weight", MFP instructs me to eat 1200 calories and tells me I'll be GAINING! (I also inflated my exercise in the previous scenario to try and get something more hopeful.) It's quite discouraging since I'm still trying to lose. :/

Edited to say I'm nowhere near the low end of a healthy range for my height although I'm at a "good" place.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Oh, I feel your pain. I actually fell into maintenance by just not losing anymore. So actually I didn't get any extra calories at all in maintenance! But I have to say that I don't ever want that 100 lbs. back so I'll suck it up and live with it. Hang in there. At least as a runner you can earn alot more calories than I do as a walker, lol. The upside to walking I guess is it takes me so long that I have less time to eat. ;)

You and me, too. :/ I gained ten pounds on "maintenance" before I realized what was happening. At least we have the method down now...
  • Where’s that helpful thread about Increasing NEAT? I don’t know how to link it. But if you can up your NEAT then you can eat a little more. Or eat the same and lose a little. Depending on your goals
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,002 Member
    Mine is 1600 😩
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited September 2019
    Mine is 1560 and I’m thrilled, actually. I was at 1300 to lose and MFP set me at 1450 for maintenance. So I get 110 more thN that PLUS exercise calories. My maintenance might be a bit higher, I am new to maintenance and still tracking and adjusting.
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    Being small and old my BMR is only about 1000 per day ( :'( ). So I have to keep my NEAT up or I would just be the most miserable person on earth! I walk a fair amount, and try not to sit down too much (despite loving reading).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    If you're losing .5 - 1 Lb per week, the difference between maintenance and losing would be 250-500 calories. A snack or two basically. I increased my TDEE by move more in general and doing more purposeful exercise. MFP gives me 2300ish calories to maintain...in reality I eat around 2800-3000 with exercise and doing little things to increase my NEAT.