Do I need a day off?

Hi everyone,

I've been building up my swimming from 30 lengths to 40 in 30 mins to 40 in 20 mins over the last month. I'm loving it. I feel so much stronger. I get grumpy if I can't get to the pool and have to miss a day. I joined the gym so I had much better access to a pool at hours convenient to me. It's as much about my mental health as it is my physical journey. It doesn't even feel like exercise - it's the only form of movement I don't dread on some level. So far, so good.

Last night and this morning, my upper back and shoulders ache and feel stiff. I don't think I've missed a swim day in about a week now. Am I overdoing it? Do my muscles need a rest day to heal? Will another swim today cause then damage? How about a leisurely swim, followed by a good soak in the jacuzzi and a spell in the steam room? On that note, what *are* the benefits of a steam room? Besides clearing out the nasal passages :)

Thanks for reading, would greatly appreciate any advice as I'm new to this exercise lark!

Replies

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Nothing bad will happen if you take a (or two) day off.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    I feel the same way as you about exercise and I go to the gym 7 days a week when I can (which is most of the time). During August I only missed 3 days - and 2 of those were because of travelling, otherwise I would have gone. One was because I was feeling peculiarly tired so I took the day off. Basically, as the poster above said, listen to your body. Although I go to the gym almost every day I do different things. Sometimes I am really up for high intensity cardio. Sometimes I go heavy on the weights. Sometimes I take it fairly easy and do much more of a stretching/yoga type session.

If I feel stiff from previous exercise I don't exercise those muscles hard the next day, but I absolutely do move them. In your situation I would do exactly as you suggest - leisurely swim and then relaxation. I'm not 100% sure of the steam room benefits but it does make you sweat like crazy which is supposed to be good. Plus you are not subjected to all the chemicals of a jacuzzi. Personally I avoid the jacuzzi but like the steam room.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    SnifterPug wrote: »
    I feel the same way as you about exercise and I go to the gym 7 days a week when I can (which is most of the time). During August I only missed 3 days - and 2 of those were because of travelling, otherwise I would have gone. One was because I was feeling peculiarly tired so I took the day off. Basically, as the poster above said, listen to your body. Although I go to the gym almost every day I do different things. Sometimes I am really up for high intensity cardio. Sometimes I go heavy on the weights. Sometimes I take it fairly easy and do much more of a stretching/yoga type session.

If I feel stiff from previous exercise I don't exercise those muscles hard the next day, but I absolutely do move them. In your situation I would do exactly as you suggest - leisurely swim and then relaxation. I'm not 100% sure of the steam room benefits but it does make you sweat like crazy which is supposed to be good. Plus you are not subjected to all the chemicals of a jacuzzi. Personally I avoid the jacuzzi but like the steam room.

Why is sweating good? I mean outside of its evaporative cooling effect which I'm assuming isn't what you're referring too.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited August 2019
    Do my muscles need a rest day to heal?
    They probably need a recovery day - that could be resting. But recovery doesn't have to mean being inactive and resting though. Doing something different or a much lower intensity version of what hurt you can also help.
    Recovery rides / recovery runs (or walks) are very common amongst frequent exercisers.

Will another swim today cause then damage?
    Unlikely, soreness tends to be self-limiting. But yes there are risks in repetition without recovery, especially when still getting acclimatised to regular/frequent exercise.
    But of course might make your aches worse.

How about a leisurely swim, followed by a good soak in the jacuzzi and a spell in the steam room?
    Sounds very pleasant. Maybe a different swimming stroke or just leg kicks and a float?

On that note, what *are* the benefits of a steam room? Besides clearing out the nasal passages :)
    Relaxation, warming, the chance to get naked with strangers ( optional ;) )

• LeiLaura
    LeiLaura Posts: 238 Member
    Thanks, everyone, that's all great advice. I ended up taking it easy and having a shorter, more leisurely swim and a soak yesterday, feel fine today :) Will repeat this morning and take tomorrow off. I hadn't thought of actually doing the activity (but more gently) to heal, thank you.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    aokoye wrote: »

Why is sweating good? I mean outside of its evaporative cooling effect which I'm assuming isn't what you're referring too.

It helps keep skin clear (opens up pores, lets the gunk wash away). I believe it helps the immune system. I think there are a host of other benefits too, but I have forgotten them and not had time to Google. And yes, I am referring more to sweating via heat, such as in a steam room or sauna, rather than via exercise.

• LeiLaura
    LeiLaura Posts: 238 Member
    Thanks, I've been wondering whether the steam sounds be good or bad for my skin. Will give it a try.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 676 Member
    Steam rooms improve circulation, potentially lowering blood pressure, leading to a healthier heart. They also help in healing broken skin tissue. And most important, IMO, they are just plain awesome - better than our home hot tub. Enjoy the steam!!!
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    I absolutely hate rest days, but I have come to learn that they are important, and help me perform better the rest of the week.

I don't sit on my bum all day during a rest day, i do active rest. (I'm doing a running streak so i do run 1-2 miles every day but they are super easy on my rest day), i walk on my rest day (at least 20000 steps), i sometimes have fun roller skating or swimming with my boys)