Do I need a day off?

Options
Hi everyone,

I've been building up my swimming from 30 lengths to 40 in 30 mins to 40 in 20 mins over the last month. I'm loving it. I feel so much stronger. I get grumpy if I can't get to the pool and have to miss a day. I joined the gym so I had much better access to a pool at hours convenient to me. It's as much about my mental health as it is my physical journey. It doesn't even feel like exercise - it's the only form of movement I don't dread on some level. So far, so good.

Last night and this morning, my upper back and shoulders ache and feel stiff. I don't think I've missed a swim day in about a week now. Am I overdoing it? Do my muscles need a rest day to heal? Will another swim today cause then damage? How about a leisurely swim, followed by a good soak in the jacuzzi and a spell in the steam room? On that note, what *are* the benefits of a steam room? Besides clearing out the nasal passages :)

Thanks for reading, would greatly appreciate any advice as I'm new to this exercise lark!

Replies

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Nothing bad will happen if you take a (or two) day off.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way as you about exercise and I go to the gym 7 days a week when I can (which is most of the time). During August I only missed 3 days - and 2 of those were because of travelling, otherwise I would have gone. One was because I was feeling peculiarly tired so I took the day off. Basically, as the poster above said, listen to your body. Although I go to the gym almost every day I do different things. Sometimes I am really up for high intensity cardio. Sometimes I go heavy on the weights. Sometimes I take it fairly easy and do much more of a stretching/yoga type session.

If I feel stiff from previous exercise I don't exercise those muscles hard the next day, but I absolutely do move them. In your situation I would do exactly as you suggest - leisurely swim and then relaxation. I'm not 100% sure of the steam room benefits but it does make you sweat like crazy which is supposed to be good. Plus you are not subjected to all the chemicals of a jacuzzi. Personally I avoid the jacuzzi but like the steam room.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    SnifterPug wrote: »
    I feel the same way as you about exercise and I go to the gym 7 days a week when I can (which is most of the time). During August I only missed 3 days - and 2 of those were because of travelling, otherwise I would have gone. One was because I was feeling peculiarly tired so I took the day off. Basically, as the poster above said, listen to your body. Although I go to the gym almost every day I do different things. Sometimes I am really up for high intensity cardio. Sometimes I go heavy on the weights. Sometimes I take it fairly easy and do much more of a stretching/yoga type session.

If I feel stiff from previous exercise I don't exercise those muscles hard the next day, but I absolutely do move them. In your situation I would do exactly as you suggest - leisurely swim and then relaxation. I'm not 100% sure of the steam room benefits but it does make you sweat like crazy which is supposed to be good. Plus you are not subjected to all the chemicals of a jacuzzi. Personally I avoid the jacuzzi but like the steam room.

Why is sweating good? I mean outside of its evaporative cooling effect which I'm assuming isn't what you're referring too.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Do my muscles need a rest day to heal?
    They probably need a recovery day - that could be resting. But recovery doesn't have to mean being inactive and resting though. Doing something different or a much lower intensity version of what hurt you can also help.
    Recovery rides / recovery runs (or walks) are very common amongst frequent exercisers.

Will another swim today cause then damage?
    Unlikely, soreness tends to be self-limiting. But yes there are risks in repetition without recovery, especially when still getting acclimatised to regular/frequent exercise.
    But of course might make your aches worse.

How about a leisurely swim, followed by a good soak in the jacuzzi and a spell in the steam room?
    Sounds very pleasant. Maybe a different swimming stroke or just leg kicks and a float?

On that note, what *are* the benefits of a steam room? Besides clearing out the nasal passages :)
    Relaxation, warming, the chance to get naked with strangers ( optional ;) )

• LeiLaura
    LeiLaura Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, that's all great advice. I ended up taking it easy and having a shorter, more leisurely swim and a soak yesterday, feel fine today :) Will repeat this morning and take tomorrow off. I hadn't thought of actually doing the activity (but more gently) to heal, thank you.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »

Why is sweating good? I mean outside of its evaporative cooling effect which I'm assuming isn't what you're referring too.

It helps keep skin clear (opens up pores, lets the gunk wash away). I believe it helps the immune system. I think there are a host of other benefits too, but I have forgotten them and not had time to Google. And yes, I am referring more to sweating via heat, such as in a steam room or sauna, rather than via exercise.

• LeiLaura
    LeiLaura Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I've been wondering whether the steam sounds be good or bad for my skin. Will give it a try.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Steam rooms improve circulation, potentially lowering blood pressure, leading to a healthier heart. They also help in healing broken skin tissue. And most important, IMO, they are just plain awesome - better than our home hot tub. Enjoy the steam!!!
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I absolutely hate rest days, but I have come to learn that they are important, and help me perform better the rest of the week.

I don't sit on my bum all day during a rest day, i do active rest. (I'm doing a running streak so i do run 1-2 miles every day but they are super easy on my rest day), i walk on my rest day (at least 20000 steps), i sometimes have fun roller skating or swimming with my boys)