Weighing

Options
Just curious how often & how you guys weigh yourself?

I currently weigh once per week first thing in the morning (naked!)

Does anyone weigh less or any differently?

Ladies - do you weigh during time of the month?

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily. It keeps me engaged in the process. My scale syncs to the Health Mate app, which then syncs to mfp.

I accept the fact that there will be fluctuations and plateaus. If those freak you out, I don't recommend daily weigh ins.
  • hmhill17
    hmhill17 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Monday and Friday morning. Lets me see the progress of the week, and it helps me focus through the weekend when it’s usually harder for me to exercise.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Every morning. It keeps me engaged with the diet and also helps me avoid nighttime snacking, as I'm often up very late - I want a good reading in the mornings!
  • Kita1818
    Kita1818 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Every day, after i pee before I shower and/or before exercise. And yes, even during my period.

Every day, because I understand that weight loss (or maintaining weight for that matter) does not look like a straight line.
  • fitpal4242
    fitpal4242 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Usually twice during the week, while at the gym. At least one of those times, I usually see a little fluctuation up, so helpful to see that pattern (not a true gain)
  • Iwanttobetheoldme
    Options
    hmhill17 wrote: »
    Monday and Friday morning. Lets me see the progress of the week, and it helps me focus through the weekend when it’s usually harder for me to exercise.

I like this idea! I may start this too as I need more motivation over the weekend to stay motivated!

Those weighing daily, how do you choose which weight to log?

Does anyone actually weigh in the evening?
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options

I weigh daily, every single morning. I log it every day too, are you planning on only logging it once a week or something?

Nothing wrong with weighing in the evening if that suits you better, as long as you do it at the same ‘state’ - same type of clothes, pre or post dinner etc. In the end it’s about useful comparison day on day or week on week and what’s right for me and my mindset may not be right for you or anybody else.
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,345 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and record in Happy Scale. I put Monday's weight in MFP as my weekly weigh in day.
  • yuko0407
    yuko0407 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, first time in the morning (after I pee), even during my TOM. I log it in Happy Scale, to follow the trend, and eventually in MFP. I think that if you choose to weigh daily, it is very important:
    - to weigh in the same "situation" (no clothes, for example). For me, it's easier in the morning, just before the shower, on an empty stomach;
    - to have a trend app or website, to get rid of the unavoidable weight fluctuations (water retention, bowel contents, ...)
  • Iwanttobetheoldme
    Options
    Thanks! Was just curious how everyone was weighing. I’m planning on weighing & logging once per week so hope that will be okay & accurate!
  • NoHookUpZone
    NoHookUpZone Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, but only in the morning because I don't want to weigh myself when I still have food in my system. I wait till morning after I've digested. It's all personal preference. If you have a heavy meal that day, it may skew your numbers.

I generally don't like weighing that time of the month because of water retention and I find it discouraging even though I know it's just water weight.
  • Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily after showering and use MFP and Libra.

I think more information is better, but many feel more comfortable only weighing once a week. You'll have to experiment.
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I weigh every morning except when I am out of town because I only like to use my own scale. I use the toilet first, but I wear whatever clothes I slept in. As someone else said, it is the consistency that matters more than the details.

ETA: I also use Happy Scale and still weigh during my cycle.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options

I like this idea! I may start this too as I need more motivation over the weekend to stay motivated!

I weigh daily, and log it into the Happy Scale app daily.

I log into MFP once per month, about a week after my period started, which is my lowest point of the month.

This month I gained 4 pounds when I ovulated, and I don't see the point in logging that into MFP.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Daily weigher here - only input the number into my trending app (Libra)
    Only record once a month on MFP, if even. (in long term maintenance)
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    Every morning, so I can learn what factors affect my weight and how, and not panic because I ate high-carb and am suddenly teh fat :)

I also use a weight trending app.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Daily for a more complete picture and less worry over ups and downs.
  • papayahed
    papayahed Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh myself. I feel like I probably should at some point but the numbers make me crazy. In the past I've obsessed over the numbers and start making charts and graphs and got far to discouraged if it wasn't moving fast enough. The down side is that I don't really "know" how good or bad I'm doing. The only way I keep track is clothing sizes, which isn't very accurate and takes a minute. It's not the best system but it works for me so far.

• 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I weigh myself in the morning after using the toilet, wearing only underpants. Every day. I enter that number into the Happy Scale app for iPhone, which creates a gentle little graph that shows trends that are easy on the eye and don't freak me out if there's a weight gain for a day or two here and there. Here's something helpful: take your body measurements! Bust, waist, hips. Write 'em down. Then in a month or so, take 'em again and record them. Do that every month or two, and you'll also see what your progress is. You can also take some before/after photos every month or two. All three of these are helpful ways of checking progress. Have fun with it!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Don’t weigh in the evening. It will be harder to get a consistent weight due to what you ate that day. That’s why every single weigh in recommendation in the world says to weigh first thing in the morning after using the bathroom and before eating or drinking. As a test, weigh in the evening and again the next morning for 2-3 days and track the differences.