Fitbit GPS

Wonder if anyone on here could help me. I've recent enjoyed seeing maps of my runs thanks to my Fitbit Charge 2's connected GPS feature with my phone. However, since I got a new armband for my phone (to save me holding it for my run and so I can carry my water bottle too), my phone and fitbit haven't been able to connect via GPS...and if it does, it's very sporadic. Could my armband be blocking the GPS signal or something? It's fine when I just carry my phone but I bring my water bottle on all runs now so I need my armband to keep one hand free. I have an android phone btw - Samsung Galaxy A5 (2017).
Any help appreciated!

Replies

• Cat_A_89
    Cat_A_89 Posts: 93 Member
    I use an armband too and mine tracks runs fairly accurate. Sometimes the run lines are abit sporadic but it has no issues connecting.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Are the Fitbit and the armband on the same arm? While it theoretically shouldn’t make a difference, my super fancy Garmin watch can’t always connect to sensors if it has to pass through my body to do so.

Beyond that, I have no idea.
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Are the Fitbit and the armband on the same arm? While it theoretically shouldn’t make a difference, my super fancy Garmin watch can’t always connect to sensors if it has to pass through my body to do so.

Thanks for the tip...I have my armband on the opposite arm to my Fitbit so will try them both on the same arm tonight to see if that makes a difference!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member

Thanks for the tip...I have my armband on the opposite arm to my Fitbit so will try them both on the same arm tonight to see if that makes a difference!

In that case, it's your body. The water in your body will be attenuating the Bluetooth signal, and as FitBit radio tech is pretty low end that's what's causing the issue.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Your phone has a GPS receiver, but it talks to your phone via Bluetooth. And BT can't go through your body.
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Thanks for the tip guys! It was just a simple case of changing the arm I was wearing my armband on as I got a clear track of my run tonight. Felt weird having it on the different arm but got used to it as the run went on.

Looking forward to seeing more of my runs again 😊