Insightful conversation about my diary?

Options

Replies

• sroberts1522
    sroberts1522 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You really need to change how you think. 4lbs a month is a huge success rate and really anything else is not needed and potentially unhealthy and unsustainable. You need to accept that proper, sustainable weightloss is a slow experience and not an overnight thing. You’re going great guns at that rate. Keep it up.

Thank you! I think you are right and the right balance is what I need to find. What worked for me last time was making sure I was getting enough protein and fiber and keeping my calories in check. So I’m now doing the same thing BUT eating closer (or just over) my daily allowance. I think I do have some sort of eating disorder, and body distortion is definitely an issue. This all just shows me that I just have more work to do then before!
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    You really need to change how you think. 4lbs a month is a huge success rate and really anything else is not needed and potentially unhealthy and unsustainable. You need to accept that proper, sustainable weightloss is a slow experience and not an overnight thing. You’re going great guns at that rate. Keep it up.

Thank you! I think you are right and the right balance is what I need to find. What worked for me last time was making sure I was getting enough protein and fiber and keeping my calories in check. So I’m now doing the same thing BUT eating closer (or just over) my daily allowance. I think I do have some sort of eating disorder, and body distortion is definitely an issue. This all just shows me that I just have more work to do then before!

If you continue to struggle perhaps finding a professional to chat to would be helpful. I wish you every success
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    A food scale hasn't been necessary for me to lose weight, but it obviously helps other people. I once ordered a scale and it's still in the box.

The biggest tool that helps me is not a measuring cup, spoon, or a scale. It's meal planning and prep.

I didn't get fat because I didn't measure an extra tablespoon of salad dressing or ketchup. I got fat because at work I would grab a bag of potato chips (750 calories, according to the label) and a candy bar (250 calories, same info) = a whopping 1000 calories of food with little nutrition.

Meal prep means I take a banana and some measured almonds for a snack for a fraction of the calories and better nutrition. I may not know exactly how many calories are in my banana, but it's definitely not 1000.
  • sroberts1522
    sroberts1522 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hollis100 wrote: »
    A food scale hasn't been necessary for me to lose weight, but it obviously helps other people. I once ordered a scale and it's still in the box.

The biggest tool that helps me is not a measuring cup, spoon, or a scale. It's meal planning and prep.

I didn't get fat because I didn't measure an extra tablespoon of salad dressing or ketchup. I got fat because at work I would grab a bag of potato chips (750 calories, according to the label) and a candy bar (250 calories, same info) = a whopping 1000 calories of food with little nutrition.

Meal prep means I take a banana and some measured almonds for a snack for a fraction of the calories and better nutrition. I may not know exactly how many calories are in my banana, but it's definitely not 1000.

Thank you! My work makes it very easy to eat healthy ( both my bosses are plant based vegans). I care less about measuring healthy wholesome foods (fruits and veggies) and more about cheese and carb snacks and nuts... I just want this to be sustainable and feel natural instead of starting to obsess about scales again.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Different strokes for different folks.
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Hollis100 wrote: »

Thank you! My work makes it very easy to eat healthy ( both my bosses are plant based vegans). I care less about measuring healthy wholesome foods (fruits and veggies) and more about cheese and carb snacks and nuts... I just want this to be sustainable and feel natural instead of starting to obsess about scales again.

I feel much the same -- I don't worry about wholesome foods (but do log everything).

I'm not going to eat five apples, but I might eat two unplanned candies etc. with extra hundreds/thousands of calories if I don't pack my own snacks.

Lucky you to work with bosses like that. It sounds like you're on the right track. Good luck!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    So looking at the diary, I agree with the poster who said logging could be tighened up. There are entries such as "mongolian beef" that don't specify brands, and others, like the smoked salmon, that look a lot lower than the smoked salmon I am familiar with. Also, stuff like a tsp of mayo you need to be really careful with, as it's common for people to use heaping tsps and get quite a bit more. Your zucchini entry looks like an untrustworthy entry in that it's a brand and the word is misspelled -- I think it's best to use the USDA entries for whole foods, although granted with something like zucchini it's unlikely to make a big difference if it's a little off. If you used any butter or oil to cook the zucchini, make sure that gets logged too.

I get not wanting to weigh. I didn't weigh initially and lost fine, although I did decide to try weighing and found it to be more enjoyable than trying to estimate, but you do need to be really careful about the database entries chosen and check against your package information (it does seem like most of what you are eating is from packages, which will make that easy). Otherwise, if you pick a method and are consistent, you can decide in a couple of weeks or a month if you are happy with your rate of loss.

How active are you? Did MFP give you the calorie goal?
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    duskyjewel wrote: »
    Why are my posts so aggressive? They're not, I just don't use soft flowery language. Also:
    Terytha wrote: »
    Ok! I took a quick look and I'm seeing a lot of cups and teaspoons when it comes to sauces and stuff. That will never be accurate

Statements like that need to be challenged.

It definitely can be accurate if you're careful. I don't like doctrinaire opinions being touted as fact.

Rock on keyboard warrior! (Where did that eyeroll emoji go??)

How on earth does this whole part of this thread help me? I use a scale at home and it can convert to cups and tablespoons. I got so good at the math when I was doing this before, that I could easily convert grams and ounces just as quick. Watching you guys fight over this tiny part of this conversation has been unhelpful.

Would you mind sharing the name of that scale? I'd love to look into that. Thanks. ☺