Any frequent travelers here?

Options
So for the past year I’ve been at a job that involves lots of travel and I’ve found that it’s making it really difficult for me to maintain healthy habits and my weight has been consistently creeping up. I travel 40-50% of the time and, when I do, that means constantly eating out at restaurants. Even when I return home, I find my hunger cues totally out of wack (perhaps due to jet lag?) and am extra ravenous.

Can anyone here relate? Any tips to better manage the work travel without sabotaging my health and weight loss goals?

Replies

• liz60625
    liz60625 Posts: 17 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I can totally relate! I travel pretty frequently and for me it’s eating out all three meals and the social part which includes drinking.

My tricks: eat the same breakfast every day (usually the protein plate from Starbucks or something easy like that, that I can find no matter what town I’m in); aim for a healthy lunch because usually that’s where I have control over where and what I eat. I also try to order seafood or just meat and vegetable for dinner when traveling a) because I’m not great at cooking it at home and b) if prepared well it starts with less calories. I have started working out which I don’t do otherwise but helps with travel calories. I also found a few things that I like that are on almost any menu—a particular salad; French dip without cheese; or hummus and if I need to stick to those. If all else fails I have a bounce back plan as soon as I come home!

• alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,718 Member
    Options
    I don't travel as much as you, but I can relate to getting derailed by the process. I walk in the airports during layovers to burn some of the calories. My breakfast is oats and protein powder which I can prepare in a hotel room microwave. I also carry snacks that fit in my program - jerky, almonds, protein bars, etc.
  • Lobsterboxtops
    Lobsterboxtops Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Work travel is how I ended up here :s

No advice but lots of commiseration.
  • krose4514
    krose4514 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    @Lobsterboxtops - so hard, right??

Thanks very much for the suggestions @liz60625 and @alteredsteve175.

I think I should start bringing my own breakfast. Lunches and dinners are hard as they’re often with colleagues but should try to stick with vegetables and protein. Hard when people always want to share though!

Definitely need to be better about getting on track when I get home too...
  • TheChristianSimone
    Options
    Lets see in my last job I traveled 85-95% which helped me to get back up to 320+. I will say as long as I am a hermit I could maintain my weight at first ie no social evenings, no drinking, eating very clean etc. But the more pressure I got under for not being a good little stereotype, I had to drink a lot to get through.

Now I am in a regular go home at night job that is for a health and wellness technology company so we have a gym on site. One friend from my last job who was oh so dreamy fit would either cook his meals or go by one of those healthy food premade places and freeze it before his trip and check the bag. He could ensure he only ate what he brought and kept his body looking yummy.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I find that ordering only water and no alcohol is the best point of attack and also jogging early or late. Utelise hotel gyms
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Survival tips from a fellow road warrior....

1) don’t drink or stick to one glass of wine. No one, and I mean no one gives a crap if you drink or not. You don’t need to make any excuses, practice saying “I’ll stick with water”

2) get up early and go for a walk outside if it’s safe, or use the hotel gym. Try a trial membership to the app Apptiv that has a gazillion workouts you can do anywhere

3) pick some restaurant meals that aren’t that exciting and stick with them. You’ll be less likely to overeat if it’s nothing exotic. Chicken or fish with grilled veggies you can get anywhere. Don’t order a dessert, share and just have a bite or two

4) if you are in meetings where they bring lunch or breakfast in, ask for vegetarian or vegan. It’s less likely to be high calories.

5) don’t be afraid to bring some snacks to meetings (packaged nuts, bars, banana,etc) if it helps you pass on doughnuts, cookies, pastries

And last, maybe hardest, understand that you’re not going to starve to death on an airplane. I used to bring piles of snacks and eat them to pass the time, or panic that I didn’t know when I would eat next. It’s not an emergency, yiu might get a little hungry in the 5 hours it takes to get across the country. But you’ll servive. Drink water, water and more water. Aisle seat to pee.
  • krose4514
    krose4514 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Agreed I should be better about sticking just to water! My schedules for work travel are so crazy (work always goes well into the nights and weekends) that I’ve never been able to fit any kind of workouts in. Maybe should try to at least figure out a way to get some short in-room exercise in though...
  • Lark13
    Lark13 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    For me the key is to travel with appropriate snacks in my carryon so I never find myself overly hungry and tempted by the unfortunate food choices available at most airports and hotels. I will still eat airport and hotel food (difficult not to when traveling) but make much better choices if I have sensible snacks available to take the edge off.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Avid and frequent traveler here! In the last year I’ve been to 24 countries. I’ve been traveling for about 10 years. Sometimes in a new place - I want to try the local delicacies- I find a way to fit them in. India was rough as I wanted to eat everything!

Some airports are awesome for food choices- Dubai, Singapore and Hong Kong are like small beautiful cities in the airports alone!
    I still try to keep it low cal, for my personal diet - i choose as many veggies and lean proteins as possible. I also pack some food in my carry on just in case -that I know will get through security and not weight down my carry on.

I’ve found when I fly a lot - long haul flights from Australia or Asia- less sodium helps me feel less bloated - if my flight has a meal option - I always go with a special dietary meal.

......and drink water like crazy.....

Happy 🧳 traveling!!
  • GrizzledSquirrel
    GrizzledSquirrel Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Try eating in. There are some amazing websites out there explaining how to cook something as simple as a boiled egg/heating up cans in a hotel room kettle to poaching salmon + veg in a coffee jug! (Just promise to wash properly for the next person!!) There are plenty of soups and noodles you can buy which mix with hot water, which provides warming satisfaction, while you can pair with pre-prepared salads bought at a supermarket. Agreed, you couldn’t rely on this all the time, but it might give you the odd break from eating out. Alternatively, ask your company to book you into AirBnBs where you get use of a kitchen.
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    I travel a lot. What helps me:

1) Wake up early and go for a run or in the gym. Sometimes jetlag is your friend.
    2) Skip breakfast. It can be hard for some, especially if it's included in the hotel package, but still. Alos skip pastries at coffee breaks.
    3) Get a glass of water at the events. No one cares what you drink as soon as you have a glass in your hands.
    4) If you go to a restaurant - try to get into a fancy one, portions are small there. If you cannot - just get a small dish, like soup or salad.

For me it's easy to skip meals. I do IF and can fast 24 h no problem. I often eat just once a day when travel, sometimes two. Might not work for everyone. I also often go abroad to different countries with often strange cuisine. This helps too.