This "exercise log??"

Options
Hey everyone...I'm curious. Do any of you have any problem with this so-called "exercise log" or are you OK with the way it's set up?
I do a lot of walking for exercise (doctor's orders) ~ around the block, treadmill (2.5-3mph), etc. ~ and it's logged on my phone on an app...which does not transfer to my account here, so I have to try to log it separately. I can't find anywhere that it translates into my account here; all I see is "note" and I can record my steps, but it doesn't mean anything.
Can any of you please explain how this section is set up? ...because to me, it's a useless enterprise.
Thanks much!!

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    You wouldn't want to log every single step as exercise anyway. You already get credit for some steps with your stated activity level. A device/app that syncs to MFP would be a better choice. That way you only get credit for those steps above and beyond your stated activity level.

That said you could increase or decrease your activity based on your step average: http://www.fitnessforweightloss.com/rate-your-activity-level-based-on-steps-per-day/

OR you can choose to log deliberate walks and get a calorie burn estimate.

When you increase your activity level or you log deliberate exercise you get earned calories. The MFP way is set up, your calorie goal is before exercise.

The log/notes are just that notes.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Have you tried using mapmywalk? it syncs with this app too.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,894 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Hey everyone...I'm curious. Do any of you have any problem with this so-called "exercise log" or are you OK with the way it's set up?

I have no problem at all with it. :)

I turn on my laptop and go to my Exercise Diary, then select whatever I've done and approx. the time it has taken to do it (I often round down). Easy!

7adwjl6n80e9.png

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,894 Member
    Options
    I should add that I don't log every single step I do. I only log deliberate exercise.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I should add that I don't log every single step I do. I only log deliberate exercise.

^ agreed
  • whitewave39
    whitewave39 Posts: 118 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I think it's easy to "log every step" because that's the way my phone pedometer app works...or I may approximate up to the nearest "00" because I don't carry my phone around with me all day LOL.
    On the treadmill it's easy to figure either way, but I might just have counting in my head also because I always remember the "10,000 steps per day" rule... :/
    Maybe I should just start timing it instead of counting it?? That might work better here...Thanks for the fast responses!! ;)
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Unless I do a huge walk i don’t count incidental walking calories from every day activities. I count intentional exercise but only eat 50% to 75% of it back if I feel I need it.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Options
    This is my exercise log from today plus the calories I’ve eaten in total i6o93c7zasnp.png
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I think it's easy to "log every step" because that's the way my phone pedometer app works...or I may approximate up to the nearest "00" because I don't carry my phone around with me all day LOL.
    On the treadmill it's easy to figure either way, but I might just have counting in my head also because I always remember the "10,000 steps per day" rule... :/
    Maybe I should just start timing it instead of counting it?? That might work better here...Thanks for the fast responses!! ;)

So what is your end goal here - you want to log steps done for the exercise as a figure to compare?
    Or actually note the fact you burned more than non-exercise activity level and correctly eat more when you do more?

You can go create your own logging value and call it steps.

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/measurements/check_in

Down at bottom - link for Track Additional Measurements.

Otherwise to log the walk you'd need to know your distance and time and pick correct entry from cardio database a post above showed.
  • wmdowis
    wmdowis Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is my exercise log from today plus the calories I’ve eaten in total

It’s good to know I’m not the only one logging lawn mowing. I felt guilty for putting it in there the other day.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    wmdowis wrote: »

It’s good to know I’m not the only one logging lawn mowing. I felt guilty for putting it in there the other day.

I think it's good to do whatever you're comfortable with and what works for you. I have gotten plenty of side eye for logging ~2 hours of shopping in a mall as 40 minutes walking 2.0 mph. But I'm set to sedentary and it does make a difference (for me). There are days that I literally sit at my desk in an office all day and then lounge around at home with no physical activity outside of 10 minute breaks and doing laundry/dishes at night. So for me, that's exercise.

It is NOT on the level of yesterday's rocky & strenuous 3 hour hike, no. But I still log it.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Options
    I logged it but I’m not one to eat back calories for life exercise.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Log it as Walking, the pace and the duration

j0oxr4layj25.png
  • whitewave39
    whitewave39 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    wmdowis wrote: »

I think it's good to do whatever you're comfortable with and what works for you. I have gotten plenty of side eye for logging ~2 hours of shopping in a mall as 40 minutes walking 2.0 mph. But I'm set to sedentary and it does make a difference (for me). There are days that I literally sit at my desk in an office all day and then lounge around at home with no physical activity outside of 10 minute breaks and doing laundry/dishes at night. So for me, that's exercise.

It is NOT on the level of yesterday's rocky & strenuous 3 hour hike, no. But I still log it.

Years ago when I was a member @ CalorieCount I logged EVERYthing I did...walking around the house, any housework, stairs, gardening, etc. ~ and I was absolutely committed to a 3.5-4mph stint on the treadmill first thing in the morning! I lost 130# this way...plus counting calories, of course! ;)
    After having 8 babies, plus 2 miscarriages ~ all within 9.5 years ~ my body was ready for a new adventure LOL!
    When I reached my goal (my "ideal" weight range) I was absolutely thrilled!
    And then, after about 5 years of maintaining, taking care of my late husband (sick for over 20 years from Agent Orange diseases...long story) I just started to let myself go after he passed away in 2014.
    Now, I get on the scale and see that I have gained 50#...so once again, here I am ~ counting calories, burning what I can, eating healthier...and thank God...it seems to be working!
    Again.
    So...even tho' CC closed down a couple of years ago, joining this site is helping me to get FIT. And I have received support from everyone else who comes here to track, log, update, etc ~ and I appreciate the feedback, I really DO.
    Thank-you ALL for your responses...and I'll keep coming back to see what other helpful hints I can pick up!! ;)
    ~ WISHING YOU ALL THE VERY BEST OF LUCK ~