Getting started (for like the 200th time?!)

Welp, I’m hoping to really stick with tracking food and exercising more. I’m excited to just be healthier overall again. I battle depression and anxiety and admit to have fallen into the vicious cycle over the years of emotional (binge) eating. Time to get my butt in gear to feeling better and stronger!!
I’d love to hear your reasons “why” and what keeps you motivated! 👍🏼

Replies

• Starliya
    Starliya Posts: 8 Member
    We're like the same person. I also suffer from depression and anxiety which causes me to binge eat too. I keep on needing to restart my diet too...I hope we all can stay motivated and succeed in our diet soon!!!
  • Sunshine6909
    Sunshine6909 Posts: 108 Member
    This is my first week starting again the 2nd time round. I also have anxiety, depression & pain issues. I find the mutual support on MFP very encouraging.😀 Setting small goals & starting with small changes also helps.
  • MrDCLC
    MrDCLC Posts: 2 Member
    Small steps and taking a day at a time. This is my first day on MFP. Hope it brings a focus on my caloric consumption.
  • Cinder333
    Cinder333 Posts: 39 Member
    I am also starting over again for the 100th time. I haven't had much success with tracking my calories. I would like to lose 17 pounds. I am trying to start with a simple convenience food plan, similar to Nutrisystem or Jenny Craig but with grocery store brands. I have to watch sodium because I sometimes have high blood pressure. So 3 frozen meals a day, one slimfast shake and one 100 calorie snack. Also about 4 cups of vegetables a day. I am planning to do this for about 1 month, then reevaluate.

As I get closer to my goal weight I will start switching the frozen food for regular food, and keep tracking calories.

I am considering joining a gym or exercise class too.
  • Naturally_Monica
    Naturally_Monica Posts: 335 Member
    Hey, welcome. I struggle with binge eating as well, and then the restricting that comes after that. I put on 50 pounds and didn’t even notice until I went for a physical checkup and they weighed me. I mean, I knew I had gained weight, because I didn’t fit into the clothes I had, I looked different, had new stretch marks, but 50 pounds? It was so sudden. I had really gone through a bad time in my life. I dropped out of high school, was struggling with episodes of depression from my bipolar disorder, adopted not so healthy coping mechanisms, and I hated myself for a long time. It took me years to learn how to lose weight the right way, the healthy way. I dont restrict. I don’t do crazy diets. I just count calories. I’ve just lost 40 pounds and I never knew I could do it. But I did it. I fell in love with lifting weights and now I love going to the gym. Such a stress reliever. You’ve got this.
  • shannonlesley9
    shannonlesley9 Posts: 10 Member
    I've been struggling with emotional eating, I think it's anxiety-related honestly. I keep getting into a cycle of doing well and then not so much. Welcome back! I am also starting again (again again lol)
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Anxiety, depression and ptsd here. I got diagnosed after losing my husband to ALS last year.

In June, I woke up one morning and was ready to change my life for the better. Started mfp and haven't looked back. I think you have to really be ready. You have to be sure.

Good luck with your journey! 💟
  • diva26
    diva26 Posts: 3 Member
    I’m suffering from putting myself last:
    Over the years I’ve had no ambition to eat right and exercise. Just got really lazy so at this time I am excited that I’m trying to make a change and for once put me first. Good Luck to you all and thank you for letting me share.
  • Randyamc
    Randyamc Posts: 365 Member
    Just getting started again myself and I've lost count. Anyone is welcome to add me.
    My diary is open and I'm highly motivated to make this stick.
    Time to really start living!!!
  • aracely2224
    aracely2224 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Hi! MFP has helped me achieve my goals with the calorie count. I’m cheering for you!

You can do it! 🌺
  • Pamela_Sue
    Pamela_Sue Posts: 563 Member
    Cinder333 wrote: »
    I am also starting over again for the 100th time. I haven't had much success with tracking my calories. I would like to lose 17 pounds. I am trying to start with a simple convenience food plan, similar to Nutrisystem or Jenny Craig but with grocery store brands. I have to watch sodium because I sometimes have high blood pressure. So 3 frozen meals a day, one slimfast shake and one 100 calorie snack. Also about 4 cups of vegetables a day. I am planning to do this for about 1 month, then reevaluate.

As I get closer to my goal weight I will start switching the frozen food for regular food, and keep tracking calories.

I am considering joining a gym or exercise class too.

Hi. This is also how I started my diet, using frozen grocery store meals. My blood pressure was also too high (getting better). Recommend using an on-line grocery store app, such as Walmart.com, or your local grocery app, to read the sodium amounts on the labels so you don't have to stand in the store and read every label on every meal. Just make the best sodium choices you can while following the frozen meal plan. After a month or so, I switched to cooking, and really watching my sodium. Wish you the best!
  • woodsey515
    woodsey515 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi! I'm starting over for the 100th time. This time taking it one week at a time. Finally cleared to go back to the gym. I gained 10 lbs while on medical leave. I have to re train my mind. I have to start very slow with exercise. I know the calorie count works. I'm determined to be consistent.
  • slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    Congrats on recommitting to your goals. I was a serial yo yoer and am hoping to keep the weight off this time. Instead of weight loss goal I set myself a long term goal. I lost about 40 lbs of which I gained 5 back and am working to get those back off as well. But my goal was not specifically to get to a certain weight, my goal was to get to a weight range and stay there for at least 2 years. My hope is that after figuring out that goal I should be pretty good on figuring out how to keep it there after those two years are up.

Despite some external stressors, which are my usual binge triggers, I have been well for about 10 months. So try changing your goal. realize this is a process, and if you gain a bit of weight back, you have not failed and keep at it. Good luck.
  • ChickieBoom22
    ChickieBoom22 Posts: 75 Member
    I started over for the 100th time back in March. Unfortunately I’m a rock bottom dieter...I can never stick to my diet until I’ve hit rock bottom. Last time I lost a significant amount of weight I’d skyrocketed up to 279 pounds. That was back in 2012.

This time I was inching my way toward 300 pounds before I had the presence of mind to do something about it.

I’m just glad to be back on it and taking it one day at a time.
  • Danfat2fit
    Danfat2fit Posts: 5 Member
    I’m also getting started for 200th time. I’m bridesmaid for my sister next year so that’s
    A big motivating factor.
  • sr2587
    sr2587 Posts: 213 Member
    I totally understand! I’ve had a lot of the same struggles! My favorite part of the day is my workout! Feels so good! I wish you the best!! 🙂
  • Designedtorun
    Designedtorun Posts: 3 Member
    I'm starting over again after my surgery I had earlier in the week. An elective surgery mind you a reverse vasectomy. The time off to recover and also a busy summer slowed my progress. I'm still down on weight compared to January of this year but I want to get back on track and back to work on my goal.
  • Devil_Dawg
    Devil_Dawg Posts: 167 Member
    Tell me about it