Confused about the 1200 base. Too little!

Options
Just out of curiosity, I cant be the only person here that thinks 1200 is too low as a base. I understand this is the least amount of calories I should be eating in a day and Ive tried it but its just too low and while I saw a little bit of a drop in weight , as soon as I ate about 200 calories over, I gained all the weight back. My BMR is 1600 and my TDEE is 2500...should I not be eating say 1500 minimum?

Replies

• LotsOtots5
    LotsOtots5 Posts: 174
    Options
    I could never do it. In fact, until I started eating around 15-1600 I couldn't lose. It's different for everyone but I was miserable trying to eat 1200 calories a day. I'd rather be happy and fit than miserably hungry and weak!!
  • lmcisneros
    lmcisneros Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree that for any normal person 1200 is very low, but for anyone who has had RNY gastric bypass surgery, 1200 is on the high side of the recommended daily intake. Maybe this lower limit is taking that into consideration.
  • zohars
    zohars Posts: 29
    Options
    1200 is only really a minimum for people who are used to dieting in an unhealthy manner and think they won't lose if they eat more than say, 800 calories a day. So it's not a real minimum, more like a "seriously everyone, don't starve yourself." You should be eating 500 less than maintenance (Which I think would be 2000 ~ 10 calories per pound, though I don't know what TDEE stands for). Healthy weight loss for most people will be 1 lb a week.
  • CatMauro
    CatMauro Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I too find it really low so no matter what I'm doing or what the day is like I always try to get some exercise in so I can eat more :) If you still find it too low than you can adjust your goals to lose 1/2 lbs a week instead of 1 lb.
  • katm427
    katm427 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Most people recommend having their base at 500 lower than their BMR. If I followed that accurately, I would have my baseline at around 1,000 calories per day, which I would be fine with, but I'm giving the MFP way a shot. If you followed the minus 500 rule, then your baseline would actually be around 1100 to 1200.

Also, what is a TDEE.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Your base should be 500 below your TDEE, not your BMR.

It sounds like for you, 1200 is far too low. Increase those cals! :)
  • ChelleBelle05
    Options
    I only have 1200 and to be honest i have not lost a thing, like you the minute i eat a little over i gain! How can this be when that is what i should be eating to maintain. I'm 31, surely my metabolism hasn't given up already! I do have PCOS and IBS so whether these affect it i dont know.

I have 7 weeks to lose 8lb, at this rate im never going to lose it! :-(
  • sunshineshica
    Options
    well sometimes....most times i end up going over my calories but I make up for it in exercising for the day which balances me out...so I'd say to at least burn enough calories that'd take away from one of your meals for the day. that may work.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    are you eating back your exercise calories?
  • hjfischer
    hjfischer Posts: 250
    Options
    It is a base, but I find it to be WAY too low. I never go below 1500-1600. For me, that is my low base. Try and figure out what works best for you.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I can not imagine only eating 1200 calories a day. Heck, my body gets ticked off and starts gaining weight if I'm under 2000 calories a day - I can NOT imagine only eating 1200. I'd be a starving mess!

Everyone's body is different. Some people do just fine on low calories and others don't (I think more don't than do, but that's just my opinion). I personally know I need 2200-2500 net calories a day.
  • karatsd
    karatsd Posts: 35
    Options
    It is all based on how much you weigh, how much you lose and how active you are in general. The heavier you are or more active you are, the less likely, 1200 calories will be enough. And Remember, if you exercise at all, the calories you take in should always be over 1200 or you will go into starvation mode. I lost 45 pounds before coming to this site by eating 1600 calories a day and exercising 4 times per week. Now, I need to eat less than that in order to continue losing.
  • PetraCore
    PetraCore Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your activity level too. I have mine set at 1200 but I feel like anything between 1200-1500 is a good day. and I may eat more than 1500 on a heavy exercise day.
  • kooshajan
    kooshajan Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I agree Im cranky and feel like Im starving. My fiance is going nuts! My typical daily activities are:

Wake up, 5 mins yoga, 8 mins ab work. Walk 30 mins to work. I work in receiving so I am constantly walking and lifting things. I walk 30 mins home and do something productive for an hour in the evening, ie swimming, workout video, walking, badminton, etc. I selected active and a 2lb loss per week and it gives me 1240 calories as a net. If I lower it to a 1.5lb loss per week it gives me 1490 cals. If I stick to the 1240 as a base and add calories eaten from my calories burned to each 1500 and I still eating 1500 or is it technically 1240? I know my body needs to be eating at least 1500.
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    For people with large fat stores (in the obese category or the upper ranges of overweight), the target of 1200 isn't too low because there is not really the same danger of starvation mode and 1200 is sufficient to get adequate nutrients from the food you do eat. I think that it is key to listen to our bodies, and if your body is telling you that it's not enough, then it probably isn't enough.

As for your 1500 minimum, if you selected the maximum 2 pounds a week, then that is the 1000 calorie deficit that MFP should have calculated from the 2500 TDEE. Did MFP give you the 1200 number, or did you just try it out on your own?
  • emmylou32
    emmylou32 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I think to be honest it depends on what you eat.. I rarely meet the 1200 only if I have something I know I shouldn't due to high fat or high sugar content do I reach it.. Ie: sausages or coke.

How many meals do you eat..?
    My typical day is breakfast of bran flakes and semi skimmed milk. Lunch is wraps, or chicken salad or a jacket potato with either beans or tuna. My dinner is then usually a meat, either chicken breast or pork chop with a small amount of pasta or rice or potatoes and a whole heap of mixed veg. I generally drink coffee with 1.5 sugars. diet coke or bottled water.

The only time I've gone over the 1200 was at a wedding over the weekend due to limited choice on the buffet. Im just short of 12st. A busy mum of 3 who barely sits down. :o)
  • MaryEffingPoppins
    MaryEffingPoppins Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    7 weeks to lose 8lbs??? Girl cut all starches, breads, rice etc... And you'll lose those pounds in about 3-4 weeks!
  • Buddhaboy
    Buddhaboy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I agree 1200 feels really low
    I'm 6 ft, 228, and my base feels low at 1400
    All I could figure out to do is drive up my calorie deficit through exercise
    If I'm eating around 2000, it just feels better and I'm still losing about 1-2 pounds a week
  • MaryEffingPoppins
    MaryEffingPoppins Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I only have 1200 and to be honest i have not lost a thing, like you the minute i eat a little over i gain! How can this be when that is what i should be eating to maintain. I'm 31, surely my metabolism hasn't given up already! I do have PCOS and IBS so whether these affect it i dont know.

I have 7 weeks to lose 8lb, at this rate im never going to lose it! :-(

7 weeks to lose 8lbs??? Girl cut all starches, breads, rice etc... And you'll lose those pounds in about 3-4 weeks!