September Goal

JazzyLady1987
JazzyLady1987 Posts: 1 Member
edited September 2019 in Motivation and Support
I started out on August 5 at 260 lbs. Today, 9/2 I weighed in at 247.9. I hope to get down to 230 by the end of the month.

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    17 lbs in a month is a LOT, too much - 2lbs per week is the most you should aim to lose and then less per week as your weight gets closer to a healthy BMI, but wishing you all the best. Congrats on your loss so far.
  • BHFF
    BHFF Posts: 421 Member
    Jazzy, at your weight, 17lbs in one month is NOT too much! You are going to lose weight quickly at first. That is ok as the majority will be water weight. Keep grinding and pushing and you will hit your 230 by the end of the month! Awesome job
  • aracely2224
    aracely2224 Posts: 1,070 Member
    edited September 2019
    That’s a great accomplishment! You should be very proud of yourself 🌺 Congrats
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited September 2019
    BHFF wrote: »
    Jazzy, at your weight, 17lbs in one month is NOT too much! You are going to lose weight quickly at first. That is ok as the majority will be water weight. Keep grinding and pushing and you will hit your 230 by the end of the month! Awesome job

But it's not "At first". Water weight loss is most likely how she lost 12 lbs in the first month.

OP, congrats on that fast start and your success so far! But please don't expect to continue losing that fast, as some of it was most likely water weight. The typical recommendation is to lose no more than 1% of your body weight per week, so the MFP max of 2 lbs is where you should be aiming. If you lose a little bit faster than that, it's probably okay, but expecting and forcing 4 lbs per week is unrealistic.

Best of luck!

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    @JazzyLady1987 , I started out only slightly smaller than you and I could not lose 17 lbs. after the first month. I certainly lost the most in the first month, even though I was eating similar and moving even more in the following months.

Setting realistic goals is the pathway to success. Weightloss is not linear and you really don't have that much control over the actual weight, just the general trend. Set goals that you have more control over: log every day, eat within your calorie limit, eat more veggies (if you aren't already getting enough), find treats that fit your goals, move your body at least 15 minutes a day (I just made that number up, use your own number, but don't expect to move for an hour every single day; you need rest, as well). These are all things that you can control and will lead to the weightloss, and indeed improved health, over time.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    I started out on August 5 at 260 lbs. Today, 9/2 I weighed in at 247.9. I hope to get down to 230 by the end of the month.

Great work! Don't be surprised if your weight loss slows down some after the original water weight loss. Read the sexypants thread linked above, do the things it says, and put on your patient pants! ;)