Working overnight shift.

Options
Hello! I’m a Nurse and work 12 hour overnight shifts and have been for the past three years. It makes any routine nearly impossible as my schedule changes weekly. Everyone always says you gain weight working the overnight shift but does anyone have recommendations on weight loss working the 3rd shift. Either when they eat, how much, what they eat ect. I almost always put on about 10k steps at work each night, but don’t drink a lot of water during my work nights (too busy which is a bad excuse) and it’s hard to fit in working out on a work night while working 12 hour shifts that turn into 13-14 hours. I normally fit it my workouts on my off days. Any suggestions are welcomed and appreciated :)

Replies

• BubbaMob100
    BubbaMob100 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    We have a weight room where I work and I’ll use my lunch break to go and workout. It’s nice to help wake me up also on nights I’m dragging.
  • The_Weaze
    The_Weaze Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    The most important element to losing weight is your nutrition. As long as you're meeting your calorie goals you can lose weight no matter which shift you work.
  • TheRunningGinger
    Options
    I am a PM shift nurse, also. And in school full-time. Married with 4 children. So, in other words, I feel your pain. I have worked PM shift since 2012. My weight has fluctuated through different seasons, based on the stress level of where I worked. Once I dropped weight to a dangerous low. Right now, I am overweight. For me, eating a large meal during my shift makes me incredibly uncomfortable. So, I snack throughout the night. Fruit, instant oatmeal, almonds, small salad. Like you mentioned, the amount of steps we take during a shift means we have to be purposeful about fueling our bodies. My husband is a PM shift nurse, also. Instead of small snacks throughout the shift, he prefers one large meal of grilled chicken and veggies and just one snack of almonds. Truly, it's more of a matter of survival for me. lol! But, I drink an enormous amount of water while at work. I only have 15 months left and I can get off night shift forever. As far as exercise, that is hard. Most of the time I feel like crap due to working PM's. I just listen to my body each day, and do what is needed. For example, I am going to try and run 3 miles tomorrow. It may happen when I get off before going to bed, or when I wake up, before going back into work. But, if I need extra sleep just to get through tomorrow's PM shift, then I'll skip the run. But, like you mentioned, I definitely prioritize my workouts on my days off. I work 3 shifts a week, so that does allow for good workouts on off days.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I lost weight working overnights. I think it still boils down to calories. I ate three meals, just like I would've working days.

My meals were flipped. When I woke, I ate dinner type foods (whatever late-husband had cooked for dinner). Lunch was on lunch break, and breakfast foods when I got off work. I would get off work, go home, and cook breakfast foods, mainly because my husband and daughter were starting their day.

• GregInORL
    GregInORL Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Hello! I’m a Nurse and work 12 hour overnight shifts and have been for the past three years. It makes any routine nearly impossible as my schedule changes weekly. Everyone always says you gain weight working the overnight shift but does anyone have recommendations on weight loss working the 3rd shift. Either when they eat, how much, what they eat ect. I almost always put on about 10k steps at work each night, but don’t drink a lot of water during my work nights (too busy which is a bad excuse) and it’s hard to fit in working out on a work night while working 12 hour shifts that turn into 13-14 hours. I normally fit it my workouts on my off days. Any suggestions are welcomed and appreciated :)

2 bigger meals and maybe a snack helped me a lot on nights dropping 60+ pounds. I also am lucky to be able to get 10k steps in during my shift and 1 hour lunch, though I know that may not be possible for everyone depending on your responsibilities. I usually eat right before my shift around 8, and then around 1am. Then small something when I get home, or a bit bigger if I'm running from there.
  • missjck2
    missjck2 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I work 12's and switch from nights to days every two months. Its the first couple days of switching over that are tricky for me. I throw in a rest day to make the transition easier but generally work out 6x weekly. I pretty much eat around the same time and work out on a semi schedule. I also stay on the same schedule when Im off (sleeping, working out, eating etc). Snacks laying around at work/the vending machine are tempting but self control is important - I am an adult right lol. I bring my food/snacks and do not drink my calories, thankfully I love water. Its possible you just have tweak your approach to figure out what works for you.